Suddenly won't fire 😩

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Randall, it may have been just flooded all along. How does this happen? How can you flood a fuel injected engine? For an explanation, let's take a journey back to yesteryear. In the old days, the fuel mixture was enriched on a cold start by applying the choke. On a fuel injected engine, there is no choke so the ECU enriches the fuel mixture by increasing the injector pulse width on a cold start. The ECU calculates the pulse width based upon input from the coolant temp sensor. The colder the temp the longer the pulse width and as the engine warms the injector pulse with is decreased accordingly. If the engine is started cold and immediately turned off, the combustion chamber is saturated with a rich fuel mixture that has not had a chance to burn off. If the engine is once again started cold the combustion chamber is now once again saturated with an enriched fuel mixture and thus flooded. Knowing this, it is always a good idea to leave an engine run at least a minute or two after a cold start. If you are just starting the engine for a periodic winter warmup, let it run at least 20 minutes to allow the engine to reach operating temperature and boil off any accumulated acids in the oil.

Mike

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
That appears to have been the case, here. I ran it a bit longer last night, presumably long enough to lean the mixture.
It started and ran just fine this morning.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
When ever I have any ICE that fail to fire, I ask myself, Spark or gas?. Opening the throttle to clear a flood is a good idea. Then I try starter fluid and see if it trys to start. If it doesnt, I pull a plug, make sure the threads are grounded, and look for a spark in a dark place when trying to start....

Top Bottom