Suggestions for an all purpose gadget mount?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
GPS city has all kinds of mounting ideas. See if you like anything. There prices always seemed near the best when I was shopping around for various cradles, ram balls, etc.....

I tried gps mounts in the unused mirror mount hole by the left grip and ended up with a center mount Ram ball. The disadvantages to the left unused mirror mount were the handlebar vibrates more at the ends, gps exposed to bug & rain, and moving my focus from the road then down and left and back to the road seemed excessive. With the center mount, my eyes simply move down, then back up to the road. Your results will centainly be different.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+1 on the center mount, Dan. Much less distraction for me than the mirror mount or clutch mount.

taldric

I will agree. Center mount is a much better choice both to avoid the vibration as well as keeping attention on the road. Since I use my iPhone for GPS, media, communications, etc. I only needed to find an appropriate mount for it. One mount, one device, complete solution.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have one of these on my NT and love it.
http://www.sporttouringgear.com/
The prototype got made on my bike and took most of the day to produce. Have the production piece on my bike now and have hung a number of different devices off it.

How much do you value your time? This solution is sorted and ready to go with everything you need to put it on including clear instructions in the box. Lets you spend more time riding...

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I have a handlebar clamp mount for using a gps similar to the ebay ad from OP except it has a cradle, not zippered case. It has been used on a bicycle and 2 motorcycles other than the NT. The only problem with this type is some handlebars just don't have a decent mounting location to make the gps face the rider, no matter what I tried. Never tried using the handlebar clamp mount on the NT, but you may want to consider this possible problem.

I've spent more than your $30 requirement, $42 plus the MCL top bridge with Ram ball mount holes, plus all the electical bit & pieces to power it. But all the Ram Balls, extension arms, etc....have multiple uses for other mounting applications, so when I do get a new GPS or Phone or Tablet or Cup Holder, it won't be much to convert. Also, very impressed with Ram Ball mounting system ease of use and rock solid strength.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jerry, I've got MCL's bar risers and bar clamp, like Dan mentioned. Works absolutely great for my Street Pilot 2720. I may use another RAM ball in the left mirror mount hole to mount my GPS V when I go to Alaska.

No plastic removal at all for either of those choices.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had a RAM ball mount up on the dash like Karl's. It worked well. Now I have a RAM ball mounted on my handlebar clamp.

The RAM mount I have is the universal version (for my Samsung SIII). I also have their Aqua box. I switch depending on what kind of conditions I am riding in. Around here most of the time it is the universal mount since it is easy to slip the phone in and out and all the buttons are accessible.

The Aqua box has been modified. The rubber 'screen' that comes with it is useless when it comes to glare. I cut it out and glued a thin piece of clear plastic in place. It only allows access to the 'home' button on the front of the phone, but, I can still operate the touchscreen with my summer gloves on.

None of these are really cheap if you have to buy the whole setup, about $50.

The cheapest was this one
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045049056048045071049085/Default.aspx
I trimmed it and mounted it where Karl's setup is. It vibrated quite a bit in that position.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's another elegant RAM mounting solution. Those guys are ingenious.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I use a RAM mount that replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Doesn't vibrate, is out of the breeze and bugs. Now that my NT has MCL bar risers, it has the threaded hole in the clamp center. yay!

I looked at the shelf, but.... Since I bought Prof's bike, and finally saved up for the all the Tupperware, I was looking at the plastic part that the shelf would mount to. Not all that sturdy. Shelf is a great idea, but I'm really not trusting that flimsy piece of plastic to hold up in the long run.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The shelf mounting area is more than adequate for holding phones or GPS units. I would not put a full size tablet on there, but, the regular stuff is fine.

I may have to revisit the upper mount and see if Ican adjust for glare like I can on the bar mount.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got to agree with Charlie. The top of the dash is plenty sturdy. I had my GPS mounted to the dash top on both my Concours -- they wore out before the dash mount did.

But, I personally like the MCL bar clamp RAM mount for my Street Pilot 2720.

OP
OP

Kebmo

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and reports. I ended up obtaining a cheapo handlebar $6.00 mount that worked with what i had already available, but I don't like it long term. As many of you have said, a center mount cuts the vibration and is a more pleasant placement. I think I'm going to go that route. It's still a toss up between a shelf mount or tank mount though. I want whatever add-on instrument i'm looking at, to be out of the wind, stationary, and in easy view...directly in front of you satisfy's all those requirements. I think Dan's layout would probably be best for a single display and the shelf mount 3 ball for those of you that just can't have enough gadgets. Now I just need to ride more and decide which route.

Id4rob

I purchased and installed a MC Larry 1" riser on my NT and opted for the model with multiple RAM ball locations plus a BMW-style charger port. So, I purchased a RAM Cradle Holder - Universal X-Grip? Cell Phone Holder with 1" Ball:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078055066085/Default.aspx

It works great! I use it to mount my iPhone 4S with the timeout off and use the Google map app as a GPS. Although I now mount my phone 90 degrees (landscape, not portrait) from the orientation depicted on the website, when I previously mounted it as shown, experience gave me complete faith in its ability to hold my phone securely. I drive a 65 mile one-way daily commute, weather permitting, and it includes interstate, state highway and city driving as well as some railroad crossings at various speeds and the X-Grip has always held my phone securely.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I second that. I've had the Xgrip for over 2 years now, since I got my Samsung phone. It has over 10k miles on the NT and now about 10k more on the Guzzi, including some really rough paved and dirt roads. Never a hint of letting go.

FYI,it also works if you put your phone inside a plastic bag to protect it from rain :)

If you want to use your phone for a GPS then you owe it to yourself to get a GPS app so you can still use it when out of cell range (and you won't run up data charges). OMSand is a free one. I like Copilot. You can also get Tom-Tom or Garmin (iPhone only).

And get a high current USB adaptor. Phones use more than 500mA when the GPS and screen are on full time.

Top Bottom