Sun shades

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm making up a mount system for my GPS and cell phone on a RAM ball. But the thing I'm looking for now is a sun shade to make the screens more readable in bright light. I saw one of you fine folks had a detachable sun shade made of a stiff fabric that was held on by elastic or velcro. Can't remember who had it or where it came from. It was possibly at the TNT rally last spring.

So does anyone have any good source for a device sun shade or is this going to be a DYI project. Of course the two devices are not the same size so I'll need two shades. I made one last year out of aluminum flashing and it worked OK, but it took up too much room in my tank bag when not in use because it was rigid. The fabric one looks to be a better option.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I made one at home using a black plastic 3-ring notebook divider for the cover material. Just score the plastic about half way through where you want it fold over for the sides. I used heavy duty Velcro to mount it which had mixed results... My problem was the heat around here would cause the Velcro's adhesive to pull off the plastic either on the cover or my GPS rather than the Velcro separating.

If you don't want to make one there are usually some pretty cheap ones on eBay. Search for "GPS shade".

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I made one at home using a black plastic 3-ring notebook divider for the cover material. Just score the plastic about half way through where you want it fold over for the sides. I used heavy duty Velcro to mount it which had mixed results... My problem was the heat around here would cause the Velcro's adhesive to pull off the plastic either on the cover or my GPS rather than the Velcro separating.

If you don't want to make one there are usually some pretty cheap ones on eBay. Search for "GPS shade".
Yep, the velcro won't take the heat. Has anyone tried 3M DuoLoc?
Anyone with experience with the GlareStomper?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I found the glare shields to be not worth the trouble.

When on the RAM mount just tilt the screen until the glare goes away. I find that tilting it toward me most of the time works best. And, yes, it works in direct sunlight, both with my automotive style GPS, my iPhone and my Android phone. The biggest problem I had with glare was the reflection of the sun on my yellow jacket. Until I tilted it down, nothing worked.

bicyclist

I made one at home using a black plastic 3-ring notebook divider for the cover material.
I did the same except that it was made from a cheap report binder. I didn't have a problem with the Velcro, but would have found a stronger glue to stick it on with if I had.

It was a very inexpensive shade, cheap enough to try and throw away if you're not satisfied.

edit: I had a look at the Glarestomper site and that shade looks like one I saw on a bike at a rally. I was impressed with the way it worked. It's attached with Velcro that uses a high temperature glue and folds down over the screen when you want to pack the receiver away. They make them for a bunch of different sized units and there's a selector on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Frosty, which GPS do you have? Which mounting system. I've got the Zumo 390LM in a Ram Mount and it looks like the Glarestomper would interfere with the RAM mount...or vice-versa.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Frosty, which GPS do you have? Which mounting system. I've got the Zumo 390LM in a Ram Mount and it looks like the Glarestomper would interfere with the RAM mount...or vice-versa.
The GPS is my second nuvi 1390 (close out Shopko and EBay). Not waterproof but only $70. Velcro is on the Ram mount and GPS top. I added a "chin strap" with double sided velcro. Works good for me.

Attachments

Top Bottom