SuperFlow HV-18 pump test

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I bought a Q industries SuperFlow HV-18 airpump for my NT as I liked the small size and many different electrical connections, and it all fit in a pouch. And the Amazon reviews
were good. So I decided to do a small test to see how she would do.
I took my Connie's bike battery out of the basement and set it down besides her as she is pickeled for the winter in the garage, on her sidestand. I put on a four amp charger on the battery to simulate the bike charging system at idle. Then, I let out the air from the rear tire till I got to seven lbs. Amazingly, I could not tell that the tire was that low and it even still felt quite hard. I then put the pump on the tire and using the allagator clips to the battery terminals, put the power to the pump and turned on the pump for exactly three minutes. The pump is rated for 20 minutes continuous and 240 psi. The pump was actually pretty quiet and when I removed it, I wouldn't say it was very hot at all. In those three minutes, Connie's gold wing rear tire went from 7 psi to 20 psi. I would say that this is good performance and might actually improve with good electrical connetions, which are provided. I would give it a thumbs up. While it does not come with a gage, all my vehicles have EZ-tire gages with them which makes adjusting pressure up and down a snap anyway. I am going to get another one of these for Connie to replace the foot operatied one I carried since the last century.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Those little electric pumps are so convenient. Thanks for the review.

One note about pumping up very low tires with small electric pumps. The air will be quite warm coming out of the pump and you should consider any air pressure you are reading as a "warm" reading and not a "cold" reading. Come back in a few hours and you'll note a good decrease in air pressure reading on that pumped up tire. The warm air in the tire will have cooled and with it a reduction in the air pressure. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Slime makes a pump with a gage that also has multiple power options. I have seen this pump in auto stores in the $30.00 range. I carry one on the bike.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The Slime 40001 pump looks almost exactly like the HV-18 with the same options and I would bet they come out of the same factory with a different colored case....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Those little electric pumps are so convenient. Thanks for the review.

One note about pumping up very low tires with small electric pumps. The air will be quite warm coming out of the pump and you should consider any air pressure you are reading as a "warm" reading and not a "cold" reading. Come back in a few hours and you'll note a good decrease in air pressure reading on that pumped up tire. The warm air in the tire will have cooled and with it a reduction in the air pressure. :)
Good point. When I do my test of my next one, I will do a cooldown test and see what the effect is. Of course, if you use these things on the road after a puncture, you would be stopping after the first mile, 5th mile, 10th mile, etc to check the pressure till you got to civilization anyway

Top Bottom