Tail light R & R

Bike
2010 Red NT700
OK
I'm going to ask for help and I don't want to hear how much a shop manual costs and where to get one.

I need to replace a tail light bulb...so, if you know the answers

Where do I gain access to the tail light bulbs?
How do I do it?
Can I buy the bulbs at the corner parts house?

Are there any tips, tricks or lessons learned that will save me some heartburn while doing it?

???

Thanks in advance
Clay

skiper

Be sure to keep a cheeseburger nearby in case of delays and detours or to celebrate cause you did it easily and well ..

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks, for the tips!
I dont have big hands, but they ain't little either...I hate tight spots, but I'll Git R Done

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If it makes you feel better its 100 times easier than replacing the headlight bulbs although I do have small hands

skiper

Confuscious Ask - How many NT - Owners does it take to change a light bulb ? :) only joshing - guys .. it's actually quite a skill to write clear instructions and it's cool to ask , rather than blunder things up .. don't forget to laugh alittle today , go for a ride and -or spread some cheer. If you can't then have a drink ..

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
go for a ride
Now that I am back working 7:00-3:30 I am riding to work every day and having fun doing it
Nothing like bookending a workday doing something you love
Hopping on the bike to ride home is the thing I count down to every afternoon

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Looking at the pictures of the bulbs on the site they actually look brighter than stock...

JQL

Bike
"Ask someone who's already installed them" is not the same as "read customer reviews"...

Subtle difference.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I recently changed out the stop/tailight bulbs on my FJR with LEDs. Harder than the NT, actually as Yamaha was more skimpy with slack in the wires, though the procedure is the same. (In the case of the NT I was just replacing burnt-out incandescents with new incandescents)

Anyway, to get back to the LEDs: I put one in and then turned the bike on and satisfied myself I had the exact same illumination in both running and stop light mode from the LEDs as with the incandescents, by comparing the two side by side (neither bulb was burned out in this case). But there are different replacement bulbs available, and some will no doubt be unsatisfactory. Mine are 1157 equivalents that I got from Vizi-tec, with red LEDs. They have 4 LEDs on each of 5 stalks around the sides, and 6 LEDs more facing straight back through the lens. For a total of 26 each. The rationale behind using red ones is that, if you use white, the lights are made red by dint of filtering some of that light energy out, allowing only red wavelength(s) through.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Last summer at the Pre-National Rally Rally, Kevin ("Artemedes" on the Forum) was there on his DR-650. He'd replaced the incandescent bulbs on the DR with LED bulbs and they were much dimmer than incandescent bulbs and you could barely see an increase in brightness when he hit the brakes.

JQL

Bike
So subtle it's insignificant :tongue:
Which is why I said I'd rather actually see them in person than trust someone either in a review or in an email who's afraid to admit they made a bad purchase.
Sorry but you've lost me there. You speak to someone who's actually installed them or you read a review which the website owner may have written. A world of difference!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I changed both bulbs just so they would start out even

I used 2057s based on Rick's earlier post...$5

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But not everyone is as mechanically inept as you are, my friend. :)

Top Bottom