tank panniers, anyone try them?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have not tried them but know a few who have tried different versions of those on Guzzi's. The fairing will probably get in the way on the NT. Don't see how they could drape over the sides of the fairing. even if you could they would be right in the path of the airflow coming out of the radiator.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
PS you might be able to drape them over the narrow panniers to give you more storage in back. Kinda like a cheaper version of the large pannier lids :)

OP
OP

loonytuna

Charlie

I thought of that, I wonder if it would work!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I found these and they are reasonably priced, wonder if anyone uses these or anything similar. http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html
I don't think those are going to fit real well over the front Tupperware on the NT. They would work really well on my Wee with crash bars to tie them down to though...

PS you might be able to drape them over the narrow panniers to give you more storage in back. Kinda like a cheaper version of the large pannier lids
Not a bad idea at all... But instead of these I'd use regular full size soft saddle bags to get a lot more storage when needed...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Like Wayne said. Get the full size soft bags and strap over the panniers. Might want to put a flannel/neoprene layer in between to keep from scratching the lids (like what tank bags have under them).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They might fit in front of the hard panniers with the bottoms somewhere near the passenger footpegs. I can see that having some real potential.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I have had them for about two years now and they're terrific. They're top notch construction, very water resistant and are showing just a little fading after the intensity of the desert sun. I honestly have never tried them on the NT because it has ample storage space for my needs. I use them as tank bags on the Buell, and also on the back of my old CB.

I'll see if they can fit on the NT and update tomorrow...

P.s I think mine of the standard version in Black. If I remember right the competition was the smaller of the two.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have a set of them with about 100,000 on them. They were on my wing from the fall of o4 until I traded it for NT in January this year. I have not gotten arround to trying them on NT but maybe in next couple of day I can. I used mine on the wing with little twist connnector holes and reinforced the tops with teflon . This allowed them to be attached to the pins with the twist end put through them to hold them in place to bottom of the seat and the bags rested on the passenger floor boards. the have held up very well, although mine are the black ones. The zippers have ben entirley trouble free carried a 70 ounce water container system in one and the other was a catch all , but I was, and still am happy with them.

If they wont work for your tank you have a very good source not too far from you. Linda T custom tank bags is in the Keys I think about 1/2 way between Florida City, and Key West. She builds custom tank bags and her work is very good. You probably could call her and set up a appointment and take your wife along with you and let her look at what you want & there is no doubt in my mind; she can build what ever you want. It will be quality work and will do your job for years to come. Only thing is she is in the same the other high quality custom gear people. She is not cheap on price. I would rate her work on bags in the same catagory as Langlitz Leathers, or Aerostich riding suits, Russell Seats ETC, One differance between her and Aerostich, she is flexable and will build to your individual specs and desires, only other thing is she normaly has a back log of work so you will most likley have to wait once you place your order. She is a active rider as well as a well experienced bag maker.

The bag she built for my wing had Panniers on it multiple zippered pockets and were large enough to puttwo 20 oz water bottles and one smaller bottle on each side, plus a couple pair of gloves in a ajoining pocket, also room in each one for a motel book like one from Supper-8 , and another from Motel 6. The area of the bags that met the tank has a soft material tht never did any serious damage to the painr on the wingand I did not go to any extra effort to maintain it, maybe it got a coat of way put on it once per year. The bike is on the local dealers floor night now and you would never know that the tank had ever seen a set of panniers on it.

Eldon

Bike
I will try and get to try them in the morning and will report back afterwards. Mine may prove interesting with the Hepko - Becker tank guard in place, They may cover up my HMW Roundels! The tank guard will maybe provide a good mouting place and set them out enough to provide some extra wind protection too.
We will see what tomorrow brings. I had another project for tomorow, but the more I think about this the more courious I am.

My Linda T tank bag was a little too big to fit the tank top, it worked , but was santching at teh bars, and truthfully I hadn't even thought about using the panniers in this manner. I f I had better light in shed I would go out thre now ,but I will wait until I gt up and am having coffee to do it.

Eldon

Last edited:
OP
OP

loonytuna

Thanks Eldon & Bob - I'm anxious to hear your reports!

Bike
Aerostich panniers bags:

1. Phil's thought regarding mounting them in front of the hard bags and resting on pasenger foot pegs; I don't think this to be workable, I believe they will not leave you room for your legs to worl well when stoping starting etc. The straps migh go through under the seat and be either laid over framework and wiring etc, of be secured to main frame, to simply use the seat to support the straps they will be under your but and probably cause iritation

2. Charley B's thought of using them over rear bag lids could work , but make them rather wide like if filled to capacity like with a gallon water jug inside of one, yes it will fit! but that will have them sticking out quite a distance Think a extra 6 - 7 inches on each side, also in that position if carrying a pinion rider as in # 1, unless you run straps under seat passenger will be setting on them maybe mounting them to frame would work. I didn't go to the extent of pulling seat to check, also I didn't go to the point of crawling arround on floor to see if there is a place to secure the bottom flex rops to keep them from flaping in the breeze. Again it would work but not for me and I very rarley pack a passenger.

3. Mounting in front over gas tank: Yes it will work I have the honda tank pad mountged on my bike also I have the horseshoe looking devise to mount the tank bag to the fuel tank lid. with the tank bag removed the hooks that it attaches to work well to kee the back strap in place, if tank bag is secured to the horseshoe ring the rear bag straps go under it with no problem and won't hinder fuel door access.
The front straps will cross the fuel tank in front of the fuel door. I didn't acurally do the next thing which would be to take a security strap and run it arround the steering head and put it arround the cross over strap, but I think it would probably be a very good idea.
The Bottom of the bags are nicley resting on the top of the tip over bumpers. To hold the bottom of the bags there are several options, for those of us who have The(UGLY) Hepco - Brecker tank guard system htere is ample room to put the security elastic rop arround it , or the freeway pegs . Another possibility I didn't get into would be attaching the stretch strap to the main tipover bar under the rubber bumper pad, for those of us who have AUX driving lights mounted to them I don't think that would be a good place. possibly go to bottom of main frame or maybe rider foot pebs. OR if you want to drill a hole in the tupper-ware you could go to that, BUT I DON"T RECOMEND that as it would probably crack out or break. with the Bottoms of bags resting on tip over bar pads they do not interfear with handle bar clearance / movement,I have 1 inch higher than stock and one inch to rear risers so I can't say how this will work with stock bar risers.

My bags are the large size and will hold a 1 gallon Igloo water jug with ease for diamiter, although closing the zipper is not possible all the way arround. There is rooom with the hard jug to place a bag or two of Jerky in same area along with water. Oh yes one other point, with the straps and bags in place the straps are going over the little storage pockets so the will not be handy to access with out moving some things.

My bags have a 1/2 thick rubber pad tha sets between the bag and the surface it lays against.

I did shoot some oictures, but I am not into figuring out how to post them, If anyone wants to see them send me a PM with a email address and I will try to download and send them to you.

I did set on the bike with the bags in place over the tank, They will make a bit better wind buffer , My thoughts , weather not ot my liking to try a ride with them yet today. Maybe a little later. I wish I were on the SE coast , I would call Linda T. and make the trip to the Keys and have her do her magic . A thinner and perhaps differant angle could be done and possibly a better mount and security system created.

I speculate that she will be in Denver at the IBA International meet in August, if she is I will get her to look ath this bike if she has not already done so.

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I suspect this thread may have died of old age by now but if not here goes. I own a set made by the Italian firm FAMSA that includes the tank bag as well. The zip-off tank bag reveals the gas filler cap which makes refueling pretty simple and the bag itself is well thought out with map case, etc. The panniers zip onto the tank bag and are secured using the adjustable straps provided. Mine is set up for my Ninja 650R using the same filler cap location as the BMW 800 dual sport. You can order a generic version if your bike isn't included on their model list. I bought mine on line from Helmet Head, think the package ran around $300 or so.

Here's a link to a review on webBikeWorld:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/famsa-260/

And here's a link to the installation on my Ninja:
http://larrylarry7575.blogspot.com/2009/03/more-farkles-fanza-tank-set-arrives.html

The attached photo shows the package installed on the Ninja.

LL75 :D

Attachments

Top Bottom