Tank Protector - Side

kenstone

There are cut to fit kits out there, but I think are a bit pricey at $40-$50 and some precut magnetic stuff too, in different colors.
I'm thinking about taping off the tank and spraying on some plasti-cote to protect the paint.
I have a crap tank from another bike that I plan to test/practice on 1st though:redface:
Maybe someone has done this already;)
And will post about it.
Then there's covers that are kind of like a bra on a car
Maybe even Vinyl Wrap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-3D-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Adhesive-Wrap-Sheet-10-x30-/380768840958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a7976cfe&vxp=mtr

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Can't say I've had this. I HAVE, however, completely rubbed the paint off the frame where my heels apparently make continuous contact. I have not seen that on any other bikes.

kenstone

Ok
Wow, just wow
check out these:eek1:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Deauville-NTV-700-Top-Sellerie-Gas-Tank-Cover-Bra-Choose-Colors-/271216475620?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f25c2fde4&vxp=mtr

Rode my new black bike to a World of Outlaws night race and parked on the 1st turn so I could see my bike from the grandstand, during the race.
The track was lit up like daylight, the parking lot not so much.
I rode 3 hours home and when I looked at my bike the next day, my knees had rubbed the track dust thru the paint in the tank:doh1:

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I use the Hondaline carbon fiber side pads for the tank...they can be had via Honda or Amazon.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You can purchase clear vinyl sheets, SPF-1000, that you can cut to size for this purpose. Whitehorse Gear sells it. It can be easily removed as well.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The TankSlapper sells pre-cut sheets for the NT. They have two different kits for the tank (tank slapper or 3M) as well as a kit for the top of the tank and the headlight. The tank slapper is "static cling" and can be removed and reapplied. The 3M is much thicker, stickier, but only good for a single application. You can still pull the 3M off if you want but you can't reapply it like the tank slapper.

We have the tank slapper for the tank (top and sides). It works really well. When it gets a bit dirty, we pull it off, wash it off, and put it back on. We also purchased a sheet of the tank slapper and cut out pieces for the saddlebags and the lower pieces of the fairing near your shins. When installed well, you can barely see the clear version.

I'm getting some scratches or rub marks on the sides of the tank. Although my knees appear to be touching below this area on the vinyl padded portion, I'm guessing my knees must touch the sides of the tank and any dirt on the tank is getting rubbed in.

Does anyone else find this happening? If so, what do you do to protect it? The normal tank protector, like that sold by David Silver Spares, is for the center area of the tank, not the sides.

Chris

Marker

I just went to my local car detailer/graphics place and got a few pieces of stone guard from their scrap bin. Went with a gift for coffee at Tim's (our Canadian Dunkin doughnuts).

Cut to shape I needed and applied to various places. Virtualy no cost and works well.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Mellow has a good source for that kind of stuff...
I really like what he used on his Wee (motorcycle)
Joe?

Top Bottom