Texas! My ride to the 50th High School Reunion

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pictures of this trip are in my Albums in the Gallery under the names: "Texas! My 50th Reunion Trip" (or something like that) and "Texas: Part Deux".

As most of you know I left here (Ft Morgan, CO) on June 1 to go to my 50th reunion. It was beautiful -- calm and cool -- for about the first 50 miles. Then between Akron and Anton, CO, the wind went from dead calm to 30-40mph straight out of the south. It stayed that way!

The route I took, Akron - Anton - Cope - Siebert, Kit Carson, Eads, Wylie, Holly... all in CO -- is mainly empty. Big wheat farms, large acreage for grazing a few cattle...we are in what Horace Greeley called the "Great American Desert." Our average annual rainfall is under 15" and for the last couple of years its been closer to 9-10" ANNUALLY!

About the time I passed Wylie, the temperature went above 100F. And it mostly stayed there until I was almost home. I'd guess that 2200+miles were with winds of above 30 and temperatures above 100F.

I stopped at the Mid-America Aviation Museum in Liberal, Kansas and wandered around there for an hour or so. Nice break from the heat. Then I cut through the panhandle of Oklahoma east of Guymon, and was back in Texas at Perryton and Canadian. I made it to Elk City, OK, my intended overnight stop at around 6:30 and hunted for a motel until about 7:30 or so before giving up and going south another 60 miles to Altus, OK. I stayed at a "Budget Motel" there. It fit the name, but the bed was OK and the AC worked.

The next morning I went south instead of east as I had planned and got into Texas about 25 miles later. The temperature was back up over 100 before I crossed the Red River and the wind was pushing 50mph. When I turned east on 287, it was a 90-degree crosswind and brutal in the 105 heat.

After Wichita Falls, I was in more trees on US-82 and the wind got broken up a bit.

(It's late...I'm going to close this and go to bed. I'll add to it soon.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Artra, you don't need to bow; just send money as an offering. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Artra,

I was a private pilot for a several years and always took seriously my Dad's injunction about flying (Dad was an execuive pilot with over 30,000 hours at retirement; spent the lasty ten years flying an MU-2): He said, "If you're flying a small plane, always remember, there is absolutely no where you HAVE to be." He was right. We had several trips when we parked it for the night.

I'e done the same thing on the motorcycle. I'd like to keep my schedule all the time, but my schedule isn't as important as the ability to do the ride after the one I'm on.

On my last day, I thought seriously about stopping 160 miles from home and decided there was still plenty of light to get me to familiar roads and only 80 miles from home. Thought about stopping then, decided after a walk around that I still had energy and focus. I wouldn't be afraid to stop even closer than that.

It was, BTW, truly amazing how old some of those old people had gotten. Some of us, on the other hand, still looked pretty darned good!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am still processing my 50Th HS Reunion. Nobody was surprised that I showed up on a motorcycle. I had one as a senior. The Lime Green Ninja did raise a few eyebrows. My good friend showed up in his all original mint condition 65 GTO. Some of us never really grew up--others never had the chance. We lost seven guys in Vietnam--a few others got beat up a bit. Most of the people stayed close to home in Central NY.

Top Bottom