The Devils Gulch and Glen Haven

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So today I woke up with the idea of riding up to Lyons and taking my favorite Canyon to Estes Park (ST Vrain Canyon Hiway 7) and check out how Devils Gulch and Glen Haven are fairing after almost nine months after the Sept 2013 Floods. I have to say, even after this amount of time I was awe struck by the devastation that flash floods can do in the mountain canyons. If one is not a believer of the power/force of flash floods, go take this drive. These canyons were a beautiful ride with the stream running along the road. Scenic pull outs for picnic and fishing were plentiful. Some times the stream was obscured by tall pine trees, and a short hike down the embankment through the trees was necessary. Sharing the creek side were expensive houses and cute rustic cabins, that dotted the creek line of St. Vrain Canyon (South ST. Vrain Creek) and most of the meandering creek (North Fork of the Big Thompson River) of Devils Gulch. During the fishing season, when I rode these canyons the breakfast aroma of fried bacon and eggs would waft across the road from the fishing camps and cabins, and find its way into my helmet, to be savored by my sense of smell.

Today I navigated the curves a bit slower as to let my eyes and mind take in the devastation that had transpired back in September. It was difficult to focus on the sights as my eyes welled up with tears thinking of the people who had their homes and futures washed down stream in an instant. Very moving. The scars that have been left on the landscape are going to take generations to repair and heal. What use to be beautiful ride along the flowing crooked streams are now just repaired pavement along a wide gravel and sand pit, a path for the spring snow melt to find its way down out of the mountains. After making my way down 34 along the Big Thompson Canyon, Hiway 34, I headed over to Berthoud to have lunch at Grandpa's Cafe. They have a new location and I wanted to check them out. Made a detour up and around Cater Lake. Beautiful small reservoir that has numerous sail boats tacking back and forth on it during the summer. On to lunch and then just flat land riding on home. All in all, a great ride of 200+ miles. ................................................ When is there not a Great Ride?;)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...a=dme&mrsp=15&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,13&t=m&z=10

Attachments

• SAM_2712.jpg
    SAM_2712.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 20
  • SAM_2714.jpg
    SAM_2714.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
  • SAM_2716.jpg
    SAM_2716.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 17
  • SAM_2717.jpg
    SAM_2717.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SAM_2723.jpg
    SAM_2723.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
  • SAM_2726.jpg
    SAM_2726.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SAM_2728.jpg
    SAM_2728.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SAM_2727.jpg
    SAM_2727.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I just love that whole area
I am waffling between staying close to home this year or doing another tour of CO on my way to Spearfish
I don't think I will make it to the TNT

Chuck, I haven't been west of Lyons or Loveland since the floods. Thanks for posting the pictures. When I lived in Loveland, I would regularly ride my bicycle to Estes, either up 34 or through Glen Haven and Devil's Gulch. (One of my favorite bicycle memories is of the time I passed a Goldwing in the double switchbacks coming down Devil's Gulch on a bicycle. He passed me back very briskly just before I reached my bicycle terminal velocity of 58mph right after the second switchback.)

The damage was as devastating as I was afraid it would be.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be around the week after Easter? I think I'll have time to come in for a tire change if you're up for it and available.

I could probably do it any day between Monday the 21st and Thursday the 24th.

I could probably do it any day between Monday the 21st and Thursday the 24th.
That would, work as I am in Moab next week doing some dirt riding and will be back on the 17th April and I leave for Hutchinson BBQ on the 25th of April. 18th thru the 24th is your window of opportunity. Are you going to be changing both tires or ? Bring em on down.

Chuck, I'm just planning on changing the rear tire now. My PR3 on the front only has about 5K on it. I'll try to give you plenty of warning about the day I'd like to come.

Have fun in Moab. It's a place I've ridden through, and, back in the day when I rode bicycles, I always wanted to take my mountain bike down and ride the Slickrock. I've ridden UT-46/CO-90 between US-191 and Naturita and I've driven UT-128 between Moab and I-70, but not ridden it. I'm assuming you're taking the DR650 for that trip. It ought to be a great time.

Chuck, I'm just planning on changing the rear tire now. My PR3 on the front only has about 5K on it. I'll try to give you plenty of warning about the day I'd like to come.

Have fun in Moab. It's a place I've ridden through, and, back in the day when I rode bicycles, I always wanted to take my mountain bike down and ride the Slickrock. I've ridden UT-46/CO-90 between US-191 and Naturita and I've driven UT-128 between Moab and I-70, but not ridden it. I'm assuming you're taking the DR650 for that trip. It ought to be a great time.
Yep, I will take a lot of pictures

Back
Top Bottom