The Farkles are Comming Hooray Hooray

Bike
Silver NT700V
So here's the list of farkles, planned and executed:

Wind deflectors - done. These were easy and they are very effective.

Tank Bag - done. Decided to go with Bag-Connections and Quick Lock mount from SW-Motech, available from Twisted Throttle. First bag was way too wide. Returned and got smaller bag, Day Pack II. You need a narrow bag to avoid the handlebars. Will put it on this week end and post pics. (see below for pics)

Seat - done. Ordered Sargent Premium Foam Upgrade which will produce a seat very like the World Sport. Should be here in a couple of weeks, will post pics. Received Sargent seat today. Will post review this weekend.

Horn - planned. Will likely use Stebel Nautilus from Twisted Throttle. Leaning toward also using the pre-fab wiring harness they offer.

Fuse Block - planned. Leaning toward the FuzBlock brand. Its a little expensive but only a few dollars more that others when you add a relay. Also, it is covered and sealed. Question, should I power the horn from the fuse block?

Fog/Driving Lights - Done. Likely (very) to use Denali lights. Small, lite, quality product. Mount is to be determined but leaning toward Morley Mount. Question, has Phil notices any ill effects ( wavering, giggling) with the fender mounts? Went with Denali D2 purchased in group buy on Two Wheeled Texans. Mounted to fender with Twisted Throttle kit.

Trunk - done. (Tentatively selected Givi V46 with Givi mount.) Re-evaluating. May go with Coo Case Astra S48. Case is complete with lights and signals, includes remote lock feature. With mount and adapter plate still $100 less than Givi or Honda. Ultimately went with JC Whitney. Same size as Givi E460, much less expensive.

Tail Lights - planned. Will likely use Admore LED lights with trunk. See above.

Bar Risers - Done. Installed MCL bar risers. Need became apparent on 500+ miler I rode. Sargent seat changed ergonomics to seat me lower and farther back than stock.

Any thought on priorities?

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Fuzeblock is in a box waiting to be installed.....Should get the NT700 delivered tomorrow....
I thank you for being the tester of driving lights and admore lights.
Will look up the Morley Mount.....

freezingalaskan

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck asked: "Question, has Phil notices any ill effects ( wavering, giggling) with the fender mounts?"

Nope. None whatsoever. I'm sure that there are some negative effects if I were able to get anywhere near ultimate cornering demands. The lights are unsprung weight, but with our unsophisticated suspension, I doubt if anyone is going to get near the ultimate. I'm sure not!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Chuck - I have had a Givi V46 for years and kept it when I sold my last bike, then transferred to the Deauville. I used a separate relay for my horn setup (dual Fiamms), which I chose mainly because of the space problems under the plastic.
The hot wire from the original horn button subharness is now the "trigger wire" for the relay. If you did it without a 2nd relay, then the original wires would have to carry the current and they appear to be no larger than what I'd call "speaker wire."

MAC

Chuck, just another place to look for stuff.

Look into Sport Tour, LTD -- www.sporttour.com ( 513 )761-0936

I bought my Givi V46 from them, it was $ 245.00 with free S/H with no tax and I had it in 3 days.

I bought the Givi Rack # E221.m5 from Twisted Throttle $ 99.00 + tax = $ 105.93 total.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Question, should I power the horn from the fuse block?
I would not, the Horn is "mission essential" and I would not want it wired it through the Fuzeblock. Two reasons; First the initial current draw of the Stebel, combined with other operating farkles on the FZ-1, could trip the 30AMP input on the FZ-1. Not good... Second, a large gauge wire direct from the battery will provide optimum power for the horn which will ensure maximum loudness. For that reason I would use the pre-fab relay harness or fab up my own relay harness personally...

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks for all the comments and feed back. I hadn't thought of the issues Wayne mentioned about powering the Nautilus horn. Will keep you posted.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Update.

Installed the tank bag today. It went on very easily once i got over being nervous about drilling holes in the tank bag. The mount seems very secure and is a really slick set up. Bag "floats" just off the tank so no marring of the finish. Here are the pictures:

The kit. Bag, upper ring, lower ring

Lower ring installed

Upper ring installed

Bag installed on bike

Bag with map carrier installed

I am looking forward to trying this out tomorrow.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Igo

Well tthat is very interesting. Cool beans. Let us know how it works on the road.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Received Sargent seat today. Put it on and sat on it on the center stand. Can tell right away it is wider and more firm than stock. The testing starts tomorrow on the commute. Will post a review Saturday after the "Pie Run" to Round Top, TX.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Installed MCL bar risers. Will try them out Saturday after 4000 mile service. Sargent seat moved me aft a bit so noticed more pressure on wrists. Experienced upper back tension and lower back issues on recent 500+ mile ride. Static test seems to indicate the risers will help.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

PS Managed to get them on without breaking anything.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Re-evaluating trunk. Looked hard at Coo Case on Twisted Throttle today. Case is complete with all the features I would have to add to Givi or Honda. With mount and adapter plate still comes in $100 less.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Re-evaluating trunk. Looked hard at Coo Case on Twisted Throttle today. Case is complete with all the features I would have to add to Givi or Honda. With mount and adapter plate still comes in $100 less.
Chuck, go to my album and you can see pictures of the CooCase. I've got the deluxe version. My observation is that the electronic lock can be a pain. Mine has quit working unless I push down on the top of the case while I click the fob. That's fine, because I like just being able to push the button to get in and out of the trunk. Most of the time the lights work, but they're not real bright.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
OK. Now I am re-thinking the re-thinking. The Coo Case does look good. I have checked your photos. BTW, I also like the simple Denali light mounts. do you have pics showing the lights on. Also, any diagnosis on the problem with the remote. I suppose manual locking and unlocking is OK. After all, that is how the panniers work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll try to get a picture or two of the Denali's turned on. As for the CooCase's intermittent locking deal, my guess is that I could tweak the prongs on the plug on the bottom of the tank and fix it.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Completed trunk project weekend before last and took new trunk on 980 mile "shakedown" last weekend. I went with he JC Whitney large trunk. Mounting went well thanks to the advice found elsewhere on the forum. Took it slow, packed the rear with rags, etc. Didn't lose anything in the "abyss". The trunk works well and accomplished the three things I need a trunk for:

1. Stay on the bike

2. Keep stuff off the road

3. Keep stuff dry

All in the cost was about $130.00. Trunk with shipping was $105, add $23 for various hardware bits and paint.

Pics (or it didn't happen)

I will also post a more complete review.

Chuck

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Installed Denali D2 Driving/Fog lights first weekend in February. Quite an odyssey. Worked about 9 hours on the install, mostly removing and replacing plastic. The initial install resulted in the lights working but only on bright, much like the D1. Removed plastic (again) and rearranged wiring. No change but 3 more hours of work. Finally had the wiring redone by Honda tech while doing 20,000 mile service in prep for a planned trip. Money well spent. The lights now work as intended and look great.

of course, pics (or it didn't happen)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Those really look good, Chuck. I'd sure like to see them side by side with my D1's. Maybe next time I'm in Texas, we can line up together and lighten up the night.

BTW, I was in Texas again three weeks ago, for my ex-wife's mother's funeral. Only got as far south as Mt Pleasant and didn't quite get home. I rode into blizzard conditions about 40 miles east of Denver and ended up spending the night there, and then got trailered (oh, the shame!) home.

Madmax

Question... Can I use a universal Givi mount and just drill holes and mount it to the black cover on the rear of my NT???

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Question... Can I use a universal Givi mount and just drill holes and mount it to the black cover on the rear of my NT???

I don't think you can. Twisted Throttle says that you need the SW-Mototech Alu-Rack for Givis or CooCase mounting. I wouldn't absolutely rule out the possibility of being able to not use something like that, but I'd be real careful.

Top Bottom