The old curiosity tool shop

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So I go into one of my favorite stores...Doughboy tools in Spokane.....if they dont have it, you dont need it...almost.
Old used and new tools, American made and off shore made....its one of those old stores with boxes and nooks and crannies....
Anyway, I saw this 1 1/16th inch open end extension for a breaker bar or torque wrench and thought...."I could buy this for only
$10 and shim it about 25 thou or so and use it to torque a 27 mm axel bolt. But what to shim it with? A glued on old piece of
feeler gage (the logical choice) or why not use a quality spring steel .303 British Empire stripper clip of which I have tons and
they have been around since the 1890s? As Red Green would say, "Cowboy up and get out the dremel tool!"

:rofl1:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Erm, I used the old .303 stripper clip when I was in the CCF.

In the days when we, in the UK, were still using Brens, Stens and .303 rifles!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I didn't even know they made an open wrench like this one. Solves the concern about not being able to do the Torque settings when using an open wrench on the 27mm axle bolt when you don't want the hassle of removing the muffler. I love to see ingenuity in action. thanks.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
They are called Crow's Foot wrenches.

If you use them with a torque wrench there is a conversion factor.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
They are called Crow's Foot wrenches.

If you use them with a torque wrench there is a conversion factor.
I figured there would need to be some kind of conversion given the placement of the torque wrench. Does it come with a conversion table?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The conversion would just be a matter of simple math. (He says as he realizes that he's completely unable to do the simple math.)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Where did you find that? Sounds like a useful source to bookmark.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
If you use the crowsfoot so it is at a 90 deg angle to the torque wrench, no conversion is needed. It is only used if the wrench is "extended" by the adapter or crowsfoot.
That makes it easier to get the torque right, but sometimes it feels a little awkward in that position.

Brad

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Erm, I used the old .303 stripper clip when I was in the CCF.

In the days when we, in the UK, were still using Brens, Stens and .303 rifles!
The Enfields were still in use into the 1960s in the UK...and are still in use in the Middle east.....
Some of mine are very accurate. But I hate the stripper clips....never got the hang of them....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Beautiful. Plus you can carry the un clipped ammo and appropriate applicator for that blind "son of a gun" that cuts you off next time...

Just kidding (you'd need the clip for that, wouldn't you.)
Thankfully, the Enfield doesnt need the clip...it just charges the magazine...but you can load the mag by hand.
Chris who prefers to carry a Beretta.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you use the crowsfoot so it is at a 90 deg angle to the torque wrench, no conversion is needed. It is only used if the wrench is "extended" by the adapter or crowsfoot.
That makes it easier to get the torque right, but sometimes it feels a little awkward in that position.

Brad
It isn't that awkward as long as you point the "mouth" in the direction you are pulling on the wrench. Makes it so it doesn't slip off too. But, sometimes you don't have a choice in how to line it up.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I wonder what the response would be if a gun rack was mounted on the topbox and an Enfield was in the rack???
When I was assigned in Arizona a buddy had several "Street Trials", as Dual Sports where called then, and we would load up rifles, and strap on our pistols, and ride out in the desert, or to a range, to plink on Saturday mornings. When riding with a rifle prominently displayed, fork mounted with a WW2 H-D WLA style scabbard, and wearing a .45ACP 1911 Pistol in a military style shoulder rig, the consistent response was that suddenly cagers could suddenly see you...and keep far away from you....

Locally there was a guy with a Ural who has it painted in WW2 Afrika Korp desert camouflage colors, complete with all the emblems and accessories, with a fake MG30 Machine Gun mounted on the sidecar, he said he never had a problem it traffic...even on I-285 on Friday rush hour. One of the folks who shows up at the local car shows has a restored WW2 Willy's Jeep set up "Rat Patrol" style with a fake Browning M2 .50 caliber Machine Gun very prominently mounted. He claims he doesn't have problems in traffic either....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hmmmmm....maybe an M-4 carbine on a swivel mount....but a Lewis gun over the Windscreen would be nice too....

Top Bottom