The Roadcrafter, 1 year later...

Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
So I've owned my Roadcrafter for 1 year now, and I've ridden in it for about 5,000 miles. It has never been comfortable for me, but based in part on the feedback I've gotten on this forum and from Aerostich, I have been religiously wearing it and waiting for the magical moment when it will break in and be comfortable for me.

Well, feel free to call me a slow learner, but I finally came to the conclusion that it will never be comfortable. And the reason is because it just does not fit me. I'm 6'2" tall, weigh about 220 lbs, and I ended up buying a 46R after visiting Rider Wearhouse in person and getting fitted.

I have a longer than average torso, and wider than average shoulders. This is a bad combination in my Roadcrafter, as it restricts and binds when I move my upper body. My biggest beef is the "cut" of the underarm material. I can barely lift my arms high enough to adjust collar, and when I do, it pulls the entire suit up into my crotch and...well, 'nuff said about that.

So my next plan of action is to talk to Aerostich about alterations. It will probably require the addition of the ellipse in the lower back ($60), upper body gussets under the arms ($60), and for good measure adding a couple inches to the lower leg ($60) (this is an alteration that they recommended when I was fitted). Plus the alteration fee ($50), which I hope doesn't apply to each individual alternation, and shipping costs if I don't want to wait until I can visit Duluth again.

I remember commenting to the guy fitting me about how tight it felt through the shoulders when I brought my arms together in front of me. And he joked that it doesn't matter because you don't move like that while you are riding. Maybe not, but the suit is uncomfortable enough where I don't really want to wear it anymore.

Hopefully the alterations will fix my problems enough so I can make peace with it. If not, I'll have to try to sell it and move on. So be careful about sizing when you order your Roadcrafter, even if you go there in person for fitting.

Oh yeah, I still hate the collar, too. :rolleyes1:

Kevin

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I bought a two-piece Roadcrafter and it was awful. Finally, after trading it for a one-piece that didn't fit that well, either, I started having alterations made. The ellipse was a biggie becausd I must have longer than average torso, too (unless it's my bigger than average waist line). The full length gusset, plus 2" off the legs both above and below the knee, and a couple of inches out of the arm.

I love mine. I've probably got a bit over 150,000 miles on the two I've owned. I will say that the Hi-Viz yellow could do a better job of staying clean. I've got a RoadGear jacket with hi-viz yellow that has not even come close to getting as dirty as the 'Stitch.

I don't wear it as much as the 'Stitch, but do like it in the winter. With the zip-in liners it's got and my Warm & Safe heated jacket underneath, I've stayed comfortable down to about 10F. With the 'Stitch anything below 35F in the day time gets cool, and anything under about 40F at night makes me wish I had the RoadGear outfit on.

But other than on those cold nights, the 'Stitch works for me.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I got my FedEx tracking number for my new Teiz suit, which was made to order for my unusual body type after I realized a Roadcrafter would only fit parts of me, and would be too large or too small everywhere else. I plan to write an extensive review on my upcoming trip. Teiz sent several of their standard sizes to try, and when it was clear I wasn't happy with them, cut a pattern to my measurements for $150. We will soon see how that worked out.

Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Eldon Cannon (EX WINGER on the Forum) is also waiting for a Teiz suit. I'll be eager to see what you both think.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've always wanted to visit their factory but never seem to have time when I'm within striking distance. Too bad you didn't have the alterations done that they recommended when you were being fitted, maybe you'd be more comfortable today? I hate hind-sight!

Anyway, FWIW I didn't see where anyone mentioned tumble-drying the new suit for an hour or so on the lowest heat setting; this helps speed up the break-in process. If you do it be sure to remove the armor first. This was recommended by the factory when my suit was new and it really helped.

Another thing I did with my first one-piece was to order the softer armor for the knees; this eliminated the discomfort I felt after a couple of hundred miles.

The last thing I did was to have a 2" gusset installed on the sides to accomodate my fat gut; that made the difference between a relaxed fit and looking like the Oscar Meyer weiner.

From your comments it appears you'll need to spend some $$ to make your 'stich fit the way you need but don't you think it will be worth it? Their gear is really tough and will last years if taken care of and I think that makes it worth doing.

My 2cts, best of luck with this one.

LL75 :smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
After having a 50mph "get-off" while wearing my 'Stitch and receiving no injury other than a bruise on my butt, some bruised ribs, and a concussion (thank you, Nolan!), I won't ride without something like it. It received hardly any damage until the EMT cut the zipper while I was asking him to zip it toward my neck instead of my ankle.

I've got the softer armor and use it in the winter. The gussets made a huge difference for me.

I'll be curious to see the Tiez suit that a couple of our members are waiting for. They take customizing for fit to a whole differenct level.

Nicole

I too want to know what those who bought the Teiz Lombard suits think

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
LL75, the only alteration they recommended at the time of purchase was lengthening the legs an inch or so. I declined because I wanted to take the suit home and start using it right away. I can live with the legs as they are, that is the least of my worries. I am concerned that I will spend another couple hundred bucks and it still won't fit. But I will go ahead with it and find out.

I'm a little disappointed that person fitting me didn't take my concerns seriously about how it fit through the shoulders. And I'm disappointed in myself for not realizing how bad a fit it was. It seems so obvious now. But I'm responsible for it, so now I have to make the best of it. Hopefully I'll end up like Phil and love it. If not, oh well, I'll move on to something else.

Kevin

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I sure hope you're happy with the altared 'Stitch, kj. It's a bunch of money to spend to not find satisfaction.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
Thanks Phil! It's only money, right? :)

I'm optimistic. Even though I got pretty frustrated with it, now that I don't have it I feel kind of exposed and unprotected. So I'll find a way to make it work. It's all good.

Kevin

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Yeah, it's only money, but it's a lot of it! Hope it works!

Eldon Cannon (EX WINGER on the Forum) got a Kief or Teif or Keif or something suit today. It is the one that is massively customized and looks like it might be good competition for the 'Stitch. He was happy with it initially and is on a multi-hundred mile ride this weekend with a bunch of his old Gold Wing buds. We'll hear a report early next week.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Yeah, it's only money, but it's a lot of it! Hope it works!

Eldon Cannon (EX WINGER on the Forum) got a Kief or Teif or Keif or something suit today. It is the one that is massively customized and looks like it might be good competition for the 'Stitch. He was happy with it initially and is on a multi-hundred mile ride this weekend with a bunch of his old Gold Wing buds. We'll hear a report early next week.
Are you refering to Teiz ?

http://store.teizms.com/

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's it! I was too lazy to go back and look. Shame on me! :-(

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
Aerostich called me on Saturday to talk about the alterations. It is going to cost me about $300 to get all of them done. Should have it back within 4 weeks.

He also said I should have gotten a "long". Yep, I know that now. :doh1:

Kevin

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Kevin, you've probably said, but when you ordered did you talk to Rider Wearhouse's rep about how it might fit.

I don't think I did very much until the two-piece came and I couldn't wear it zipped together. Then when I called back, that woman asked a lot more questions and offered way more suggestions. When that suit came it fit much better. The one I've got now came after talking about the fit for a long time. When I ordered the one I've got now, we talked a long time, too. I asked both sales people to prepare a sales conversation as if I knew absolutely nothing about the Roadcrafter.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
Phil, I went to Rider Wearhouse in person and had them fit me there. It wasn't comfortable when I tried it on, but I figured it was due to it being new and it would break in and be fine. It took me a while to figure out that was not going to happen.

When they started the fitting process on me, they started with a 44L. The fitter was concerned that it was too tight around the middle. So he suggested I try on a 46R instead. Why he didn't recommend a 46L, I don't know, but if he had I would probably be a lot happier with it now. And I could have avoided at least 2 of the alterations I'm getting done now.

I don't want to give the impression I'm blaming Aerostich entirely. I will continue to support this American and Minnesota company. I just should have figured out more quickly that the suit did not fit correctly. I should have said, let's try the 46L instead of the 46R. However, I do hold the fitter responsible for not taking my concerns about the tightness in the shoulders seriously. Before I sent the suit back to Aerostich for alterations, I sent some pictures of me wearing the suit. The tightness in the shoulders is obvious. I guess the reason I started the thread is to let others know not to blindly trust the fitter, and if you are having issues with fit, don't wait a year for it to break in like I did. I did have a fairly lengthy conversation on Saturday with one of their reps over the phone while he reviewed my pictures and we discussed the alteration options.

And they are going to put snaps on the collar so it stays down in a crosswind. That will be $10 well spent.

So what has this valuable learning experience cost me? I figure between $200 - $250. I would have needed at least one of the alterations regardless, probably two. When I wear this Roadcrafter out in about, oh, 20 years I'll know EXACTLY what I need when I buy the next one. :)

Cheers,

Kevin

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Kevin, I remember when the two-piece came, I went into "The Bride's Room" at the church so I could see how cool I looked. Well, what I noticed right away was that my shoulders were being pulled down into my chest. I could hardly breathe and by the time I took the suit off after about 15 minutes, my neck was really hurting. It would have never ever never in a million years have broken in. I don't think there's any stretch at all in the Cordura.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Eldon Cannon (EX WINGER on the Forum) got a Kief or Teif or Keif or something suit today
Teiz. I got mine last week and have a bit over 2000 miles in it so far--from the heat and humidity of Louisiana (97+), the winds of West Texas (65-70 mph), and some lovely Colorado showers today. It fits just as I hoped, and I like it more with every mile. It is more than worth its price, IMHO.

Ken

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
The Teiz is an interesting suit. I like the vents, but how is it on pocket space? Need room for some of the girly stuff that I would normally carry in a purse (wallet, brush, phone, Ruger .380, etc). I'm looking to get a lighter weight summer/commute suit, but if it can't compare with my 'stich on the carrying capacity.......

Top Bottom