The Rostra is Back!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My Rostra cruise control stopped working three weeks ago after Jim Moore and I had ridden the Black Hills together. When we split at Custer so could go back to Whitney and I could get back to Newcastle, I turned it on and the light flickered when I pushed "Set" and the cruise never kicked in.

I used my Throttlemiester on the way home from Newcastle and then during the Rally and the trip up and back. It works reasonably well, but it's easy to get going way too fast downhill and needs a good bit of attention.

Tonight, my old COG buddy, Mike Reid and I were able to coordinate our schedule and get together. On my way over, I saw Jeff Smith, a member of the Forum, on his slow red 2010 heading east for home in Greeley.

Mike and I got the left fairing pocket off the bike and he started checking each wire from the CC unit. We had a good ground, but the power line only showed 8.6-8.9V, while my Kisan Chargeguard was showing 12.9V. We putzed around and encountered some bafflement because most of the time, we were getting power to the control panel, but occasionally, we weren't. We traced the power line back to my Fuzeblock and it turned out that the Fuzeblock circuit I had the CC wired to only had 8.3-8.6V. I still had an open circuit in the Fuzeblock, so we moved the CC power to that circuit. Then Mike found a loose connection up in the wires going to the CC master unit. He redid that connection and the CC worked just like it has ever since he installed it.

I'm glad to have it back because Mike, a friend of his, and I are riding to Montrose this weekend and then we're going to play in the western mountains.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Those electrical gremlins can be a real pain sometimes (most of the time)

Good to hear you got it all sorted out, happy riding and travel safe.

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - it's nice you got it resolved fairly quickly, with Mike's help. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Nothing like a friend! Mike says there's nothing like luck.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I had a very similar problem, Phil. In my case my GPS kept shutting off. Traced it back to the Fuzeblock and found the same condition... 8.* Volts instead of the desired 12V. I happened to be at Twisted Throttle that weekend and since that is where I purchased the Fuzeblock, a tech (wish I could remember his name. Good guy) helped me troubleshoot it. The problem ended up being a faulty fuse. Not one of the micro fuses in the Fuzeblock, but the main fuse between the Fuzeblock and the battery. Once he replaced that, all systems returned to normal operating parameters and have been ever since. No more GPS power cycling!

Just my 2 Cents

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had a very similar problem, Phil. In my case my GPS kept shutting off. Traced it back to the Fuzeblock and found the same condition... 8.* Volts instead of the desired 12V.
Were all the circuits on your Fuzeblock at 8V or just one like mine? It was strange finding just that one circuit at 8V when the others were matching the voltage shown on my Kisan Chargeguard.

ddprice1

Hi Phil,

Do you happen to have a writeup on your Rostra install. I miss a real cruise control.

Thanks,
Dorsey
Tucson, AZ

Bike
2010 NT RED
When I spotted you going in the opposite direction. I did the scientific, NASA based, slide rule confirmed, calculation and I was for sure going faster than you.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, yeah. You were. But I was only running at about 1/16th throttle. So, there....

Top Bottom