The sins of road construction.

Rich

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
My "pet peeves" include:
  • Paint strips/decals that get as slick as grease when wet. Washington State is full of these things and the roads in Western Washington are known for staying wet a goodly portion of the winter.
  • Traffic "sensors" that can't seem to sense motorcycles. It was bad enough with my 730 lb ST1300, but I've found that some that would sense it will not pick up the NT. A few weeks ago I had this happen one evening when a traffic signal technician was standing right there working with the signal box. Fortunately (at least for this light), he observed it, said "that shouldn't happen" and adjusted it right there and then. But it shows that they really do not know how to set these up. I've had occasion to coax a car behind me to pull up closer to trip a left-turn signal (which seems to be the most common offender). Bicyclists stand no chance. I'm told that one can legally run the light (if safe) if the intersection has failed to respond properly in 2 cycles. But this can be a long time at some intersections. And I only do this when no LEO's are in sight.
  • Grated bridges. These are rare around here, but they do exist. They are worst on knobby-ish tires, but wet steel is slippery and some tire treads keep dropping in and out of those rectangular grates. Probably not as hazardous as it feels, but unnerving just the same.
  • Sanded roads. This isn't much of a problem in Western Washington, but drove me nuts in Colorado. All winter long it piles up between lanes, in the corners and every which where. As the snows came and melted, this stuff remained to leave you with sand traps all over to work your way around. At times you have to ride as if the road weren't paved.
  • Rutted highways. This is a lack of maintenance coupled with heavy traffic, mostly on asphalt highways. In a rainstorm, the water piles up in these ruts. So you have the choice of riding on the hump, where all the mystery fluids from '78 Chevy's piles up, or down in the rut where you get to hydroplane. I recall one really cool incident on my old Gold Wing where the bike hydroplaned in one rut (tach goes toward redline, speedometer plunges toward zero), the bike wobbles a bit, climbs up over the hump (tach drops back down, speedometer climbs back up), and goes down into the other rut and starts hydroplaning again. Pulled it back up on the hump and kept it there, choosing the least of 3 evils.

Yes, but be careful of the RED LIGHT Cameras. Going to be hard to prove the instant moment in time of the picture over the 15 mins you stood waiting for a light that never changed.

I remember seeing a "DIY" video some years back for scooters / mopeds that didn't have enough "iron" to trip the stop light circuits. He suggested placing a very powerful (neodymium?) magnet or three on the bottom of the bike. It worked in the video anyway.

I remember seeing a "DIY" video some years back for scooters / mopeds that didn't have enough "iron" to trip the stop light circuits. He suggested placing a very powerful (neodymium?) magnet or three on the bottom of the bike. It worked in the video anyway.

your moped might get stuck trying to go over railroad tracks if those magnets were too strong :)

We have that problem on Rte 1 and 52. A MC simply does not activate the Left Turn green arrow. I wrote DOT and never got an answer. I now stay in the go straight lane and make a U Turn down the road when it is safe.

Most of your security cameras take a "picture" every second or have the other option of movement triggered snap shot depending on the the person making the decisions for buying the cameras. I am willing to bet the "red light" cameras work off of a similar system.

Tar snakes are a problem around here. DOT will go out and paint tar snakes in every direction on a good road. Add a little water in the spring and fall, or a lot of heat in the summer, and it is like hitting ice stripes / patches....

FWIW most local governments around here are getting rid of Red light cameras. No one can "prove" they enhance safety, or reduce accidents, and the camera companies skim way too much off the top to be profitable for the local governments. Add in a few lawsuits for bogus tickets and out they go...

FWIW most local governments around here are getting rid of Red light cameras. No one can "prove" they enhance safety, or reduce accidents, and the camera companies skim way too much off the top to be profitable for the local governments. Add in a few lawsuits for bogus tickets and out they go...

Not here in Aurora Colorado, They just added 13 more intersections this past year. I am going to start timing the yellow lights and see if they got shorter.

My latest pet peave is the over-posting of signs for road construction, usually with no construction taking place. It may just be a Washington State thing, but it has gotten out of control. Last September I rode to Colorado and there was a stretch of WA highway that had at least 7 signs warning of upcoming construction with the usual "Motorcycles use EXTREME caution" (like I don't anyway), "See your tax dollors at work Yea Washington", "Fines double in construction areas", "give 'em a brake", the trailered electric speed display sign, yellow caution signs with stick figure contruction man, "pavement ends in 2 miles", 'pavement ends in 1 mile", etc ,,,,yawn, yawn. I get it, I'm going 30 and holding up 15 cars, end the pavement. Then the pavement ended for ~100 yards with no active construction. And on the return trip 7 days later the same signs are up and flashing in all there glory, except the construction is completed. It seems that the construction signs go up a month before construction starts (if it starts) and stay up way past completion. Hard to to trust the signs.

It must be a Washington State spending program to produce so many signs. In Wyoming (no bs) there was 1 sign with 2 words...."PAVEMENT ENDS" and in 50 yards, guess what? Gravel, as promised, for the next 20 miles. Wyoming signs are serious. No special motorcyclist warning, no electricity needed, no countdown till asphaust-ectomy, no self promottion for how good they are as road caretakers. Good for Wyoming. Rant complete.

In the current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, Fred Rau's column is about this issue. He says that some states have deliberately decided to use "Construction Zone" signs with their "Fines Double" message as revenue enhancers and don't have them tied to construction zones at all. Google something like speedtrap.com and see if you can find the information he was using.

He says that some states have deliberately decided to use "Construction Zone" signs with their "Fines Double" message as revenue enhancers and don't have them tied to construction zones at all.

That is very common in Georgia and has been going on for awhile. Tifton, GA had miles of "construction" going on I-75 for years around their little hick burg and made a ton of money running speed traps. Not once did I see anyone working on I-75. They played it sneaky as well, they used a "Your Speed Is" to trip a radar detector. Once you saw it was just a speed sign most people speed back up... The surprise was there were radar units waiting just past the sign. My Valentine V-1 had seven "alerts" showing on one trip through... Now just a couple of miles from me the same game is being played on about 6-7 miles of I-575 by the local cities.

FWIW most local governments around here are getting rid of Red light cameras. No one can "prove" they enhance safety, or reduce accidents, and the camera companies skim way too much off the top to be profitable for the local governments. Add in a few lawsuits for bogus tickets and out they go...[/QUOTE]

Not around here in Baton Rouge, La. The local government is actually installing MORE of them!
The contractor installs at no cost to the city-parish.
Supposedly brought in more than $1million to the city last year.
If I remember correctly the contractor got 30% of that. I would imagine the payback on the contractor install is pretty short.

Messed up the quote part above, sorry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom