The white stuff...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
We got our first blast of snow today and although the ground is still too warm for any of it to stay, I'd guess that we received about 2" of snow. The days being able to ride my motorcycle comfortably almost any day of the week will start diminishing rapidly. I do have an elec jacket and all the essential bits of winter gear but it's not quite as much fun when you have to get bundled-up similar to Nanook of the North to take a ride! :-(

Last edited:
Yup, Mike Jr in CLE sent me a pic of his white stuff today. For the next several months motorcycling will become a "deliberate" event involving the appropriate cold weather duds. No more spontaneous hopping on the scoot for a short putt 'til spring. Usually though here in MO we have a day or two in each of the winter months when the mercury leaps to the fifties and sixties and a short period of riding bliss avails itself.

Mike

Last ride on the NT last week was of the "Nanook of the North" variety. It's been put away for the winter. Any other nice days that happen to arrive, I'll do other stuff outside, maybe I can get a few more RC flights in before its too cold for that too.

We got about 70. It doesn't look like we'll get any snow for at least the next two weeks. This will likely be the latest 1st snow of the season the Front Range and Eastern Plains have ever had.

Last week I winterized the motorcycle and suspended insurance. within an hour it was snowing. I’m done till April.

Then I mounted my studded winter tires on my Fat Bike. Rode it to church yesterday. It certainly isn’t fast and rides sort of like a tractor but it keeps me riding and UPRIGHT.

We hit 92 today......
At or pretty damn close in the San Fernando Valley yesterday as well...

Weather-Forecast_o_32127.jpg

It was a brisk 32℉ on Sunday morning. Frosty enough to try out the Remote Start / Automatic Climate Control on my wife's new vehicle. It's nice to walk out to a pre-warmed vehicle with the heated seats and steering wheel already toasty and the windshield, mirrors and rear windows cleared. :)

It was a brisk 32℉ on Sunday morning. Frosty enough to try out the Remote Start / Automatic Climate Control on my wife's new vehicle. It's nice to walk out to a pre-warmed vehicle with the heated seats and steering wheel already toasty and the windshield, mirrors and rear windows cleared. :)

So many of the Remote Start/ACC vehicles are being stolen in Denver that it's illegal to have them running without being occupied.

Last winter season, even in Dec, Jan & Feb, I always found two or three days each month to take a ride. It greatly helped me retain my sanity. :thumb: For that reason, I haven't "winterized" my bike in eons. I want them ready to go if a nice days arises. :)

One of my neighbors allows her cars to idle way too long in the driveway during the winter. It's not in any threat of being stolen but it seems senseless to allow a car to run on fast idle for 10-15 min just to have a warm seat and it certainly hurts the fuel economy.

So many of the Remote Start/ACC vehicles are being stolen in Denver that it's illegal to have them running without being occupied.

Good luck stealing this one. :) First you'd have to unlock it with a fob...or break in which would trip the security system. Next, if you don't have a key fob present the car shuts down when you try to put it in gear. Sounds like someone is installing aftermarket cheap "stuff"...🤔

My motorcycle group went out on Saturday for our regular monthly ride, in spite of 50F temps, and we actually had the best turnout of the year! But when we went over the mountains to the west, it went below 40 and folks were very cold, especially on the appropriately named "naked" bikes. We had lunch, and thankfully there was a thrift store next door where guys went to get fleece sweaters for $2 apiece, and were fine for the rest of the ride. I have insulated bib overalls which make riding fine, but my hands get cold even in my Klim cold weather gloves. Someone mentioned silk gloves that you can put on under the cold weather gloves. Any recommendations?

I don't wear silk glove liners so no advise on that option. I do wear Fox Creek lined deerskin gloves that have kept my hands very warm even on "naked" bikes. They are pricey but very comfortable and warm... See Here

My motorcycle group went out on Saturday for our regular monthly ride, in spite of 50F temps, and we actually had the best turnout of the year! But when we went over the mountains to the west, it went below 40 and folks were very cold, especially on the appropriately named "naked" bikes. We had lunch, and thankfully there was a thrift store next door where guys went to get fleece sweaters for $2 apiece, and were fine for the rest of the ride. I have insulated bib overalls which make riding fine, but my hands get cold even in my Klim cold weather gloves. Someone mentioned silk gloves that you can put on under the cold weather gloves. Any recommendations?
I tried the silk liners before I got my heated gloves. I don't think they made that much of a difference... YMMV.

Mike

Good luck stealing this one. :) First you'd have to unlock it with a fob...or break in which would trip the security system. Next, if you don't have a key fob present the car shuts down when you try to put it in gear. Sounds like someone is installing aftermarket cheap "stuff"...🤔

Might be. I guess it might also be that people are starting their trucks with their keys and then going back in while they warm up. But if you leave a vehicle running in Denver without an occupant, you can get a ticket.

Might be. I guess it might also be that people are starting their trucks with their keys and then going back in while they warm up. But if you leave a vehicle running in Denver without an occupant, you can get a ticket.
Keys? I don't need no stinking key... ;) Although there is one inside the fob in case the fob battery dies.

If someone leaves their keys in a running vehicle that is another story. :rolleyes: That vehicle would be gone in less than a minute in Atlanta.:oops:

MikeSim - I agree about the silk glove liners not making much of a difference. The liners do not keep the glove's exterior from getting too close to the skin on your hand which makes it colder. They might work for skiing or hiking but not for riding!

I am totally happy with the more open version of Hippo Hands (made for ATVs) that I fit to my NT during the colder months. I rode today and when I took off for the meeting place, it was around 38-40 F. Once everyone showed up we took off and there were stretches where we rode at 60-65 mph and they were still fine.

For gloves I was wearing my favorite, unlined deer skin gloves and was perfectly comfy. :)

Back
Top Bottom