The Wild West 1000

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just got back to the IBA International Meeting after riding the "Wild West 1000." The route was going to be: The Marriot Tech Center (where the meeting's being held) to the nearest has station (a Conoco 7/10 - mile away on the other side of I-25) to Pueblo; Montrose; Farmington; Moab; and back to the Conoco.

But yesterday somebody realized that the Colorado Pro-Bicycle Race was going to be on US-50 and we'd get caught in all that mess, so Lord Kneebone sent out an email, changing the route to: Denver, Alamosa, Farmington, Green River, UT, and Denver.

I didn't check email last night for the only time in recorded history and was on my way out the door when a guy coming in after riding a BunBurmer Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) to get here asked me where I'd come from. I told him I was leaving on the WW1K and he said, "I guess you know about the change."

I didn't, so I had to come back up here and fire up my computer to get the message.

On top of that, I'd had about one hour sleep last night. I decided that if I started riding stupid, I'd pull the plug on the ride. But I didn't have any trouble...until I got off the bike here at the hotel. I didn't really have any trouble, but I'm sure ready for bed!

Nighty-night!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Good to hear you made it safely Phil

Get some well earned sleep, I can tell you need it as your post has an abnormal amount of spelling mistakes.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

Congratulations on the safe ride! Yu will get a real pretty cert to hang on your wall for your efforts! I am sure glad you found out about the change of route~~ dealing with those crazy's:rofl1: on Bycycles would not have been a good thing!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Too bad you didn't get to ride 50 into Montrose and then on to Farmington
Two great rides with totally different personalities

It just occurred to me that there are some similarities between 50 from Montrose and Gunnison and the ride down to Badwater in Death Valley
The CO ride is smoother and faster, but they are very similar

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Too bad you didn't get to ride 50 into Montrose and then on to Farmington
Two great rides with totally different personalities
Clay, that was the only thing I missed about the route change. I've ridden both before but it's been a while since I've been on the Million-Dollar Highway. Riding through Farmington was kind of a bummer -- I didn't realize how big a city it was. And 160 through the San Luis Valley was slow because of people on their way to the farms, etc. Long straights with no room to pass. I just slowed down and relaxed.

When I got to the gas station for my finishing receipt, my GPS read 1000.1 mile. My odometer said I'd ridden 1004 miles (plus I'd ridden .7 miles from the Marriot to the gas station). On the .7 mile back here I didn't put my ear plugs in and kept hearing a sound like the beeper on construction equipment for when it backs up. When I got to the parking lot, I realized it was me! I think it's my fuel pump.

I called my dealer on the north side of Denver and reminded them that I plan on leaving next Tuesday for the Three-Flags Classic and they told me to ride the bike up this afternoon and they'd "take a listen" and that if they didn't have the fuel pump in stock, they'd expedite it and get it fixed Monday. Now all I have to worry about is riding it to Sun Honda, back to the Marriot, back to Greeley, and back to Sun Honda. :)

There's one other NT here at the IBA International Meet -- Bob Higdon rode his. I've got a 50K sticker to present to him.

If I get to do the 3-Flags, I'll end up within striking distance of 100K by the end of the year.

Ride Report Trivia:

LaVeta Pass on 160 is great with good pavement and long fast sweepers. Wolf Creek Pass is a little twistier but also has good pavement. The ride from Shiprock to Cortez is bleakly spectacular, and has a few cowboys in pickups who don't like to be passed but then slow down after they pass you back.

More later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just as I left Moab, a (mostly) dry front blew through. Lots of wind, probably 45-50mph from the NW as I was going N. Just before I got to I-70 the road was wet, but I wasn't in any rain. When I left Green River heading back east, there was a beautiful rainbow over the LaSal range. I tried to take a picture but I had gotten something on my lens.

I stopped for gas in Glenwood Springs and as I was leaving it started raining. Just east of Glenwood Springs, you enter Glenwood Canyon, which is arguably the most beautiful stretch of interstate in the US. The highway was designed and built to complement the beauty of the Canyon and it's magnificent in the daytime. But at night, in the rain, with me all hot and the outside air all cool, my glasses kept fogging up. If I opened my visor, they got wet. I couldn't see worth a flip. The speed limit in the Canyon is 45 and I just tucked in behind a truck and stayed back far enough not to get covered in his spray.

Once through the Canyon, the rain stopped and I was able to run 70-75 with no difficulty. About 10-15 miles west of Denver the highway was wet. I was never in any more rain, but the highways, and here in Denver, the streets, were wet and dirty. I was wishing I had a windshield wiper.

I'll post some pictures in a few days.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I promised pictures. Here are some:

1) I-25 south of Pueblo; 2) The Spanish Peaks south of US-160; 3) between Shiprock, NM and Cortez, CO; 4) an arch between Blanding, NM, and Moab, CO; 5) a rock between Blanding and Moab with the Manti La Sal Mountains in the background.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOOK OUT Phil if you get a job doing the trip reports etc it woll soon take a the fun out of travelling!

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rocky, I might say something like that, if I was that creative and smart. :)

Top Bottom