There's got to be an easy way...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
....To mount a license plate. I have realized that it's been 10 1/2 years since I've done it. Any tips?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I made a simple bracket that spans both bolts. The bolts are captured on the bracket by nuts so I don't have to try and reach behind and under ($%#@!) with a wrench when removing or installing the license plate. There are also nuts on the outside so the bracket stays in place after the plate is removed. You could do the same without the bracket so only the bolts are captured. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I use well nuts to secure the plates to Traveller. The well nut is a rubber encapsulated nut that expands when tightened. You take the mounting screw and insert it through the license plate and then loosely thread the well nut on the screw. Then insert the well nuts into the mounting slots on the rear fender and tighten the screws. As the screws tighten, the well nut expands as it is drawn closer to the rear of the fender thus securing the plate to the bike. The well nuts that I use are Dorman part number 700-922 and come in boxes of ten. Most good hardware stores have 'em too. Just make sure that the rubber portion fits somewhat snugly in the fender slot so that they don't rotate when you snug 'em down. A frustration saver of the first magnitude.... especially for old fingers!

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I remember when i got my plates I asked the guys at my local BMW/Triumph/Ducati shop to mount it. It ended up being a two man job

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I use well nuts to secure the plates to Traveller. The well nut is a rubber encapsulated nut that expands when tightened. You take the mounting screw and insert it through the license plate and then loosely thread the well nut on the screw. Then insert the well nuts into the mounting slots on the rear fender and tighten the screws. As the screws tighten, the well nut expands as it is drawn closer to the rear of the fender thus securing the plate to the bike. The well nuts that I use are Dorman part number 700-922 and come in boxes of ten. Most good hardware stores have 'em too. Just make sure that the rubber portion fits somewhat snugly in the fender slot so that they don't rotate when you snug 'em down. A frustration saver of the first magnitude.... especially for old fingers!

Mike
Thank you, Sir!!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Mikes well nut sounds like a good fix. Possibly hollow wall (sheetrock) anchors (metal, expanding type) would work well. They are available for different thickness materials. Once installed the threaded portion would stay in place for next time.
When I sold my NT I was reminded of the plate issue. It took more time than it should have to remove the old plate because of the way I had originally mounted it with a frame, extra LED brake lights, and pop rivets.

Brad

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
After going to three hardware stores and an auto parts store, I could find exactly 1 well-nut of the right size. I ended up buying license plate screws with a nylon backing nut and finding Elzilla's (anybody else remember her?) suggestion of using tape to hold one of those nuts in a box-end wrench. I think I can manage it that way. If the damn plate ever comes. It won't be here today in time for me to make it to get VIN verification at the air-quality inspection station and then make it to the DMV. Monday's a holiday so all those places will be closed and Tuesday the weather is forecast to be 39-40F with a 70% chance of rain and snow.

So maybe next Wednesday or Thursday I can finally get Horse on the road.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The salesman's 10 year old son had small enough hands to reach between the inner and outer rear fenders on my NT. That was great for the temporary plate but installing the real plate later was a PITA. :rolleyes:

Bike
2010 NT700V
I use button head allen-drive cap screws, fender washers and nylocks. All stainless.

I somehow got them started and secured with quite a bit of effort. I've done so many rear tire changes now, I'll just pull the rear fender if I need to mess with the plate again.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
After going to three hardware stores and an auto parts store, I could find exactly 1 well-nut of the right size. I ended up buying license plate screws with a nylon backing nut and finding Elzilla's (anybody else remember her?) suggestion of using tape to hold one of those nuts in a box-end wrench. I think I can manage it that way. If the damn plate ever comes. It won't be here today in time for me to make it to get VIN verification at the air-quality inspection station and then make it to the DMV. Monday's a holiday so all those places will be closed and Tuesday the weather is forecast to be 39-40F with a 70% chance of rain and snow.

So maybe next Wednesday or Thursday I can finally get Horse on the road.
You can also use a teeny dab of Super Glue to hold the nut in place in the box end wrench. If your box end wrench is offset like most are, be sure to install the nut in the wrench with respect to the proper offset. Also, one time I took a teeny dab of Super Glue and glued the nylock nut to the tip of my finger to hold it in place until I could get the nut started. One final suggestion is to have several extra nuts on hand in the event they slip off and drop into the nether regions of the tupperware never to be seen again. License plates is almost as much fun as headlamp bulbs!

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll just pull the rear fender if I need to mess with the plate again.
Well, that's what I ended up doing. If I could have found one more well-nut here in Greeley (we're a little town of only 150,000 people), I would have gone that route. The tape and super glue deal never let me get one of the bolts started, so I ended up pulling the fender. That's another one of those things that will go easier the next time!

Ahh.....wait.....there won't be a next time! I'll never put another license plate on Horse! And there probably won't be a bike after Horse; although I said the same thing about Dudley.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
So, your plate must have come today afterall. Great!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The plate, a correct title, and finance document got delivered at 1:30. But, I had requested a delivery at my front door. It wasn't delivered to my front door but to my mail box. I got a notice at 4:30 that it had been delivered to my mail box. I got another notice at about 6:30 that it had been delivered to my front door at 1:30. I tried to give the USPS feedback, but one box in their feed back form required me to choose an option (I don't know what options I was to choose between because I couldn't enter anything in that box). And unless I chose an option, I couldn't submit the feedback form. Oh, well...

Now I've got the plate on the bike, but since it's going to be raining and cold on Tuesday, I can't get a VIN confirmation form until Wednesday. Then there's likely to be a crowd at the DMV, so I'm guessing it'll be Thursday at the earliest before I can get the bike registered to me.

I'm guessing I might be able to ride it now without being caught, but I probably won't. I've got insurance. I've got a tag. I've even got an Toll Pass transponder. But I don't have valid registration. Oh, well....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In OH, it's impossible to have a new plate without registration/annual tag so they do things differently in CO. Perhaps the rarified air causes different brain waves? :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well, that's what I ended up doing. If I could have found one more well-nut here in Greeley (we're a little town of only 150,000 people), I would have gone that route. The tape and super glue deal never let me get one of the bolts started, so I ended up pulling the fender.
Oh yeah, an important step I forget to tell you...... ya' gotta hold yer tongue just right. Sorry my tips didn't work for you, the license plate is truly maddening. The first time I did it when I bought Traveller I had to utilize almost all of my Marine vocabulary to get the job done....

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The plate, a correct title, and finance document got delivered at 1:30. But, I had requested a delivery at my front door. It wasn't delivered to my front door but to my mail box. I got a notice at 4:30 that it had been delivered to my mail box. I got another notice at about 6:30 that it had been delivered to my front door at 1:30. I tried to give the USPS feedback, but one box in their feed back form required me to choose an option (I don't know what options I was to choose between because I couldn't enter anything in that box). And unless I chose an option, I couldn't submit the feedback form. Oh, well...

Now I've got the plate on the bike, but since it's going to be raining and cold on Tuesday, I can't get a VIN confirmation form until Wednesday. Then there's likely to be a crowd at the DMV, so I'm guessing it'll be Thursday at the earliest before I can get the bike registered to me.

I'm guessing I might be able to ride it now without being caught, but I probably won't. I've got insurance. I've got a tag. I've even got an Toll Pass transponder. But I don't have valid registration. Oh, well....
Phil, Go to your local motorcycle dealer today. They should have the vin verification form and can do the vin verification for you. I use Aurora Honda here in my part of the woods.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Reminds me of changing tail light and stop light bulbs in Oldsmobiles circa the 1970's. You had to REMOVE THE REAR BUMPER to get to the plastic bulb cover.
I knew a couple of people who just broke out the lens, replaced the bulb and put red tape over it.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
In OH, it's impossible to have a new plate without registration/annual tag so they do things differently in CO. Perhaps the rarified air causes different brain waves? :)
DirtFlier, I don't have a new plate. Empire Cycle mailed me old plate from Dudley. I had meant to get it off the old bike but forgot to do that. Having that plate will mean that I'll get credit for the 9 months still remaining on the registration for Dudley. My big expense in registration will be the sales tax and a Colorado title.

Top Bottom