There's got to be an easy way...

Ya'll realize that you can drive screws into the plastic, right? It's like 3/8" thick and hard. Working for me just fine and I had to remove that plate at least 3 times in the last 10 months. No need to engineer a space pen, NASA. Use a goddamn pencil.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, Likeafox, nobody ever accused me of being smart. Crazy, yes, but not like a fox. :cool:

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I used a hole drill and opened a hole at the innermost edge of the two license plate elongated slots. I then took a ~1/2 inch long pan head slotted screw (see pic), and threaded on a washer and thin nut. I then slipped the round head of each screw through the hole I just drilled in each slot and moved it outward to the spot it needed to be when holding the license plate (around the center of each slot). Then while holding the end of the screw with a pair of vise grips, I tightened the nut against the washer. Then I placed the license plate on the remaining length of the screw, and held it down with two locking nuts screwed onto the now stationary screw. The plate sits about 1/8 inch off the rear fender due to the width of the first washer/nut, but I don't really notice. It seems pretty secure and tight.

Attachments

I used a hole drill and opened a hole at the innermost edge of the two license plate elongated slots. I then took a ~1/2 inch long pan head slotted screw (see pic), and threaded on a washer and thin nut. I then slipped the round head of each screw through the hole I just drilled in each slot and moved it outward to the spot it needed to be when holding the license plate (around the center of each slot). Then while holding the end of the screw with a pair of vise grips, I tightened the nut against the washer. Then I placed the license plate on the remaining length of the screw, and held it down with two locking nuts screwed onto the now stationary screw. The plate sits about 1/8 inch off the rear fender due to the width of the first washer/nut, but I don't really notice. It seems pretty secure and tight.
Now that's actual edgenuity!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There sure are a lot of people who are smarter than I am. Not that that's any surprise to me. 🤪

Top Bottom