"This is the place"

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Legend has it that those were the words Brigham Young uttered when he caught his first glimpse of the Salt Lake Valley. I can certify that while it may not be the only place, it is indeed a very beautiful place.

Back in May, while I was doing my interim pastor gig in Newcastle, WY, I got an email from a woman named Rachel. She told me that when she had dreamed of her wedding, I had always been the pastor who officiated. She was getting married in September, she said, and wondered if it would be possible for me to do her wedding. I wasn't entirely sure who she was. The only person with that name had been a little-bitty girl when I left Ogden in 1991. So I asked her to refresh my memory of who she was and she emailed back that I might remember her as the cute little five-year-old blonde who snatched a little boy off my lap at the beginning of the children's sermon one Sunday morning. My lap was her place to sit. My memory had been correct.

So yesterday morning, I left home (I was out of the house by 8AM again, Jim!), stopped at McDonalds for my Egg McMuffin and coffee and was on the road north before 9:00. I rode through Fort Collins and got on US-287 toward Laramie. It was a beautiful morning, but slightly on the cool side. I came close to stopping to put on my electric jacket but decided I could make it till my gas stop in Laramie.

I made it to Laramie, filled up with gas, took a brief biological break, refilled my coffee cup and rolled out onto I-80. If you've ridden across I-80 in Wyoming, you know that the state wasted money putting up signs that say "Strong Winds Possible." They wasted money because strong winds are inevitable! Except yesterday, they were missing! I would guess that the wind speed didn't get above 10 mph all the way from Laramie to Wamsutter. Plus, there was remarkably little traffic. Usually, 80 has long lines of tractor-trailers creeping up the hills with slightly faster trucks trying their darndest to get around the slightly slower trucks. There were still more trucks than cars for most of the way yesterday, but there were long stretches of empty interstate.

I gassed up again in Rock Springs and headed on towards Utah. The winds had picked up to a relatively-gentle 20-25mph around Wamsutter, but dropped back down to 10-15 by Little America, so for the whole 475-mile trip, they were only strong for about 100 miles. Compared to the ride to Big Sky, MT, via Jackson, WY, and Driggs, ID, that I'd made in August, it was a dead-calm day. On that trip, the winds along 80 had been 40-50mph and had dropped to maybe 35mph by the time I got to Pinedale, WY.

I talked to a guy at the gas station in Laramie and mentioned that it seemed amazingly calm for Wyoming. He agreed and told me that when he'd moved to Wyoming 45 years before, he'd bought a little spiral notebook a couple of years later with the intention of recording the dates when the wind didn't blow. He told me he'd thrown the notebook away about 10 years ago because it was still blank.

As I passed Evanston, WY, a couple of miles from the state line, I remembered how impressed I had been the first time I drove up Echo Canyon. It was one of the most impressive things we saw as we moved from California to Casper back in 1979. Echo Canyon is still equally impressive with huge red-rock cliffs lining the road. After I got to the intersection with I-84, which heads toward Ogden and then on to Oregon, I also remember the way we felt when we drove to Ogden on our move there in 1987 -- the cliffs in the canyon just west of Henefer, the valley around Morgan, and the awesome peaks of the Wasatch Range before you go into Weber Canyon and down into the valley between Ogden and Layton. Hill AFB, sits on the plateau south of the Weber River and F-16s provide the soundtrack for living anywhere with 10-15 miles north or south of the base. I've missed these "Sounds of Freedom" and I'm busy getting caught up on them this afternoon.

Last night, we had dinner with Rachel's folks and I was privileged to catch up with them and their family. Turned out that they had both had to have wedding rings cut off their hands due to injuries. They had just gotten replacements this summer and had waited until I could be there to bless these rings before they put them on. Blessing rings for a couple who have been married for 43 years was an honor.

Tonight we have a rehearsal dinner and rehearsal, tomorrow I'm going to try to find my brother's widow who lives in Salt Lake but has been estranged since his death, and then Saturday, it's the wedding.

Sunday morning I'm going to church where I was pastor for four years back in the 80s and then ride for home. I'm hoping it'll be clear in southern Wyoming/northern Colorado on Sunday evening. There's a total eclipse of the "Blood" moon that starts a little after 7PM and is total for about an hour around 9:00.

I'll miss seeing part of the Broncos/Lions game, but it's being recorded and you don't get to see too many total eclipses.

My picture taking didn't go too well yesterday but I'll put these two up anyway. The first one is Elk Mountain. It's south of I-80 and west of the Medicine Bow Range. During the late '30s, several of the early trans-continental airline flights came to sudden ends on the sides of Elk Mountain. IIRC, there were two DC-2s and a DC-3 that crashed there in the days before radio navigation reached a level of maturity.

The second one is the entry to the canyon just west of Henefer, UT, about 45 miles from Ogden.

Attachments

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
So yesterday morning, I left home (I was out of the house by 8AM again, Jim!), stopped at McDonalds for my Egg McMuffin and coffee and was on the road north before 9:00.
Ya, that's what Phil says, but we all know that he doesn't know how to tell time. And if he was out of McDonalds in less than an hour the WiFi was down.

Bike
2011 NT
Phil, have you been over snowy basin pass where up on top they have a monument where a plane crashed in 55(I think)? Was up there a few years ago. Nice ride up across there.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil, have you been over snowy basin pass where up on top they have a monument where a plane crashed in 55(I think)? Was up there a few years ago. Nice ride up across there.
I have ridden up there several times on a bicycle when I lived in Ogden. I knew about the crash but don't remember the monument. I left Ogden in '91 and it may be that the monument was put up after I left.

I do know that there were quite a few crashes all along the Wasatch Front when airliners would start their letdowns before they were past the Front. The vertical rise of the Wasatch Range on its western face is fairly extreme. One of my favorite mountain bike rides when I lived here was from Pineview Reservoir on the east side of the Wasatch Front in Ogden Valley. It started at 5,000' and then over the next 8 or 9 miles climbed to about 8,500 before turning back west to reach a peak that was above 9,000'. Where it turned back to the SW, if you left the main trail rode east a few hundred yards, you were on a precipice that let you look down into the chimneys of homes in North Ogden. They were at about 5,000' and you were probably 1/4 mile or less east of them but 3,000' above them.

A friend took me flying in a 172 once and we flew up over Snowy Basin and then (I was flying) turned west and flew over the top of Ogden Peak (right at 10,000') I remember dropping full 40-degrees of flap and slipping pretty vigorously to get down to pattern altitude for Ogden's airport with out getting into Hill AFB's extended traffic pattern.

North of Brigham City and east of Tremonton, there's a little range of mountains that I remember reading about in "The Roadside Guide to Utah Geology." IIRC, it has a 3,500' rise from the valley floor of Logan Valley to the ridgetop and then back down to the flats around Tremonton in less than 3 miles. My recollection is that that is the greatest ratio of rise-decline/horizontal distance of any range in North America.

Utah has some spectacular scenery. The Uintahs are almost as spectacular but it's harder to see their really impressive terrain unless you're in an airliner going from SLC to DEN.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll have you know that I didn't even use McDonald's WiFi!!! :nanana1:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ouch! That hurts! I'm going into a corner to sulk now. You guys are mean.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Uh Right! I'm betting that won't last long. And your time "in the corner" will be thinking of a way to set me up again.

By the way I must commend you for the way you set me up for your early get away in Greeley. Well done sir!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thank you! Thank you very much! :)

It was very enjoyable for me.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Today when I woke up, I was a little queasy. The food at the reception last night was a little strange. Other than that, the wedding was delightful. But I didn't get going s soon as I wanted to. I had planned on going to church at Community United Methodist, where I been the pastor 24 years ago, but decided I'd rather get home. That was a good decision, since I had to stop a couple of times more than I would have just for gas(-oline, that is).

It was a beautiful day. Way more traffic than there had been on Wednesday and the east-bound side of I-80 hasn't been reworked as much as the west-bound side. It was a little more windy, too, but that was just fine because it gave me a tailwind. The ride was really smooth because Wyoming has instituted a new paving protocol. They're paving I-80 with rabbit fur. At least, I guess they're doing -- there was dead jackrabbit every four or five feet. I've never seen so many dead rabbits.

I also so lots of pronghorn antelope, probably several hundred of them close to the road. These didn't look as fat as the ones I saw north of Casper when I was coming back from Big Sky, but they looked very healthy. As I was approaching Laramie, the sun was getting low and it dipped behind the mountains north of Rocky Mountain National Park. Just as I was getting close to Fort Collins, I came around a curve at the end of a long ridgeline to my east and there was the Supermoon just peaking above a rocky ridgeline. It looked like it was two or three times its normal size.

As I got into Ft. Collins, the moon was being blocked by clouds, but I was still catching glimpses of it. About half way between Ft. Collins and US-34, the highway that goes east to Greeley, the clouds unblocked my view and I could see the eclipse just starting. By the time I got home, it was something like 1/2 covered. Joanne and I stood in our front yard and watched it with our neighbors from across the street.

All in all, a very nice 478-mile ride. I'm a happy man.

Top Bottom