Thoughts on 2021 Honda Gold Wing

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Out of curiosity, has anyone ridden one of the new 2021 Honda Gold Wings?

Got an itch to scratch and travel from state to state in the coming years. My NT is a joy in the region but long trips might be a bit much to ask for hours and hours on the saddle. My Uncle used to have a brown/gold Gold Wing back in the mid-to-late 80's and it left an impression. Now that I'm his age I'm finding myself considering one of these, and the new bikes have a lot more room in the trunk and some improvements. Less the couch-on-2-wheels and a little more like Sport Touring it seems. Very likely would keep my NT as well till the wheels fall off, not sure I would ever be able to break up with her.

Welcome any thoughts on the new wing, recommendations, cautions, experiences on Gold Wings prior, etc.

2021 Honda Gold Wing:
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-honda-gold-wing/

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The new 'Wings are great bikes, but don't sell your NT short. I have taken numerous high mileage trips and have always been impressed with the comfort of the NT. If I was a younger rider who still had some piss 'n vinegar left in him I would entertain the notion of a GW, but at my age the NT is just what the doctor (geriatric) ordered.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I can't fault anyone for wanting a Goldwing, the highway pulling power is more than enough reason to upgrade from a NT.

However, have you done a long trip on the NT? I'm not talking a jaunt into WV for the day, but riding across multiple time zones. The NT is a more than capable long haul rig. I've done coast to coast trips 3 times now

Last edited:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Out of curiosity, has anyone ridden one of the new 2021 Honda Gold Wings?

Got an itch to scratch and travel from state to state in the coming years. My NT is a joy in the region but long trips might be a bit much to ask for hours and hours on the saddle. My Uncle used to have a brown/gold Gold Wing back in the mid-to-late 80's and it left an impression. Now that I'm his age I'm finding myself considering one of these, and the new bikes have a lot more room in the trunk and some improvements. Less the couch-on-2-wheels and a little more like Sport Touring it seems. Very likely would keep my NT as well till the wheels fall off, not sure I would ever be able to break up with her.

Welcome any thoughts on the new wing, recommendations, cautions, experiences on Gold Wings prior, etc.

2021 Honda Gold Wing:
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-honda-gold-wing/
It has a reverse gear :rofl1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've ridden a 1st year GL1800 about 20 miles. My '99 Concours was on the trip and it the big Wing were comparable in performance. The Wing was more comfortable.

I rode my first NT 1500 miles in 24 hours, and also on a couple of 1000-mile days. On my last trip, I rode 877 miles between Greeley and Missoula across Wyoming and most of Montana. Plus my 2013 "Epic Post-Retirement Ride" -- 80 days and 21,000 miles. I was never uncomfortable on any of those trips. I'm sure a Wing would have been more comfortable. But I'm also sure I would have had more trouble handling the weight of the Wing.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had a Russell since the early 90's. Rode the first 10K or so on my NT with the stock seat and got a Russell in the fall of '10. I will never be without one again. I'm riding one of the new Russell Sports Seats now. It doesn't have Russell's suspension spring like the Day Long does and doesn't add much if anything to the stock seat height. Don't have many miles on it yet, but it feels like it will be as good as a standard Day Long.

RedBird (Ken Malone) got one for his NC750 and he's liking it, too.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My NT made it to the North Coast, the South Coast, East Coast, the West Coast, and Alaska. Don't sell the NT short. However there is no question that if you want to cruise the interstates the Gold Wing is far superior. Power and weight are your friend on the interstate but in the parking lots not so much.

A few years ago when I was returning from a 10-day motorcycle trip I stopped in Minneapolis to test ride a BMW 1200 RT and a 1200 GS. I decided to buy a BMW, but I took the list of options home with me to finalize which ones I wanted. When I got back on my NT to ride the last 200 miles home I immediately thought THIS IS A GREAT MOTORCYCLE. I didn't buy the BMW.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I've had a Russell since the early 90's. Rode the first 10K or so on my NT with the stock seat and got a Russell in the fall of '10. I will never be without one again. I'm riding one of the new Russell Sports Seats now. It doesn't have Russell's suspension spring like the Day Long does and doesn't add much if anything to the stock seat height. Don't have many miles on it yet, but it feels like it will be as good as a standard Day Long.

RedBird (Ken Malone) got one for his NC750 and he's liking it, too.
My secret weapon for 40 hours cross country transits is an Airhawk R strapped to the stock seat.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Thanks for the perspective and thoughts guys. Can't say I'll never get a Wing, someday... but I'll punt that thought down the road a bit until I can do some real multi-state touring on my NT. Taking a note from the above, perhaps this can more enjoyable for distances with a custom seat. The stock works for me for about 6-8 hours tops and then I'm beyond any forgiveness from pit stops and stretching.

So after spending several hours in research and going through the aftermarket seat forum, I opted for a custom seat. The Russell seems nice but would miss the entire season by the time it got here, and the Corbin sounds brutal from all the reviews. So took a chance on a Top Sellerie custom gel seat and added a heating option and changed the "Deauville" embrodiery to "NT700V" for giggles. The seat is a bit on the pricey side, (especially to ship to the states... sheesh). I'll report back in the aftermarket seats section when it arrives in a month or two for installation, comfort, and after some time in the new saddle.

Ultimately if it gets me more hours in the NT, then it may beat wrestling with an extra 300 lbs with a wing and that hefty car-like price tag (which alone would result in me being banished to the couch for several years. Oof!) And I do have to admit, I don't have any real complaints with the NT. I.E. if it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I now have a Russell because a forum member was selling his bike and I got a great deal, but the bulk of my miles, >100K, were done on the stock seat which I found very comfortable. It is no doubt the best factory seat I have ever had on any of my bikes.

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
My riding buddy always has a RDL on his bikes....even his KLR. I have a fair bit of seat time on his bikes....nothing comes close to a RDL for comfort.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I would probably end up putting an Airhawk on it. :p
I have a spasming pubo rectalis. I love my Airhawk R. I love it so much I bought another just in case.
The new 'Wings are great bikes, but don't sell your NT short. I have taken numerous high mileage trips and have always been impressed with the comfort of the NT. If I was a younger rider who still had some piss 'n vinegar left in him I would entertain the notion of a GW, but at my age the NT is just what the doctor (geriatric) ordered.

Mike
I would have gotten on my NT and ridden coast to coast any day of the week. Maybe I wouldnt have done it fast but I would have been comfortable. It went down the road just fine.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
A riding buddy has a GW, and my other buddies and I are constantly waiting for him to get going as he fiddles with all the electronic doo-dads that beast has on board. Apple Car-Play? I wear ear plugs. I don't need ride modes... sport touring is the one I use. It sure is a beautiful bike though. Super powerful and smooth. I feel it is the antithesis of the NT, which has analog instruments (love em!), no ride modes, electronic distractions, a real sport touring bike meant to be ridden not just sat upon. I rode the NT from Missouri to Virginia when I bought it in St. Louis last July and I never felt uncomfortable on the stock seat even after 300 miles on a given day. But I took backroads all the way, not a single interstate. I'd have to say that if I were blasting across country on interstates, I'm sure I'd be more comfortable on a GW. Big, heavy, hunkered down, doing 80 as smooth as silk. But I don't like interstates...

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I've had a Goldwing before, not the new one of course, and they are an impressive ride. The new ones really grab my attention, however after a test ride, could not picture myself being happy on it. I've done many long trips with the NT and am totally impressed with the comfort and abilities. Longest was a 25 day, 2 lane highways only ride that took us as far west as Utah and north as far as Montana, camping all the way, 6035 miles and as I neared the end of my ride, I wanted to turn around and start again. I was 62 when that took place. Anxious to go again. Absolutely no complaints and no urge to change. I just did 722 miles this past weekend, two up, and the NT was perfect !

IMG_1685.JPG

Top Bottom