Throttle Body Help

It is looking like I am going to need to replace the throttle bodies after all. Could someone do me a favour and have a look at the following sites and compare the diagrams.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17MEW601&block_02=E__2000&block_03=3667

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2010/NT700VA+AC/THROTTLE+BODY/parts.html

I've spotted the differences. Parts 22, 23 and 24 are extra parts. I need to know where these hoses connect. 23 and 24 appear to be a balance pipe of some sort between the two bodies, but where does 22 go to?? Would this go to the canister you have on the US bikes? If so could it be left free?

There is a considerable price difference as you can see. I would appreciate it a lot if one of you could either look at your bike or find out from a US mechanic for me. I'm trying to find out if I can run US throttle bodies instead of UK ones.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Yes, you are correct that 22 does go to the evap cannister. I wouldn't want to leave it open, that could be a vacuum leak.
As for other differences and changes you would need to make I couldn't say.

What is the problem that is causing you to replace the throttle bodies?

Good luck,
Brad

OP
OP
I've been trying to cure a problem for two years. The FI light flashing 8 times. , Motor assembly (part 5 in the diagrams) has been replaced twice. The first cured the problem for about 7 months.The regulator rectifier has been replaced. Plug caps were replaced. The battery was replaced. The wiring was found to be loose at the regulator plug, this nearly caused a fire. Everything I've tried always seems to cure the issue. Then a few weeks later the light comes on again. I've been hoping to avoid replacing the throttle bodies because of the ridiculous price (in the UK)

What would you do with the canister hose? Block it? Or does it need a one way valve on the end?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Here is my best guess.

First, the part 22, 23, 24 issue. Part 22 goes to the evap canister via the Purge Control Solenoid Valve. It looks like you don't have a evap canister or Purge Control Solenoid Valve..... and the US throttle body connects to evap canister so fuel tank vapors can be sucked into the engine via air intake when the engine is running.....so I'd plug (or cap) it. Otherwise it would be sucking unfiltered air into you engine.

Second, your FI light flashing 8 times issue. That looks like a throttle position (TP) sensor issue...correct? Part 5 on the throttle body is the Inlet Air Control Valve, not the Thottle Position Sensor. There have been a few post here about TP sensor troubles and how it was resolved, you may want to search for those topics or others might chime in that have had TP problems.

The prices for UK throttle bodies are ...... WOW! compared to the US. Have you considered a used throttle body in the UK? It would be great to get one cheaper from the US, but if there is an unseen physical differences that wouldn't allow it to perform correctly due to ECU or programming conflicts the price saving may not be worth it. Hopefully some of the more knowledgable Honda mechanic types here will have a better answer for you.

Good luck

OP
OP
Thanks for the responses so far. As regards getting a secondhand set of throttle bodies in the UK, I believe someone paid ?2-300 ($310-460). Also mine have been playing up since about 16,000 miles. So I wouldn't be comfortable with them. I'd just be waiting for them to go wrong.
It's looking viable to use th US part and plug the end of the extra hose.

I couldn't sell the bike to someone until it was repaired. Do unto others etc...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've never heard of anyone having to replace a 'Throttle Body' on any bike. They can be rebuilt/ cleaned etc.

Sounds to me like you got a lemon there and if it were me, I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat.

Sam:)
I "believe" he is replacing the throttle body because the throttle position sensor has failed. Sadly, it appears that on the NT, the TPS is only serviced with the throttle body which means a big expense for a relatively cheap part.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Check the P/N's on the US/UK websites and see if they are the same. If they are the same, then the part is the same regardless of where the part is purchased. If you can save some major dough by buying it in the US, then I would certainly do so.

Mike

OP
OP
Some parts have different part numbers, otherwise I wouldn't worry. From what I can see the only differences are the hoses that come from the canister. If I block this I assume it won't give the same effect as a blocked canister?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Some parts have different part numbers, otherwise I wouldn't worry. From what I can see the only differences are the hoses that come from the canister. If I block this I assume it won't give the same effect as a blocked canister?
I would be real concerned the the US & UK throttle bodies are set up to work correctly only with their respective US & UK ECU's. Possibly there differences in the TPS, .....or internal air butterly valve,....or something else. Or the only difference could be that the UK throttle body is already plugged for the unneeded evap canister and that could be the only difference. But until someone who really knows (Honda Engineer) or someone has already done a throttle body swap told me it would worked fine, I'd be hesitant to try. My past experience with Honda part numbers is that some are interchangable, & some aren't. Sometimes the correct part number parts are wrong. Sorry, no help, I know. The fuel injectors and Inlet Air motor assemblies have identical part numbers, so that is somewhat reassuring.

What would I do?
1. Join the Deauville UK Forum and ask the same questions there. Certainly a budget minded person on that side of the pond has pondered the same question....Why can't I use a cheap throttle body from the colonies? No one in the US is trying expensive UK throttle bodies just to see if they work.
2. Buy a throttle body from UK and the US with good return policies. Look them over really close before installing either. Try the US one first if they appear identical. If it works, return the UK throttle body without ever installing it. If the US throttle body doesn't work........now you are stuck with a very lightly used US throttle body that no one wants in the UK, and would have to try to resell it in the US.

Handsome Prince

My NT700 has been in the motorcycle shop since Jan 2013. Reportedly needing a throttle body.
Even though, the throttle body has been replaced there remain many issues. The dealer and Honda USA are working together without resolution to date.

Handsome Prince

Top Bottom