ThrottleMeister Install

Kathy183

I had my dealer install the ThrottleMeister. I ordered the ThrottleMeister through the dealer so I have no idea what the kit included nor have I seen the instructions. I was just looking at my extra parts and have found one extra part that looks like this. According to the OEM drawings this is a Handlebar Weight B and there is one on each side of the handlebar. Is it normal to have this part removed from the bike and only on one side for the ThrottleMeister installation?

tawilke46

Yes. You have to remove the bar weights to install the Throttlemeisters.
I installed Throttlemeisters on my NT and my old '98 Pacific Coast.

EDIT: Rick is correct, the left bar weight remains in the bar and the Throttlemeister left bar end is attached to it.
The right OEM bar weight comes out.
The trick is to get enough friction on the brass end on the Throttlemeister to hold the throttle in place, but still allow you to adjust as necessary.
It take some fidgeting but it will work if you keep at it. Took me four tries to get the thing to work correctly.
It is working fine now.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hmmm. It's been a long time since I installed my Throttlemeister, but I don't remember having one of those left over. It's what the bar-end weights attach to, but I thought that both of them stayed in the bike. Maybe not. If your Throttlemeister works and isn't falling out, it must be attached to something.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its the same with the Kaoko. You lose the right hand internal bar weight. I was concerned that I would get more vibration through the right handlebar than the left but I have not noticed a difference.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have the TM but it needs to be removed on the throttle side. That part on the NT is held in the bar by a clip but it can rotate inside the clip. To lock the throttle you need it NOT to rotate. It would be replaced by a piece that expands or somehow locks onto the inside of the handlebar to prevent rotation and allow the throttle to stay in position.

Brad

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I have a question for all you riders who use the TM product: Do you like it and do you use it? I've been considering one and would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

LL75

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Larry,

I bought the TM, tried to install it, found it to be a total PITA to install with the OEM heated grips and sold it... You results may vary greatly from mine as several folks here do have it installed....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the Throttlemeister and have had it since my bike was about two weeks old. I've got Honda's heated grips, and didn't have any trouble doing the installation once I realized that the heated grip version needed one little part that was different from the non-heated grip version. TM folks overnighted me that part.

I've used the TM ever since. The first time I went for a ride with it, I nearly lost the bar-end part. Called a friend who came to where I was with an Allen wrench, we re-tightened it and that's been it. I should have read the part of the instructions that said to use blue Loc-Tite on it, but still haven't had any trouble.

I use the TM all the time and can't imagine riding without it or something similar. I am impressed with the Kaoko and talked (via email) with the factory in South Africa enough to confirm that the version they make and sell through Twisted Throttle will work.

taldric

I have the TM as well. I have the OXFORD heated grips and it was a pain in the ***** to get installed and adjusted properly. But it works just fine and hasn't needed any adjustments in the last year. I use it every time I'm on the freeway.

Having purchased the TM over 12 months ago, however am just attempting to install the unit. Am finding on trying to remove the Right Hand Bar Weight that the "inner weight' keeps revolving with the bolt when I screw in the "hex head bolt" and so will not pull onto the 'puller tool" and allow removal.
Any suggestions as to how I can overcome this problem would be much appreciated.

tawilke46

I'd punt..........take it to a dealer.
My weight just pulled right out. Really can't tell you why your experience is different w/o being there.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Having purchased the TM over 12 months ago, however am just attempting to install the unit. Am finding on trying to remove the Right Hand Bar Weight that the "inner weight' keeps revolving with the bolt when I screw in the "hex head bolt" and so will not pull onto the 'puller tool" and allow removal.
Any suggestions as to how I can overcome this problem would be much appreciated.
You might try pulling or pulling as hard as you can on the removal collar while tightening the bolt or perhaps stuffing something in between the weight and the bar to kind of lock it into place.

Another approach: For pulling interior weights, in general, I fashion a closed "slot" loop of coat hanger, captured the bar-end bolt in it, screw the bolt into the weight, and use a hammer - yanking it outward in the coat hanger as a slide hammer.

Poing, out it comes. I've used this custom slide hammer on a number of things in lieu of some unobtainable specialty tool.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Or - remove the grip clamp screws and slide the grip inward to expose two small holes in the handlebar. Poke through the hole with an awl and try to hold the wieght from spinning. If you can't hold it try drilling a short distance into the wieght to hold it from spinning.

I had to use a home made puller to remove mine. I made a washer large enough to allow the weight to pass through but small enough to bottom out against the bar end. It was 1/4" thick to withstand bending. Then a spacer block with a bolt going through it to thread into the weight.It took lots of force because the rubber inside the bar was stuck and doubled over itself when the weight moved outward.

Good luck

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That inner weight is held in by a metal clip. Remove the grip, and push the tabs of the clip into the bar through the holes in the handlebar. While tabs are pushed in pull weght out with the screw that you threaded into it. May need 3 hands for this manuver.

Brad

Top Bottom