Time to change the rear tire

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I just posted regarding a dead battery but also noticed that the center of the rear tire was showing "significant" wear. This was due to the fact that the steel belts were quite visible along the entire circumference of the tire. The bike is used mostly for commuting into center city on relatively smooth surface roads. I've done one long ride out to Montana and back across some of lower Canada last summer. The odometer indicates just over 13K on the original rubber and I had replaced the front at 11,500 back in the Fall. Thought I'd get closer to 15K before needing to replace the rear, but my wishes have been dashed.

Question - I anyone using any kind of tire pressure indicator? I'm thinking about one of those screw-on valvestem things that stays green as long as the PSI stays above a set amount and shows red when it drops below the indicated pressure. It would be much easier than checking the pressure with a handheld tire guage, which I wouldn't do nearly as often as looking at the indicator on the valve stem.

Top Bottom