Tire age-Ride quality

Daniel

Can tire age affect the quality of ride? For instance, I bought my 2010 NT (new) in May of 2011. It sat on the dealers floor for one year before I bought it. It has the BT-020 Bridgestone tires. I have around 4,200 miles on them I think the ride is kind of harsh. The tires have tread life left in them, but they are now two years old. Would I see a better quality of ride if I were to put new Bridgestone BT-023 on the bike?

Thanks, Daniel

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Good Question, I too bought my 2010 after it sat at the dealer for almost 2 years. I am not really noticing a harse ride, but if it could get better, great! I think 2 or 3 years would not make a big ride quality loss.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Good Question, I too bought my 2010 after it sat at the dealer for almost 2 years. I am not really noticing a harse ride, but if it could get better, great! I think 2 or 3 years would not make a big ride quality loss.
I don't think age has all that much to do with it. I did notice an improvement in ride quality when I replaced the OE Bridgestones with the Dunlop Road Smart II's.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Tires over five years old should not be used, at least that is the rule in the "cage" world... Two year old motorcycle tires that have sat in a dealership could possibly flat spot...

Bike
Silver NT700V
My guess would be that if the tires are lees than 5 years old (they are) and the side walls are not cracked, they are OK to use. The cracking Sam mentioned is dry rot and means the tire compound has lost its "life". For the other part of the question, yes, the BT023s will definitely be better than the BT020s. However, there is likely not a pressing need to change the tires before they wear out unless you just want to.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
For me.......If not exposed to sun,rain,heat, riding, etc, tires from showroom will be ok. Mine was 2 yrs old showroom, didn't have any problem riding with feel, grip, even riding in rain or heavy rain. The BT20's OEM tires just wear faster, I have just put on BT023's, and so far they are wearing slower, and provide the same grip and riding feel that BT 020's did, well except the cupping on the front tire made some sound as it was leaned in a turn.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I think people are on to something here. Two years doesn't seem old at all, not sitting in a show room. Check your tire pressure. Low pressure can really affect the ride, will limit the life of your tires and is unsafe. I bought a small air compressor at Sears last summer. I check the tire pressure weekly and sure enough the bikes need a pound or two almost every week.

OP
OP

Daniel

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Your thoughts, ideas and advice are appreciated.

Daniel

Top Bottom