Tire change grief (cant get driveshaft back into u joint)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As far as I know, the only parts in the back that need lube (Moly 60) on a fairly regular basis are the drive/driven splines.

OP
OP
97af
Bike
Red NT
Moly 60 it was.... Dont know what I'm gonna replace it with after this tube which is just about gone. But thats another worm hole to dive down;)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Pulling the rear gearcase on the Connie 1000 for tire changes was normal business. The Honda is a bit different.
Since your front splines were dry you sure didn't hurt them any.

Brad

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
97af, glad you got it back together.

I'll chime in, since I've done this a couple times. The NT shifts like a dream if the u-joint splines are greased, at least that's been my experience. Something about the grease taking up the slack, I figure.

I'd like to point out, you can remove the u-joint without removing the swingarm, after removing the final drive and driveshaft, pull the front of the boot back, pull the u-joint off the engine and drop it into the swingarm front. Fold the boot, and remove it sideways from the gap. Catch the front of the u-joint with a magnet, and remove it through the gap up and to the right, towards the shock. Reverse to install.

Brad

OP
OP
97af
Bike
Red NT
97af, glad you got it back together.

I'll chime in, since I've done this a couple times. The NT shifts like a dream if the u-joint splines are greased, at least that's been my experience. Something about the grease taking up the slack, I figure.

I'd like to point out, you can remove the u-joint without removing the swingarm, after removing the final drive and driveshaft, pull the front of the boot back, pull the u-joint off the engine and drop it into the swingarm front. Fold the boot, and remove it sideways from the gap. Catch the front of the u-joint with a magnet, and remove it through the gap up and to the right, towards the shock. Reverse to install.

Brad
Thanks Brad,
Yep on the removing the ujoint without swingarm removal. I was playing around with the ujoint at the boot at reassemble and was moving it backwards toward the wheel and it came off the output shaft. Not a lot of room to get it out of there but I know I could have gotten it out of there. Getting at the swingarm bearings was one of the intended tasks but next lube service, the ujoint is coming out without the rest of it being removed for sure.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks Brad,
Yep on the removing the ujoint without swingarm removal. I was playing around with the ujoint at the boot at reassemble and was moving it backwards toward the wheel and it came off the output shaft. Not a lot of room to get it out of there but I know I could have gotten it out of there. Getting at the swingarm bearings was one of the intended tasks but next lube service, the ujoint is coming out without the rest of it being removed for sure.
One of the great things about forums like this one is community knowledge. When I got my FJR, I was warned about the need to "Pull the pumpkin(Final drive) and check for grease under the front UJ cover. They were right. There was none visible. At the first tire change, I pulled the pumpkin and removed the UJ cover and took out the front UJ. I then use Moly60 to lube everything up front. Easy to pull the cover of the front UJ and inspect now. Perhaps Yamaha put on some amount of clear grease I just couldnt see or feel. A Q tip showed a bit and you can see some in the first photo. I seldom ride in the rain and no road salt, but still, I feel better using Moly 60
S3.JPG
s5.JPG

OP
OP
97af
Bike
Red NT
My FJR was exactly like yours.... And is exactly like yours....With that magical grey stuff. It got the Moly 60 treatment too. Just shy of 60k at moment mile wise. Its funny, the FJR was the catalyst for the buy of the NT. Love the FJR but It just started to tire me out a little quickly riding it like it shouldn't be ridden:)

Top Bottom