Tire Change on new NT?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I've only had my NT for like 4 1/2 months and I've done 21K so far.
way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your in my mileage league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better put your mileage in the mileage tracker

Bike
2010 NT700V
Most of the folks on this forum are riders. I'm amazed when I look at Craig's List, 20 year old Harley's with 5,000 miles on 'em. They will tell you... "Why I been ridin' for twenty years..." when actually, they have learned to ride twenty times...

;)

Mike
I understand the Harley garage queen. Harleys are often just very expensive fashion accessories. Low mileage Ducatis and Hayabusas also don't surprise me. However, the NT700 is about as far removed as you can get from hip motorcycle fashion. It's about as trendy as a large rubbermaid tote with a seat and two wheels. I just don't get why someone would spend thousands on one if they didn't plan to use it.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I know, if I buy anything, i'm going to use it. well thought out idea, only way to not use a motorcycle is unforeseen health problems

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I understand the Harley garage queen. Harleys are often just very expensive fashion accessories. Low mileage Ducatis and Hayabusas also don't surprise me. However, the NT700 is about as far removed as you can get from hip motorcycle fashion. It's about as trendy as a large rubbermaid tote with a seat and two wheels. I just don't get why someone would spend thousands on one if they didn't plan to use it.
They probably did intend on using it. A lot of NT’s were bought by older gentlemen. You can see in some of the selling descriptions mention of scratches on the side covers from a drop. I suspect many bought the NT and found out it was not as small and light as they had hoped our medical issues got in the way.

OP
OP
I ride as much as possible with my work schedule. My uncle and I and some neighbor buddies have bikes so we get out Sunday am and ride towards West Virginia and Ohio. We stop for breakfast shoot the bs and ride till noon. Usually 80 to 100 mile loop. I also have a Vstrom 1000 which I also like a lot. I only rode the nt home from the buyers, 138 miles all highway and very happy with the wind protection. Went to the notary and maybe to get the state inspection this afternoon. Changed the gear oil and will do the oil and filter this week also. Hate to start an oil thread but I use diesel oil in the bikes. Rorella. It was either this NT or a Mz Traveller I was thinking about. KInda rare bike but very interesting. I think what sold me was not having to deal with carbs. Fuel injection is sooo nice. I will ride the NT more and if doesn't suit me you may find it on the site for sale. I went from a FJR1300 to vstrom 650, big difference, found a vstrom 1000 I could not pass up and my neighbor bought my 650. I have been watching the nt and even rode one a guy was trading in on an adventure bike but can't remeber what. Has anybody added some kind of handguards? My vstrom has plastic ones and they work great to keep the weather off the hands. Also I am looking at tires, whats everybody like? I had Avon on a fz6, loved em, and roadsmarts 3 on the fjr. Loved them to.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It would be a good idea to inspect the latching mechanism for the integrated bags. Not only the latches on the lids but the latching mechanism under the plastic. If you cruise through the topics, you'll find that latch repair is high on the list at this website.

ps. I've been using diesel-rated, Rotella for eons and it works fine. End of oil thread! :)

OP
OP
previous owner had to fix one of latches. I have Givi bags on the vstrom, hard plastic, they are really nice and solid

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was hooked on long-distance riding before I bought my NT. I had done two Saddle Sore 1000s and a Bun Burner 1500 before I bought the NT and thought it would work for the long rides. It has, although a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) made me really wish it had an auxiliary fuel tank. 9 fuel stops (with a biological break at each) made that ride harder than it would have been with another couple of gallons! I was running close to 80mph for the whole ride and that was giving me 180 miles/tank, but there were stretches where I had to fill up in 120-150 miles because there wouldn't be gas stations spaced to fit my range. The whole ride was in Nevada.

And then there was "the Epic Ride..."

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I was hooked on long-distance riding before I bought my NT. I had done two Saddle Sore 1000s and a Bun Burner 1500 before I bought the NT and thought it would work for the long rides. It has, although a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) made me really wish it had an auxiliary fuel tank. 9 fuel stops (with a biological break at each) made that ride harder than it would have been with another couple of gallons! I was running close to 80mph for the whole ride and that was giving me 180 miles/tank, but there were stretches where I had to fill up in 120-150 miles because there wouldn't be gas stations spaced to fit my range. The whole ride was in Nevada.

And then there was "the Epic Ride..."
I hope that next summer once my retirement is finalized, I will be able to embark on my epic ride as I too dearly love long distance riding. Nothing makes me happier than to hop on Traveller and take off. My oldest son, Mike Jr. shares my love for the call of the open road. We both have documented Saddle Sore 1000's and several undocumented ones. I don't know if this 70 year old body is up to a Bun Burner though. I am formulating my plan to hit the four corners and the maritimes in Canada and maybe Alaska. I'm considering a bit of a cheat on Alaska though. I am concerned that if I ride the Alcan highway to Alaska I may have trouble with the inevitable gravel sections and if I drop Traveller I will be screwed since I plan on riding alone. I am thinking that once I reach the Washington state corner I will take the inner passage ferry to Alaska and ride up there for several days and then return via ferry to resume my four corners trip. Yeah, it's cheating a bit but would still be an epic trip.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike, I know that every year is different, but Jim and I didn't have any trouble with the construction areas. We both thought that the road builders did a good job of keeping the construction areas rideable.

Hey, if you sweet talk me, I might consider riding back up there with you. :D

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm considering a bit of a cheat on Alaska though. I am concerned that if I ride the Alcan highway to Alaska I may have trouble with the inevitable gravel sections and if I drop Traveller I will be screwed since I plan on riding alone. I am thinking that once I reach the Washington state corner I will take the inner passage ferry to Alaska and ride up there for several days and then return via ferry to resume my four corners trip. Yeah, it's cheating a bit but would still be an epic trip.
No worries about the Alaska Highway Mike, it is all paved. Sure there is construction during the summer, but the construction areas I saw were very well managed. Biggest obstacles there were RVs - they travel in herds and it is hard to pass. I think I passed 13 at once, but Phil beat me by passing 14 in a row. The only bad road we saw was the last 50 - 100 miles before the Alaska border where there are huge frost heaves. I saw Phil launch his butt off his seat a few times. I've seen many much worse construction zones in the continental US. The Cassiar Highway was much worse than the Alaska Highway but all paved.

I, too want to go back. I went too fast last time and missed a bunch of stuff I wish I would have stopped to see. DON'T GO TOO FAST. ENJOY.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
No worries about the Alaska Highway Mike, it is all paved. Sure there is construction during the summer, but the construction areas I saw were very well managed. Biggest obstacles there were RVs - they travel in herds and it is hard to pass. I think I passed 13 at once, but Phil beat me by passing 14 in a row. The only bad road we saw was the last 50 - 100 miles before the Alaska border where there are huge frost heaves. I saw Phil launch his butt off his seat a few times. I've seen many much worse construction zones in the continental US. The Cassiar Highway was much worse than the Alaska Highway but all paved.

I, too want to go back. I went too fast last time and missed a bunch of stuff I wish I would have stopped to see. DON'T GO TOO FAST. ENJOY.
Well, that settles it! Both you and Phil want to go back so we can make it a threesome! …. and of course, you get to buy the ice cream!

:ROFLMAO:

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, that settles it! Both you and Phil want to go back so we can make it a threesome! …. and of course, you get to buy the ice cream!
Me and my ice cream are "in".
Whatever is left of Phil after his diet might go too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It'll depend some on the dates, but I'm considering it. I won't camp though.

OP
OP
I hope that next summer once my retirement is finalized, I will be able to embark on my epic ride as I too dearly love long distance riding. Nothing makes me happier than to hop on Traveller and take off. My oldest son, Mike Jr. shares my love for the call of the open road. We both have documented Saddle Sore 1000's and several undocumented ones. I don't know if this 70 year old body is up to a Bun Burner though. I am formulating my plan to hit the four corners and the maritimes in Canada and maybe Alaska. I'm considering a bit of a cheat on Alaska though. I am concerned that if I ride the Alcan highway to Alaska I may have trouble with the inevitable gravel sections and if I drop Traveller I will be screwed since I plan on riding alone. I am thinking that once I reach the Washington state corner I will take the inner passage ferry to Alaska and ride up there for several days and then return via ferry to resume my four corners trip. Yeah, it's cheating a bit but would still be an epic trip.

Mike
So you have a traveller then?

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Mike,
The Alaskan ferry system is a good way to get to places that are not connected to the main road systems (We visit by cruise ship). Sounds like fun.

OP
OP
Got it. Was wondering when you start up the bike cold where is your idle? mine is around 2 and takes awhile to drop to idle. My vstrom starts up at 15 and drops to idle in about 10 seconds. I always let the bike warm up. Yesterday when I rode to work it idled for about 2 minutes then I pulled out and it runs fine but you pull the clutch in and shifts and bike takes off a little. Idle stays up. I was thinking maybe taking the air filter off and spraying intake cleaner in and cleaning up the intake.

Top Bottom