Tire Pressures Can o' worms thread

Bike
2010 Red NT700
OK. We all know what the NT owner's manual says about tire pressures. 36/42...
I just picked up my bike from the shop after having my PR3s mounted. The paperwork shows the tires inflated to 40/40, which they did last time I was in there.
Do they know something we don't know about tires or should I re-adjust to 36/42???
I know I'm going to get a hundred answers but let's have 'em
Clay

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
There's two settings... the bike manufacturers' recommendations and the tire manufacturer's recommendations. I usually use the tire manufacturer's.

2-4 lbs isn't going to make a huge different, once underway the pressure goes up as much as 10lbs on the rear and 5-8 on the front based on the TPMS readings I've seen.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Think about the origin of the TP recommendations.... on one hand you have the manufacturer of the motorcycle who employs countless engineers whose sole job is provide the safest, sportiest and most comfortable ride possible. These self-same engineers also have the expertise and support of the OE tire manufacturer who I am sure has had a hand in determining through experience and extensive testing the optimum pressures for the bike. One the other hand, you have the tire shop.

I know which tire pressure recommendations I would use.

'nuff said?

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Tire Pressure recommendations are a really starting point...not the end all. Most vehicle manufactures add some pages in the Owners Manual talking about increased load, sustained high speed, road conditions, and other changes to the vehicles dynamics. In most of those cases they suggest raising the cold tire pressure from the baseline, 36/42PSI in this case, by as much as 5-10PSI... I have not ever seen a case where the manufacture suggested reducing the tire pressure below the baseline. Personally I wouldn't run 40/40PSI but I wouldn't be married to 36/42PSI either... Your riding conditions may dictate increasing the tire pressure...

In the case of non-OEM replacement tires I also use the tire manufactures recommendations, when available, as they know what their tire needs...which may be very different than the OEM "rim protectors" that some vehicles come with...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hey Clay... how much did they charge you for the tire change?

You know I have a no mar tire changer and in the last 3 years have probably changed almost 300 tires, just did a couple more over the weekend.

Next time, order them from www.discount-motorcycletires.com/home and have them sent to me then we'll schedule some time and you can come over and we'll take care of them. You'll have to take the old tires with you as I can't do anything with them anymore but I should be able to save you a lot of $$ on tire changes.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Bike/car/truck mfg and tire mfg recommendations are technically the same. The tire sidewall pressure is for when the tire is carrying the MAX load the tire is rated for. If you check with the tire mfg they have a table that correlates the load on the tire to the air pressure. The vehicle mfg recommendation is for the specific vehicle with a "standard" load (usually driver and full tank of gas, driver being ~180lb). Trucks typically show two pressures, one for "standard" load and one for max vehicle load (not necessarily the same as the tire maximum).

For cars you'll almost always be within the standard operating range of the tire. Trucks depends. My 3/4T has less than 50psi in the rear tires normally. When I hook up the fifth wheel trailer I increase to 75psi (tire max is 80psi).

Motorcycles I do the same. I am a bit above the "standard" person weight so I will fill up to a couple pounds over the mfg rating. When I load it up for a trip I'll increase the rear tire pressure to compensate (I also increase the rear preload for the same reason).

Motorcycles are more sensitive to load than cars simply because the rider and other weight is such a large percentage of the overall gross vehicle weight.

So, I would expect most people here to run with slightly different pressures depending on their load and how they ride.

The one thing I would recommend is to rarely run UNDER the mfg recommendation (I try to never say never, there is always some exception to the rules).

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Hey Clay... how much did they charge you for the tire change?
Joe,
I paid $117 at the Honda shop in Rockwall. I appreciate the future offer and I will certainly take you up on it. I hope it's a long time though, or at least a lot of miles!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Joe,
I paid $117 at the Honda shop in Rockwall. I appreciate the future offer and I will certainly take you up on it. I hope it's a long time though, or at least a lot of miles!
You got it.. I hope it's a lot of miles but a short time :)

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
At any rate, I'm glad I have the new skates on. I want everything to go as well as possible riding two-up next weekend. I found a 4 BR house near Talihina for $100/night.(actually in Albion)
We're gonna ride up Friday and meet one of my brothers and his wife and do the Drive on Saturday. I just hope not too many folks have the same idea. It wasn't too crowded last weekend, but the colors are just starting to change up there, so it may start to get crazy. We'll see.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
At any rate, I'm glad I have the new skates on. I want everything to go as well as possible riding two-up next weekend. I found a 4 BR house near Talihina for $100/night.(actually in Albion)
We're gonna ride up Friday and meet one of my brothers and his wife and do the Drive on Saturday. I just hope not too many folks have the same idea. It wasn't too crowded last weekend, but the colors are just starting to change up there, so it may start to get crazy. We'll see.
Don't forget your raingear, gonna be a wet one. Not much in Albion but that one small store I think.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think the rain is this weekend, but next week when we're going is looking good. Re stores: Talihina is only a 5-10 minute ride for supplies.
I couldnt find the store in Albion last week when I was there. Didn't look that hard though

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I think the rain is this weekend, but next week when we're going is looking good. Re stores: Talihina is only a 5-10 minute ride for supplies.
I couldnt find the store in Albion last week when I was there. Didn't look that hard though
Ah.. my bad, getting my 'next' and 'this' mixed up again.. LOL

Google doesn't show anything and street view must be old. There is a place there on the main street that I always see cars/pickups at and have never stopped. Talihina is very close, surprised you didn't just grab the motel at the edge of town in Talihina... There's another one as you get into town as well. No idea of prices though.

If you get a chance... do 82 north out of Talihina all the way to Red Oak, then you can take 270 east to 271 south to the entrance of Talimena Scenic Drive. , 82 doesn't look like much on the map but it's a nice road.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
surprised you didn't just grab the motel at the edge of town in Talihina...
I rented a house since there's two couples. Its easier to get together and visit, yet still have the privacy of your own bedroom/bathroom.
When its just me and Joy, I get a room or a smaller cabin. I found some real nice ones in Mena last week that are pretty new looking and not too pricey, with paved driveways for bikers. may try them someday
"Mena Mountaintop Cabins"
My wife won't camp and I have to have electricity for my CPAP machine at bedtime.

Top Bottom