Tire Recommendations?

tawilke46

Is there brand, tire # would be the concensus replacement to the OEM Bridgestones?
Bridgestone BT023's, Michelin Pilot PR3's???????
Avons, Continentals??
How many miles can be expected out of the OEM tires doing easy riding?

Just curious.

Not ready to replace just yet.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm much happier with the BT-023s from Bridgestone than I was with the BT-020 OEM tire. Better wear, better grip, better feel.

My OEM rear tire was worn out at 6,000 miles. I'd guess I'll get 8-10,000 on the BT-023s. I ran a set of Metzler ME-880s, radial front, bias-belted rear and got good wear, 12,000 miles, but not as good a grip or feel. I won't do that again.

I'll probably try a set of PR3s next.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I am running Avon Storm II on my NT and PR3's on my ST. Both are great tires. Better than the OEM tires. OEM got me 8k miles on the rear of my NT. PR3's got me 10k on the rear of my ST, which is heaver and more HP.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I replaced my OEM tires at 6500 miles. The front was badly cupped and the rear was getting low on tread. I went with the PR3's and absolutely love them. I have over 7000 miles on them now and they still look nearly new. They definitely handle much bettter than the OEM Bridgestones and feel better in wet conditions.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I am reasonably certain that regardless of the brand or the version you buy they will feel better than the worn out ones you take off.
My stock tires got replaced with a matched set of Bridgestone 023's and they have worked great for me so far. Time will tell how long they last for me. I would buy an other set at this point, but have not ridden any of the others...

bicyclist

We all look for tires with excellent wear characteristics and that stick like glue. Usedta be that you could have one or the other. Tires that lasted for many miles were hard and slick. Tires that stuck like glue wore out in no time. The new dual compound tires offer the best of both worlds. I've used Dunlop Roadsmarts, RP2s, and RP3s. The ones I like the best are the RP3s. The OEM tires are crap.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The nice thing about the NT is that with its 17" wheels every major tire manufacture makes a sport touring tire that will fit. Just look at price and availability then make your selection. Frankly they are all pretty good. Over the life of the NT you should get a chance to try many of them if you are adventurous otherwise stick with the brand you prefer.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I got 12,500 miles from the OEM Bridgestone BT020s. the rear was showing the wear bars. Front has plenty of tread but was cupped to point I could feel it. Replaced with B023s. Like them so far. I am now at 19,000 miles total so 6,500 on the new tires. They seem to perform well, better than the OEM. I am alos a "gentle rider".

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My stock tires were over 9k when I replaced them. Definite squaring on rear and cupping on front, worn past the wear bars. But, they still cornered nicely.

The stock tires would 'track' in rain grooves. I could also not ride with hands off the bars, the front end would start shaking. Cornering they were good.

I went to the UK Deau forum and found that a lot of them liked the Avon Storm II's so that's what I have now. They are much more stable in a straight line. I can ride hands off for as long as I want. They don't track rain grooves at all. Have ridden them in the wet a few times and they feel just as stable on wet roads (I don't do hard cornering in the wet). I have not found their limit in cornering yet. I have dragged the pegs a few times bit I am not one to evaluate ultimate cornering.

PS the mfg tire selection is rarely about excellent performance. It is cost first, then performance. I've never used the stock tire types on a bike or car when I cared about performance, either mileage or cornering.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've been happy enough with the BT-023s. My dealer always has them on "sale" for about $250/pair.

What have you guys paid for the PR3s (that stands for Pilot Road 3 :) , BTW).

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I think, after reading all the above posts, I have got it narrowed down to two tires.
Either the Bridgestone BT023's or the Michelin RP3's.

As usual, thanks for everyone's input.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I got 6,000 on my OEM rear BT-020 and replaced it went with the BT-023 and got about 10,500. Went with another Bt-023. I paid less than $225 for a set from Dennis Kirk and installed them myself. Can't beat the price, wear and handling.

Top Bottom