Tire repair options

There is product called "Ride-On" that was highly recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News a few years back and I've been using it since that time. I put it in the tire when new and unlike Slime is can be cleaner off easily. It is a sealer that is activated by contact with the outside air. For many years it was extremely difficult to find because the military was buying most of their production but now availability is good.

Competition Accessories sells Ride-On. They have a video where they run 6 nails into the tire and drill two holes into it and the Ride-On seals all of them. They also claim it acts as a wheel balancer and water can be used for easy clean ups.

I originally said I was losing .33 lbs/hr after removing the FOD from the tire.

I guess the hole is so small and tight, the air is having a tough time escaping.

During the day, the tire lost 0 lbs
Overnight it went down by 2lbs
My rate of loss is now .16 lbs per hour while parked and cold

I'm not going to do anything til this leak gets worse

Your choice; BUTT a stich in time saves nine.

Watch it carefully! Remember fixing it on your own tems in your garage at home is sure easier than doing it alongside of a dangerous highway in heavy traffic!!!

Eldon

I originally said I was losing .33 lbs/hr after removing the FOD from the tire.

I guess the hole is so small and tight, the air is having a tough time escaping.

During the day, the tire lost 0 lbs
Overnight it went down by 2lbs
My rate of loss is now .16 lbs per hour while parked and cold

I'm not going to do anything til this leak gets worse

The variance you are seeing could also be a result of the change in ambient temperatures. A rule of thumb is 1psi for each 10 degrees F change in temp.

Mike

The variance you are seeing could also be a result of the change in ambient temperatures. A rule of thumb is 1psi for each 10 degrees F change in temp.

Mike

Mike I am going to track it. You may be right. I have a feeling it isn't leaking at all since I removed the splinter

Mike

I knew tire pressure changed with temp as I have monitored tire temps pretty close with my RV's. Sometimes checking press and temp at every stop.

But, when I got the TPMS for the bike it still surprised me. It also changes a LOT with how you are riding and how much load you have.

I started out yesterday with the press at 36psi. A few miles down the road and it was 40. Went through some twisty sections and it was up to 42. Stopped for breakfast and came out and it was back down to 39. All of this was at an outside temp that went from 37 to 49F in those couple of hours.

It also reinforces the old rule, NEVER let air out of the tire when checking it on the road.

It also reinforced my decision to get the TPMS for the bike.

I have to say I am paranoid about flats...I carry the Stop and Go kit, Slime, gummy worms, and the Dynaplug kit.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/714...g&matchtype=&gclid=CJm_io3Cm74CFQqPfgod_4MAiw
I would have liked to try the Dynaplug on this particular flat. Its the cat's pajamas for very small holes.....
Before I injured my hand, I saved my last NT tire and was going to use it for try various flat repair techniques that could be used in the field. Now that my hand is better, perhaps I can find some time to do the practice. A clinic at the ralley would be a good thing, also....I am interested in the fact that the steal belts can shear a plug....but I don't think that would happen in the short term.
Now, due to your experience, I want to try the Stop and go Mushrooom plugger...some say there is a bit of a technique to it....I still have the old tire....

(
Rick, I just plugged that tire and you wanted me to let you know how it went. Under 5 minutes, didn't break a sweat, barely got my hands dirty. The trick is the tire repair kit itself.
Its a Stop and Go international tubeless repair kit ( I got the one with CO2 in case I'm ever in a real tight spot)
If you look at this kit closely you will see the genius of it and why getting a mushroom into a tire is no problem at all

Clay

...I am interested in the fact that the steal belts can shear a plug....

I have a DynaPlug kit and tried a "practice" repair on a Bridgestone 020 several years ago. The steel belts prevented me from penetrating the tire with the tool. I could get through it with a drill motor & drill bit but not with the tool. It might have been easier with the tire mounted on the rim. With the tire on the bench, it was just too flexible.

Yep, it is a bit difficult to get through steel belts with the reamers, but, it can be done with a bit of patience. It is a little easier if it still has some air in it, but, even on a bike the tread tends to 'collapse' during the process. If I have room I like to carry one of the T-handle reamers. A bit easier on the hands.

And, yes, an electric drill makes it much easier.

I want to try the Stop and go Mushrooom plugger...some say there is a bit of a technique to it....I still have the old tire....
No technique at all...just follow the instructions

Turning an allen wrench with a long handle is all it takes to get the plug in

Glad it worked well. I've only done one on a bike and it was a bit tough but manageable. On a truck tire it takes some stamina :)

Hummmm....The day before Frosty and I left for the rally, he borrowed my Dyna plug kit and put in one or two and didn't mention having any issues....I will have to ask him....did you pound a nail through the tire first or drill a hole to repair?

I have a DynaPlug kit and tried a "practice" repair on a Bridgestone 020 several years ago. The steel belts prevented me from penetrating the tire with the tool. I could get through it with a drill motor & drill bit but not with the tool. It might have been easier with the tire mounted on the rim. With the tire on the bench, it was just too flexible.

OK, now I really AM going to have to reach into the time bucket and find a handful of time to drill a hole in my old tire and try this.....
No technique at all...just follow the instructions

Turning an allen wrench with a long handle is all it takes to get the plug in

So it turns out the hole I fixed was definitely leaking but it wasnt the real culprit of my woes. Once I fixed hole 'A' I was still losing about 7lbs overnight.

When I got home last night I broke out the soapy water and found the real leak and fixed it too. This one was on top of the tread and right on the edge of it too.
I little more work getting the reamer in, but still a snap to plug. The Stop n Go rig is really easy to use
Checked her this mornning and she was holding at 42!
Rode into work
yeah, baby

So all my bragging on my mushroom plug was for naught. The mushrooms are fine but I guess not always the best fix. It worked good on the first small hole, but would not hold on the second larger hole,
I went and got some red gummi worms and they worked better but not good enough

New rear PR4 is on the way

(sigh of resignation)

On my first attempt at repairing a tire, I used gummy worms. It held...but still had a small leak. I put in Slime to get me back and forth to work while I ordered a new tire. After committing to the new tire, I realized the Slime had plugged the remaining leak. I changed the tire out since I had no experience with Slime before then and I had the new tire purchased. But I suspect the Slime and gummy worm would've worked fine.

Chris

I mispoke: Both the mushroom and gummi worms held, but leaked fast enough that I would have had to inflate the tire coming and going to work. Slime would do the trick, probably, but somehting about this particular hole told me to just go ahead and order the new tire. If you could see exactly where it is you would know where I am coming from.
I'm not usuallly a guy to quit on a part or fix things that aren't broke.
But my gut told me this time to bite the bullet, and my instincts are usually right, so....

Back
Top Bottom