Tire suggestions

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
BigBill, I had a ME-880 Radial F and ME-880 Bias-ply rear. The front lasted about 17,000 mi; the rear about 15,000 mi. But when I replaced them with BT-023s, the change in handling was so dramatic that I decided never to use the Metzlers again. If there were a radial ME-880 150/70X17, I might try it again.

I ran bias-ply tires on my two Concours for about 159,000 miles and they handled better than the OEM Dunlop radials, a K700 front and a K701 on the rear. But the bias-ply just doesn't work very well on the rear of the NT.

I guess you might try a bias-ply front with the bias-ply rear Metzler and have a better experience than I did...

That might be a better experience.
If I could have gotten both tires in a radial, I would have gone with the ME880's, but the rear was only available in bias.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for in feedback. Like you, if the roads are dry, I've ridden down to the teens. As a commuter, you can identify where the ice forms and take steps to avoid them.

Chris
Most of the time :D :D :D

Still makes me nervous when riding well below freezing, but, I do it anyway. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I didn't even think about offering feedback about the PR3s in cold and wet, but I'm greatly impressed. On my ride home from Fort Worth in early May, I'd taken a "long-cut" so I could ride in the mountains. I went to Clayton, NM, camped and headed for Taos. Just west of Cimarron, NM, as I got into the mountains, the roads were wet. West of Angel Fire, it began to rain hard, and temps dropped into the upper 30s. The PR3s were fine.

Leaving Buena Vista, CO, climbing up Trout Creek Pass, temps were in the low 30s and dropping. Then about 20 miles from Fairplay, it started to snow and the temperatures dropped to about 23F. It had been warm the day before and so I made about 10 miles before the snow started sticking to the road. But the last 10 miles I was slowed down to 15mph. I saw two cars in the ditch, one a 4WD SUV that a highway patrol officer was stopped at. By the time I got to Fairplay, the snow was probably 1-2" on the road, and my pucker factor was at about a 10+. But the bike never felt squirmy or loose, even when I turned into a "drive" into a motel that ended up being a mud and gravel trail leading down to the river.

I had to stop and turn around. It was too narrow to U-turn in and I got off the bike. I could barely move without slipping and sliding, but the bike just moved where I pushed it.

I feel much better about the PR3s in questionable traction situations now.

CommuterNT

Chris,

I put a rear PR3 on in the beginning of February and had no issues riding with it during our NW winter and spring. The front OEM was another story and I didn't feel too confident on it. I replaced that at around 7000 and like everybody else has said it made a world of difference in handling, noise and comfort.

Kyle

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
For those of you who have the PR3, how did they handle in temps down around (or at) freezing?

My concern is the harder center compound might not give the grip if you are down in the 33-35F temperature range. I've been caught out on a commute and was doing fine till I took the elevated off ramp...and was staring at a solid sheet of white hoar frost.

Chris
This Winter i didn't notice any difference in cold weather grip. They put sand/salt mix on the roads so I was cautious at turns, but I would say the PR3 might perform better than the stock tires. I can say confidently they were at least as good. The front tire has lateral siping that improves wet grip and I think it helps in the cold too. I tried to ride more than the previous winter and purchased heated gear to make it more comfortable. I also rode the NT in cold weather much more than the DR. Much warmer :).

My dad was at my house last night, he was looking at my NT and asked me if I put new tires on it. They are almost exactly 1 year old and ~5,000 miles. They nubs are wore down, but any wear is not noticeable. The greatest thing I can say about the PR3 is the lack of cupping. By the time the stock tires had 5,000 miles I felt less confident in their handling and the cupping was annoying. Even if the wear of the PR3 accelerates and I only get ~10K out of the rear, I will probably replace it with another PR3.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I have to say the new PR3 front is so much smoother and quieter and lends a bit more confidence in tight turns and twisties, looking forward to getting the new PR3 on the rear wheel too. :)

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
I'm about to try the Metzeler Z8s. I'll let you know how I fare with those. Don't hold your breath, it'll take me a year to report back to you. Ooh, just saw that you live in Texas. We have heat up here in New England, but not Texas heat. Does everything have to be bigger down there?

Well, for now I can tell you that on my BMW RT1200, I averaged 14,000 on them. Not cheap though, but, then again, neither are the PR3s.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My dealer charged me $55/tire to mount two tires yesterday.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I just got an email that my new Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires are installed, valve stems replaced with metal ones, and splines lubed with Honda moly 60. I'll be picking it up tonight -- $425.23 out-the-door. I hope they last a good long time. I got around 8500 miles out of the OEM tires.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
My dealer charged me $55/tire to mount two tires yesterday.
YIKES!

My dealer charged $30 for the front & $40 for the rear, and after giving the best tire prices (PR3s) you can get anywhere.

With tax it was under $350 for everything.

I think they want to sell me more bikes... ;)

Top Bottom