Tire Work

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I am coming close to needing a fresh set of rubber, and I am contemplating whether to do it myself or have a dealer mount them. I feel confident about removing the wheel, and getting the tire off the rim is something I can work out, my main concern is balancing them.

I need advice from the more experienced tire changers here to inform me of owner methods of mounting and balancing the new tires. I have read most of the postings here, and balancing newly mounted tires is rarely discussed. After considering the information I receive here and determining what is required, I will decide which way to go (I do woodworking as a hobby, so making jigs or aids is no problem).

Thank you for your help...

elizilla

I have successfully balanced a tire on a steel rod set on two jackstands. But you can get more precision with a balancing stand that has bearings in it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Dyna beads work great but changing tires using the tire spoons is a pain in the a## getting the the old tire off is no problem but stretching the new tire on can sometimes be a real pain especially doing it without scratching the rims. Not for me anymore. Do yourself a favor, call around to the local shops, my local Triumph dealer quoted me 60 bucks total to mount and balance both wheels and he sells Dynabeads. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I agree, getting the old tires off and new ones on is the tough part. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a tire machine. Balance is the easy part.

OP
OP
Laserdot
Bike
2010 ABS Silver
Thank you all for the wisdom...I went over to the ST forum and searched there, and discovered a few ideas for balancing. So it is appearing that the removal and installation back onto the rim is the tall pole...more information to consider.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
As John suggested, putting the tyre in the hot sun for a few hours is the way to go. In the absence of sun, a hair dryer is fine.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Like I said you won't have much of a problem getting the old tires off because they're nice and broken in and stretched but the new ones even when out in the sun and warmed up you still struggle to get them over the rim WITHOUT scratching, or at least I did. It's just not worth it if you figure in your time and the potential to scratch up your rims it makes more sense to run the rims over to a cycle shop and let them do the change. Faster, easier and no agravation. It's enough of a PITA just getting the rims off the bike, especially the rear. You'll notice every scratch you put on the rims during the process from here on out and new rims cost a lot of bucks. At least if the shop scratches them they owe you some sort of compensation.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
As John suggested, putting the tyre in the hot sun for a few hours is the way to go. In the absence of sun, a hair dryer is fine.
If you've got an understanding wife like mine, you can also put the tire partially in the oven or on top of the stove with the oven on. She's the greatest!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My 7 year old grandson helped me put on my front tire. Not hard and he was the one that pointed out that I had my tire irons on the wrong side of my rim protectors! So if you have an observant grandson you don't need to scratch the rims. But then again I don't care about a few scratches as my rear wheel attest. He wasn't there to help me with this one!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Team Colorado ST guys here in Denver have a network of two tire changing stands. One on the west side and one on the east side of town to help in changing tires. Also I have small independent shop, about 6 miles from my house, that will R&R and balance a tire for about 17 bucks a wheel. You bring in the tire and wheel. If you buy the tires from him the mounting and balancing is $7.50. If you ride the bike to him then of course he will also charge to removing and installing the wheel back on the bike. I prefer to remove the wheel myself as I can make sure that the splines get lubed properly with Honda Molly Paste 60.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Mike,
I changed tires 2 weeks ago both front & rear. I posted some pics of my stand for wheel removal and also for breaking the beads. See thread "Do it yourself wheel removal". I found the tires on the NT pretty easy to break the beads loose, pry them off/on and they popped back on bead seats with very little air pressure. In the past I have struggled sometimes to get air in them to seat the beads but these went on easily. The sidewalls seemed flexible and I think that helped.

As far as balancing I use a bearing type called "Marc's Universal Wheel Balancer". It looks exactly like this one from Riderwearhouse
" Compact Wheel Balancer #4605-4606-4610-4645 ".
It works well and fits most wheels fine. It is a little slow, the wheel will continue to turn for several revolutions. I built a stand from 2x4s to hold the wheel while balancing. I bought some extra OEM wheel weights from Honda in the 3 weights available so I should be prepared to balance any combination needed. I like the OEM weights, they clamp on so you don't need to stick them on or clean the glue from the old ones.
I like to change my own so I know other maintenance like final drive lubing was done and with the correct moly 60 lube. Pretty important.

Good Luck,

ARKNT

OP
OP
Laserdot
Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I posted some pics of my stand for wheel removal and also for breaking the beads. See thread "Do it yourself wheel removal".
ARKNT, Thank you for your response, I read your thread and noticed the home made "helpers" and thought it would be easy for me to construct a similar bead breaker. Space will allow me to make the stand. The OEM weights sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure what I will do, just lining up my ducks so when I reach the wear bars I will be ready. Thank you all for the good advice.

silverdevil

go to www.marcpharnes.com
he has a Portable Motorcycle Wheel Balancer that I have been using for years and I used it when I did my NT tire change a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom