Tires - Dealer Communications

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Michelin was having a rebate so I bought a set of Road 5's for the VFR800 from the local Honda/BMW/Ducati/Kawasaki ... dealer on Sat.
The parts manager was the one I dealt with. I asked if I brought the wheels in could they mount them? I asked if they had short valve stems since there is very little clearance in the rear. He brought out a box of short valve stems and said if these didn't work he has a shipment coming on Wed.
I brought the wheels and told the service rep to dispose of the old tires, but I wanted the valve old stems (I marked each with a dab of paint to identify them.) I also stressed that the new stem could not be any longer than what was currently on the wheel.
About 90 minutes later the tires were done. As the service rep was doing the paperwork, I asked about the old valve stems. She said that they didn't have any short ones so the tech just left the old ones in. (Keep in mind that I was 20 ft away the whole time). I told her that the stems were at a minimum, 16 years old and perhaps older. They said they would find the correct new valve stems and install them.

I wonder if I had not marked the old stems with a paint dot, whether they would have given them a swipe of oil and called it good. I like this dealer, but it does not instill confidence.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Both of my bikes have the short, 80-degree angle alum valve stems that are sealed with an internal O-ring. No problems with the rubber base rotting away and causing a leak.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I put aluminum 80 deg on my NT, never have to change them. you probably buy them, break the bead, put them in, without moving tire on rim. I pointed them to side opposite kick stand, so I can see them better

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Woodaddict - I merely waited until the tires needed to be changed then I did the tire valves at the same time. Much easier to do after the tire has removed from the rim but your way is also possible. :)

ps. The angled stems are especially helpful on the front wheel because of the close proximity of the brake discs. I have my stems pointing left but others have them to the right. Both direction are "right" for the person checking the air. My bike usually sits on the centerstand in my garage so my left pointing valves work fine. I suppose if I checked air on the sidestand, I might want them pointing to the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Thanks for the idea! I had a set of those exact valve stems for the NT. Had I remembered that I had these, I would have had them installed. I did not use them on the NT because I used a metal T stem for a TPMS.
I called the Honda dealer first thing and they said they did have some short valve stems that came in over night (or in parts). I told them to install them. I am not sure how the tech would tighten the angle stem nut correctly inside of the tire. A little afraid of "shop shortcuts".

I think the metal valve stem on the NT came with a lock nut on the inside.

Angled Stems.JPG

NT700 TPMS Stem.JPG

Bike
2011 NT700VA
Perfect, gonna order a couple today, such a hastle to remove the TPMS monitors every time I want to add a couple of ponds. Thanks Macka!

Top Bottom