To those who has installed original lower fairing...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Ordered lower fairing from England. Package arrived fast, but with seemingly missing parts for installation....

Document included with the shipment states "The brackets attatch to the motorcycle using M8 rubber wellnuts and M6 x 25 button head allen bolts in place of previous hex head bolts and washers."

All good, except those parts are not included, and I cannot see using 25 pieces of any type of fasteners for this install. What could I be missing here? What are your experiences installing the fairing? Instructions are poor with faded installation instructions....Please help me figure this out. I have sent a message to the seller but I am hoping to get some real installation experience from the forum.

Thanks,
freezingalaskan
(Marcus)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Marcus, I bought my OEM undercowl from Honda of Bournemouth. As I remember the instructions that came with the undercowl were reasonably clear. I know that all the parts were with it.

The "M6 X 25" button head allen bolts is referring to a diameter and thread pitch, not the number of parts. M6 is a 6mm bolt with a 25 / mm pitch (at least that's what I'm thinking). IIRC, there should have been three of four of those that went into a rubber piece that popped into the undercowl to expand that into holes in the fairing.

Who did you buy your undercowl from?

OP
OP
freezingalaskan
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Phil,
Thanks for your quick response....What you are writing makes sense...it appears that I do have the M8 rubber wellnuts, but not the M6 bolts. Your take on them being 25mm pitch also seems correct. I should be able to get them tomorrow at local hardware store. I think they should have been included because that would have made the installation so much easier to understand. Anyway, I bought the fairing from Doble Motorcycle out of England, and they delivered fast. So, it appears I will be able to rap this up thanks to your clarification first thing tomorrow after store opens.

Again, thanks for your help.

freezingalaskan
(Marcus)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
To help.... I bought a used Skidmarx. The 6mm is diameter(.236"), 25 mm is the length(.984"),the pitch of the thread would be fine or course(probably course 1mm like a 1/4 - 20 tpi). These bolts are flat head, socket head to turn with allen wrench. Bolts fit into a special turned stainless steel washer that has a deep c'sink to accept the flat head bolt. A thin rubber washer goes behind that on outside, the thicker rubber washer goes on inside of cowl to cushion between fiberglass and bracket. The bolts should be stainless steel to prevent rusting.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You could probably get those bolts at your local hardware store (True Value and Ace have good hardware selection). Ours has a good selection of metric stuff. Or online if you have to.

And the description of metric bolts is correct. 8x40 means an 8mm dia and 40mm length. And there are three pitches, 1, 1.25, and 1.5 You can find that by removing one of the existing bolts and measuring it. Count number of threads in 10mm (1cm). 10 means it is a pitch of 1, 15 is 1.5 and 12 is 1.25

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for clarifying the difference between pitch and length in metric designations.

One of the things I love about this forum is that I keep getting the chance to learn new things. Sometimes I'm learning the same new things I learned last month, but that's an advantage of old age!

Discret

Hello Phil,

My NT is low faring equiped.It was sold with it .Is it the same one you bought?
If necessary,if it helps you,it is possible to make photos!

CUL

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Discret, I don't need pix of the OEM fairing. That's what I've got on my NT and it's what I'll keep. Thanks for the offer, though!

Top Bottom