TomTom Rider question

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm interested and have been looking at the TomTom Rider GPS. Does anyone know the difference between the Rider 400 and Rider v5?
Thanks for the info.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Before I purchased mine for $299, I was thinking about waiting for the 400. I Googled and many are not happy with the new model. Some sites (I checked many) said it more of a car GPS then a motorcycle. So I figured why spend a couple of hundred more and not get much, except being able to run vertical. I don't need the features of the high end Garmin, and the 400 just did not seem like a wise upgrade from the latest version out now. I want to plan routes, be able to see the screen and find a gas station, POI, and I think I get that in this version. Heck I ride a bike that is based on a 15 year old design (and a 84 BMW) basic seems to work for me, and still write out roads for my tank bag.
Google, the 400 as it out longer your get more information. I need to replace the car unit I was using, so I made the plunge, and the V5 may get cheaper too.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I used the Tom Tom app on my iPhone 5. I found the screen too small for it, but, I wanted to try out Tom Tom as I had never had one. I have to say I am used to a larger Garmin screen and the larger Samsung screens. iPhone 6 may have fixed that.

The only things Tom Tom did that Copilot did not was the curvy road thing and showing the speed limits on the current road (which my Garmin does when I care to hook it up).

Around here the curvy road thing does not really do much. There are only so many roads between here and there. Easy to pick the good ones. :) You guys in more populated areas might have different experiences, or, if you are in a part of the country you have never been before it may work better than just looking at a map.

Pick between Garmin and Tom Tom? It really just depends on which interface and screen layout you like better.

In twisty turf like Quebec, PA or West Virginia Winding Roads is fab.

Many lovely backroads like this all effortless and the surprise is the fun...I went to Virginia with no particular roads in mind other than Back of the Dragon and found two days of lovely riding....one really startled me as it popped me to the BRP by some devious back route....

Get tired of the twists??...hit the Fastest button and slab home.

With X-mount you can bring the phone in pretty close for much easier viewing/reading....many mount their Nav device too far away

This was very easy to use and read on the 3 week trip we took out west....that's the switchbacks on the top of Beartooth

I leave the handle bar mount just loose enough I can change the tilt to avoid glare. This was on the Vstrom but would work fine on the NT.
That is an iPhone 5 with a battery extended case but I have it powered all the time on the bike.

I'd not use it under plastic in a tank bag....will overheat.
You do need power.

Just setting the NT up for some fall riding - looks to be better in cool weather than the Vstrom.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
On way down to Skyline, I used twisty on TomTom Rider, took me down some very nice roads in Ohio. did take me for short sections on 30 but only short time. I now have a couple of roads to ride again if headed this direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom