Too Nice to leave behind VX800

kenstone

A local independent mc repair shop put this VX800 on Craigslist on Saturday, I saw the ad on Sunday, was there when they opened on Monday, and they had 2 voice mails about the VX.
They had always serviced it and the customer brought it in to sell, needing money.
They bought it, cleaned it, applied the shiny/slippery stuff to everything but the tires, and put an ad on CL.
The tires are Shinkos and I believe the po had them put on, before he decided to sell it.
Oh, all that, and I was touring Oregon, and arrived home late saturday night, after 4 days on the road and no 'puter.

A bad time of year to sell and we danced around me trading down my S50 for the VX and some money from him.
He knew the S50 would be gathering dust in his shop until spring if we traded, so I opted to have it gathering dust in my garage, and just bought the VX outright.
I have too much stuff bolted onto the S50 to just give away, and now I can remove it before selling it in the spring.
Hey, it's a V twin, shaft drive, what's not to love.
my 3rd VX:eek:

OP
OP

kenstone

Thanks for reading my post
It's a 1991 VX800, same motor as a VS800 cruiser
Ken

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Very nice bike...you can never have too many bikes, just too many wives who don't agree with this fact.
It is a good thing I don't have a lot of money, I would want too many bikes like Jay Leno.

Nice find. I had a 90 luxury maroon VX for nearly 15 years, many great ride and great stories on that bike. Sold it looking for "something better," which lead me to the VStrom 650 and then to the NT. In some respects I found "something better," and I am getting happier with the NT, but I am not sure I have ever found something clearly better for me. I still miss the torque on the VX.

OP
OP

kenstone

Nice find. I had a 90 luxury maroon VX for nearly 15 years, many great ride and great stories on that bike. Sold it looking for "something better," which lead me to the VStrom 650 and then to the NT. In some respects I found "something better," and I am getting happier with the NT, but I am not sure I have ever found something clearly better for me. I still miss the torque on the VX.
Thanks for the post.

My recent NT purchase was to replace my 1st VX that has developed a noise in the secondary drive.
I have since aquired a replacement secondary drive should it proove to be the outward part that's bad (not likely), and a complete motor should it be the internal half of the secondary that's gone bad (most likely).
I think the VX was the 1st "naked" bike before someone branded a Ducati as such, and at about 100 pounds lighter than the NT, as well as having a lower seat, is to me, the sport version of the NT.
I have yet to ride a PC800 but it is another bike that interests me for the type of riding I do, and I would never consider a chain bike to replace any of my Vtwin shafties:smile:

Top Bottom