Top Box identification...a little help please

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
Last week I found a top box for sale on Craigs List for a reasonable price becuase it didn't have a key or a mounting bracket. Ten minutes at a locksmith's shop and the key problem was solved. Now I need some help identifying it.

As you can see from the pictures it looks very much like the OEM Honda box for the NT700. I've looked it over and can find no identifying labels or part numbers. I'm half tempted to go ahead and order the OEM bracket but it would be at some expense and hassle if I had to send it back. Would you please look at the pictures and telll me what you think? I have more pictures if that would help.

Thanks,

Attachments

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It's just like my top box except for the color. The OEM brackets should work fine.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Hey, you found my stolen top box on craigslist. when can I get it back? Just kidding.

Garry, it looks identical to my OEM top box too,including the bottom tabs that have to match trunk base. Looked all over my box and couldn't find any part numbers either.
Also you'll need:
Rear Trunk Base,part number 08L42-EWL-800, usually $162.95.
Rear Trunk Bracket, part number 08Z51-MEW-100, usually $43.95.

The Base & Bracket can be bought from South Sound Honda in Tacoma or Olympia for $127.80 and $34.20 if you don't mind picking up parts at their store. They always seem to be the cheapest anywhere around....and I'm not associated with them, they just sell cheaper.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
That is an original equipment top box and I hope you got a good deal on it, as that will make the bracket prices easier to swallow.
They don't come up for sale at low prices very often. I got mine 2 years ago, for about $50.00 I think, plus shipping, (Ebay) and it is my favorite farkle. I've never seen another one come up for sale that wasn't at new price.
Mine was brand new, with only the little lid straps missing...which I understand is the weak point. Evidently a dealer gave the customer the straps and got the whole box warrantied. I installed straps made from electrical wire with crimped on terminal eyes , and it has worked perfectly. (This was someone else's suggestion here on this forum)
I would suggest adding a little super glue around the little red ends where they attach to the lid and base. Add it before they start to weaken and pull out, as the screws are tiny going into plastic. A little blob of good glue won't be noticed and mine gets used every day on my commute to work. The top box saves using the panniers with the weak catches, as much.
I sometimes take it off when just riding for pleasure, especially if it is windy. I think it does catch a little more wind.
One caution: I put a bowl with some of my wife's left over Italian salad in it after a church dinner, and it turned over on the way home. I have scrubbed it, Fabreezed it , baking soda'd it , and let it set open in sun all day trying to get that smell out....but after a year, I still smell garlic everytime I open it!
I can think of a few odors that could have been worse, though.

I

OP
OP
its just rain
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
Thanks all for the comments and the suggestions. With your great feedback I went ahead and ordered the bracket and base today (thanks Dan for the part numbers). I was going to fashion my own bracket but the idea of easily taking it off was too appealing.

I will take your suggestion dannyjo about the putting some glue on the ends, that sounds like a good idea. Also your caution about what I might haul in it is appreciated. I forgot and left a banana in a top case once, I couldn't believe how that plastic absorbed the odor.

I wish it had been the red one but at the price I think I can live with a black case and red bike.

Best regards,

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
You may want to try cat odor remover available at a pet store. Works quite well.

OP
OP
its just rain
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
UPS came through with the base and bracket needed to put the box on the NT. Wow you guys weren't kidding when you mentioned all the pieces.

Before I started I went back and reviewed the how-to video. It reminded me to put some tape under those square nuts. That sure saves a lot of time trying to find them if they drop down into never-never land.

The installation was very easy because I had put the JC Whitney box on last winter. The directions were adequate but would have been a little lacking if I hadn't already opened up those two extra holes when I put the other box on.

Thanks again for all your comments, it looks pretty nice. Here are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

Top Bottom