Top Box

bodgerbloke52

I have just fitted the Honda top box to my NT700. Has anyone any inkling as to why it is designed to move side to side?? It really does seem as queer as a nine bob note.

Roger

elizilla

I know it's intentional but I continue to not understand it. According to the UK guys, it's supposed to do something to reduce the effect the weight has on the bike. But it seems to me that it would just make it worse!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have just fitted the Honda top box to my NT700. Has anyone any inkling as to why it is designed to move side to side?? It really does seem as queer as a nine bob note.

Roger
Answer below

14/07/2006 - Honda’s ‘floating’ top box!
If you’re a regular long-distance tourer, you’ll know the difficulties encountered with a fully-laden top-box.

With its fixed weight, it can be difficult to allow for it during cornering or in high winds. With this in mind, Honda has come up with a solution: the ‘floating’ top box.

This uses a mounting plate which allows the top-box to move left and right – just like a ‘model’ passenger would, ensuring that the weight is in exactly the right place during any manoeuvre. In addition, this design of top-box is much more aerodynamic than many previous models, again making sure the rider is hindered as little as possible by the weight.

For more on the ‘floating top box’ concept, including a video demonstration, then point your web-browser at: www.mc.honda-eu.com/uk/en/tech/ftb/index.jsp

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Somebody apparently challenged their physics...and Honda lost.

That's one of the goofiest ideas I've ever heard. If something moves in response to wind or lateral forces during cornering, the something will always get to the end of its range of movement. And then the resultant force vectors at the end of the movement transmit a force to the bike that will upset and do so unpredictably.

I sure am glad that my CooCase doesn't "help" me like that.

bish79

That's one of the goofiest ideas I've ever heard.
I agree. Plus, mine got "wobbly" after a while, so my solution was to tighten the bolts (that they specifically tell you not to tighten all the way) as tight as I could. Voila, no more wobbly top box and no more sillyness about a "floating" top box.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rubber shocks sound like a pretty good idea. One of the things I like about the CooCase I've gotg is that it has a liner that seems to protect things from damage from rubbing and vibration.

Discret

Hello guys,

On my french Travel edition,the topbox is also moving left to right .I asked the seller the reason why this happened ans his answer was exactly the same .This is to stop shimmy in the handle bar.Tires pressure is also very important
That s what i was said

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I'm guessing that the Honda top box does not have a quick release mechanism like other brands.

bish79

I'm guessing that the Honda top box does not have a quick release mechanism like other brands.
i'm not 100% sure what you mean by "like other brands" but it does have a quick release. Remember that the Honda top box is just a rebadged Givi box. The float mechanism is in the mount.

OP
OP

bodgerbloke52

I thought that would get a lively discussion going. Pity the link does not work as it may shed some light on the subject of the wobbly top box. Must confess, in my well over half a century of motorcycling I have never come across such a concept.
By the way, please excuse my Brit lingo, I am from the English Midlands, now resident in Spokane WA since 1980. I still try tro use the vernacular. "Queer as a nine bob note" is a old one. A bob used to be a shilling before we were over run by the common market. There was no such thing as a nine bob note.

Roger

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I still try tro use the vernacular
You just have right at it, Roger, and we'll all say, "Right, then. Bob's your uncle." (That sounds Brit-like to me, but probably isn't.) All my Brit-vernacular comes from my favorite motorcycle magazine, "Bike."

And, now that I think about it, I believe "Bob (or is it Dick?)'s your uncle" came from Anthony Hopkins playing Bert Munro in "The World's Fastest Indian."

bish79

"Queer as a nine bob note" is a old one. A bob used to be a shilling before we were over run by the common market. There was no such thing as a nine bob note.
So I guess the "American English" translation would be "Queer as a 3 dollar bill."

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
i'm not 100% sure what you mean by "like other brands" but it does have a quick release.
Givi and Coocase are the only other's I'm heard of. Glad to hear there is a quick release on the Honda top box. Thanks.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Glad you "splained" what the heck a nine bob note is (didn't want to seem stoopid by asking).

elizilla

Did you hear the joke about the counterfeiters who made a mistake and created a bunch of eighteen dollar bills? They went into the bank and tried to get them changed, and the teller said "Sure, we can do that! Would you like two nines, or three sixes?"

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
A Priest, a Rabbi, and a Minister walk into a bar.....

Wait, better not tell that one here.
Of course you can tell that one here. IF it's a new one. I love clergy jokes, but there are hardly ever new ones. And the old ones are...well...just old.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike, I don't know that I have ever heard that one. One of the joys of aging is that sometimes jokes I told yesterday sound completely new today when I hear them re-told.

OP
OP

bodgerbloke52

So I guess the "American English" translation would be "Queer as a 3 dollar bill."
AAh saay old sport, spot on what! Jolly good show. It must have been Churchill who said, "If the natives don't understand you, just speak louder"
And GB Shaw opined of England and the US, "Two great Nations, divided only by a common language"

Roger

prof98801

I just purchased a 2010 NT700V from Spokane Powersports. Where did you get yours? Where do you take yours to get serviced? Do you have any problems with your dealer? Any cautions that I should be aware of when having them set it up for delivery? They are storing it for me for the winter as I live in Central Washington.

Top Bottom