Toyota Subsidiary Daihatsu Rigged Safety Tests

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
And it ripples over in to Toyota and Subaru vehicles sold in the USA. See Here
I wanna Canbus! Interestingly, the WSJ had an article about Cummins putting in an emmision sensor (s) bypass device in 100 of thousands of Dodge Ram Pickups and is spending $59 million on a recall to remove them and will pay a 1.7 Billion dollar fine in return for not having to admit guilt. One wonders what they were thinking? They submitted a vehicle for emissions testing and it passed so why then install a bypass device when you know at some point you will be caught?
IMG_20231228_212331107.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In the last few paragraphs of the article, it implies that the defeat device was not a discrete hardware item but rather a software calibration issue. Either way, Cummins got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The HD diesel truck wars is an intense battle between the big three domestic manufacturers and if one can get a slight HP edge on a competitor that represents a significant advantage in sales. After the VW diesel debacle of yesteryear, I'm surprised any of the engine suppliers would attempt such a stunt.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
It goes to show that maybe Gov't is imposing unrealistic emission restraints.
Diesel emissions are under intense scrutiny, much more so than gas, the diesel particulates cause respiratory problems in populated areas. The regulatory loopholes for medium duty and larger trucks, which were based mostly on GVWR, are closing up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It goes to show that maybe Gov't is imposing unrealistic emission restraints.
That could be the case or at least close to it. But if so then the manufacturers need to go public with that, show the proof, and go nose to nose with the Greenies. Don't go along by faking it and then losing your credibility when you're caught. Now people won't believe your lying butt when you make the claim it can't be done. And you can bet the Greenies will remind everyone you're a liar.

But I'm much more concerned with Toyota's issues than Cummins. Toyota's faking safety certification data can kill people and probably has in the last thirty years. Were the Subaru's we owned actually as safe as their marketing claimed? I'm glad we didn't test it. All for the bottom line...so much for Japanese business ethics being superior to anyone else.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In the last few paragraphs of the article, it implies that the defeat device was not a discrete hardware item but rather a software calibration issue. Either way, Cummins got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The HD diesel truck wars is an intense battle between the big three domestic manufacturers and if one can get a slight HP edge on a competitor that represents a significant advantage in sales. After the VW diesel debacle of yesteryear, I'm surprised any of the engine suppliers would attempt such a stunt.

Mike
Me too.....but they started so long ago...... 2013?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Diesel emissions are under intense scrutiny, much more so than gas, the diesel particulates cause respiratory problems in populated areas. The regulatory loopholes for medium duty and larger trucks, which were based mostly on GVWR, are closing up.
Correct. I have COPD and those particulates are aweful on older vehicles. But those arent the only bad things coming out the pipes....People who roll coal should have their trucks impounded, have to pay the EPA fine of $4,819, and impound fee. And any state laws broken would have to be delt with. I would raise the fine, reopen the State of WA emissions lanes and set them up for Diesels back to 2010.

Top Bottom