Track Day with NT?

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
1Q) Has anyone done a track day with an NT?

If yes, how was the experience?

I know, the probability of trashing the plastics is very high ... but just asking for now :)

Look for "Track day with Deauville" on Facebook. There are some awesome videos of guys who catch sport bikes in the corners.

I did a half day cornering and braking refresher on my NT700 a few years ago.

The bike knew what to do far better than I did and I never felt uncomfortable or “out of my depth”.

I would do it again and probably should do it this year.

Seagrass

I just watched a YouTube video of the Deauville at the track. Made me smile. The guy was eating the sport bikes up in the corners. He got killed on the straights, but very impressive riding. I cringed each time I heard him dragging parts of his bike, but I was vocally cheering him on!

You can ride a track day with any bike you want, as long as it will pass the tech inspection. Track Days are not sport bikes specific and I'm sure many a racy bike owner has been embarassed by an old Gold Wing passing him/her on a curve at speed! :)

Last year Mike Jr and I did the Dragon in NC/TN and there was a guy and his wife on a 'Wing who cleaned everybody's clock! Impressive!

Mike

I have a club friend who rode a Yellow GL1500 and he loved to skunk sport bike mounted guys on The Dragon. He leaned his Wing so far to the left & right and so often that the footpegs were only about an inch long! ;)

My personal opinion: any "track day bike" better be "disposable" (i.e. you can afford/willing to throw it away for parts once it's wadded up on the track due to your own, or someone else's, error in judgement). Better to get the riding/handling experience of the track on a beater bike than one of your daily riders.

A Fast Rider can ride a Slow Bike fast, not so much the opposite.

Best advice I got for track days was to start gradually, don't scare yourself, build out your comfort zone through repetition, and most of all, leave yourself the energy to take advantage of the afternoon sessions when many riders will have quit and you'll have the place pretty much to yourself.

You can even bring a friend to the track.
hmm...
Prior a ride the firST lesson every pillion learns is to stay in contact with my back... always... unconditionally... n o l o u n g i n g !! :rolleyes:
Riding as one tight unit keeps CG centered, due the contact our lean/postures match exactly, she peeks over my inside shoulder, eyes horizontal, viewing into the turn exit line just like me...
And we practice such extensively during motorcycle safety trainings (much to the appreciation of the instructors...), a (good) pillion is an active part of the ride, not freight/only passenger...

Besides that it F's up handling and totally messing up your line, I'd never be comfortable with having a passenger dangling so far aft...

hmm...
Prior a ride the firST lesson every pillion learns is to stay in contact with my back... always... unconditionally... n o l o u n g i n g !! :rolleyes:
Riding as one tight unit keeps CG centered, due the contact our lean/postures match exactly, she peeks over my inside shoulder, eyes horizontal, viewing into the turn exit line just like me...
And we practice such extensively during motorcycle safety trainings (much to the appreciation of the instructors...), a (good) pillion is an active part of the ride, not freight/only passenger...

Besides that it F's up handling and totally messing up your line, I'd never be comfortable with having a passenger dangling so far aft...
Boy, I dunno..... I'd be a LOT less inclined to want to have another feller hugging my back riding pillion. Now a pretty lady with ummm... comfortable "pillows" now that's a different story....

:thumb:

Mike

Boy, I dunno..... I'd be a LOT less inclined to want to have another feller hugging my back riding pillion. Now a pretty lady with ummm... comfortable "pillows" now that's a different story....

:thumb:

Mike

LOL! On our 2nd date, I took Joanne on a ride on the back of my GL650. We rode over a 10-mile stretch of twisties and was as stiff as a board, so I stopped at a store to get us a coke. After about 30 minutes stopped, we got back on the bike and the first curve was in less than a quarter-mile. She relaxed and leaned into me with her "femininity" and I was in love. :2up13:

Back
Top Bottom