Trail Ridge Road June 1, 2015

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I needed to go to the County Clerk's office in Estes Park, so it seemed like a good idea to hit Trail Ridge Road - after all, I was almost there already! Ok, I headed into Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park and pulled off at a rather low elevation viewpoint parking area.

I walked a bit to the viewing area and saw

Long's Peak in the distance. I'm not riding there, but I will get to 12000 feet at the top of Trail Ridge Road.
I looked below me to see the many "parks" (as the valleys are called) in the distance.

Well, I can't just let my ride sit

so I rode a bit for another photo op.
tt
The path of the Lawn Lake flood is still visible.

Now we are getting high. Long's Peak is in the distance.

Along with other peaks.

There is still a bit of snow along the edge of the road.

At the "tourist trap" at the top of Trail Ridge Rd. I met a group of riders from Australia. They were here for 15 days and had rented Adventure Bikes from a place in the Denver area. Several BMW GS versions, one KTM, and one Triumph Tiger. I remarked that I hoped they had a grand time here, and got a a reply of "How can we not?" Too right!

One last photo of Long's Peak in the distance, and it was time to head back to Estes Park and home. A very enjoyable ride, even with the thunder shower as I was heading home from Estes Park.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken, Did you sell the Triumph? I'm guessing you've still got the FJR. The CB looks great! How does it compare with the Triumph? See you before too long!

I'm going to ride to Spearfish on Tuesday. Wanna' ride up together?

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil, I've sold both the Triumph and the FJR. So I have the CB and a 1973 BMW R75/5 (and a 1978 Yamaha 125cc dual sport, don't use it hardly at all, so I have to keep reminding myself that I actually have 3 bikes). I really can't give you a good reason why I have the BMW. Nostalgia I guess, I had a 1970 R75/5 back in the day. Unfortunately, I can't leave on Tuesday, it will be Wed. if I'm lucky, otherwise Thursday.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Thanks for the preview of the ride I will do end of June!!!!

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
You are welcome. Let me know the details of when you plan to be at Rocky Mtn Nat Park and I'll see if I can ride along on that part of your adventure.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Why did you sell the FJR, Ken? I thought they were the perfect bike. :)

Ken, thanks for the pictures. Still a lot of snow on the peaks. Like Phil, I'd like to know why you changed. I've looked at the CB fairly closely. What do you think of it?

Terry

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Ok Phil and Terry, I'll try to explain. I test rode the CB on impulse when I saw it at my favorite Longmont CO motorcycle dealer, Rocky Mtn. Kawasaki. Well, I really liked it! It had nothing on it, just a stock standard motorcycle. I'm pretty sure I would like a 2014 CB1100 DLX even better since it has a bigger tank (4.6 gal vs 3.9), a 6 speed gearbox (my 2013 is 5) and ABS. There are some 2013 CB's with ABS, but the one I bought is not one of those. Like the NT, new they were $1000 more then the 2013 non-abs models. But for me, the real reason was that the CB just felt right. It does not feel top heavy at low speeds, the seat is lower so I feel more comfortable with my stubby legs being able to reach the ground easier, the reach to the handlebars is less (I did put a Helibars kit on the FJR to help that out) -- I just feel really comfortable riding it. I certainly could have kept the FJR but it seemed to me that the FJR would sit a lot since I would be taking the CB except perhaps for multiday trips. I decided I could outfit the CB so that it would do at least a decent job as a sport tourer so I've installed a Plexifaring II, leg shields (similar to Baker Air Wings that I had on my Valkyrie) a luggage rack, a Givi adapter for it so I can mount my top box, etc. I've had the SW-Motech mounts for Givi side cases on order from Twisted Throttle for months, they finally got at least one in and it should be at my door tomorrow, so by Saturday it can carry hard saddlebags too. My remaining big farkle that I will get for it is a Russell Day Long seat, I'm trying hard to hold off until I can catch a sale on these, likely this November. For me it just did not make sense to have the FJR sit in the garage most of the riding season, with is what I believe would have happened, so, as they say, May is the time in Colorado to sell motorcycles, and that's what I did. No regrets so far. So now I again own a Honda 2 year wonder. Honda imported them in 2013 and 2014. They are not importing them this year and who knows if they ever will again. However, since they were sold in Japan since 2010, there are quite a few accessories available, you just need to buy them from there, and at least one company makes that easy to do. Guess I can't do a good job of describing just exactly why I really like it, but I do -- chain maintenance and all.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
plan to ride RMNP on Tue 6-23. I have 3 days I can rotate rides depending on weather 22-24

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You came up with a perfectly plausible reason for the change when you described the CB by saying, "I just really like it."

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Terry, I am getting 50-51 mpg out of the last 2 tanks. Now that is not interstate riding, just 2 lane between Lyons and Longmont, Lyons and Estes Park, and runs on the foothills 2 lanes. I will have a better idea of mileage at higher sustained speeds after the run to Spearfish for the rally.

Ken, As others have said, Great Pic's and great bike. I've been over that route in a car but never on a bike. Hopefully that will change one of these days. Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One of the interesting things about Trail Ridge is that they've lowered the speed limit from 45mph to 35mph, and in my opinion, it makes it a better ride. Traffic doesn't seem to accordion as much. Count on an hour and a half if you don't stop, but if you don't stop, you're going to miss a lot.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thanks for the pictures. They keep reminding me to point the front wheel west.

Top Bottom