Trailer Hitch Anyone?

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
He was an interesting character, as were many "free thinkers" of the day. They seemed to have the ability to put thought provoking ideas to pen and ink. You didn't have to agree with them, sometimes just argue your point of view. Great fun.

Discret

No more news ?
I am very interested in your hitch system .I want to buid one for my french NT....

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Larry,

I am still interested in hitch , I am waiting patiently ?? I am not real interested in Uni-go unless you get the bugs figured out with it. I am more into a two wheeled trailer.

Eldon

I've built several trailers for cars, and found out early on that dampers (shock absorbers) were critical. From the descriptions above, it sounds like the hitch is being used to transfer the motion of the trailer to the rear shocks of the bike for some damping when successful, but any flex in the hitch would tend to defeat this. If that analysis is correct, then the solution is twofold: make the hitch stiffer, if possible, and add damping to the trailer if it doesn't already have some. Damping on the trailer would be the most effective approach of the two.

An undamped trailer could be deadly on a bike, they can be very scary on a car!

Bill

venture93

I've pulled a trailer several thousand miles behind the NT. The hitch was not an easy piece of engineering, but it is still doing fine. For now it is a ball hitch, hoping to redesign it to a swivel this winter. Pulling the trailer uses about 5 MPG on average.

Husker

Bike
Red 2010 NT700V
I built a trailer for my silver wing 500 years ago. Built the hitch too. Still have the trailer. It was like having a rider on to pull it . Took more time to stop. I used leaf springs from a 1956 ford pickup. It took two short ones to carry our load. Pulled it to California and back to nebraska up through to Washington down to California and home. 5700 miles at 53 miles per gallon not bad for a 500. Been thinking of building a hitch for the nt.

skiper

Trailer hitch - there is a guy across the pond who built a trailer for his bandit. great build vids but almost no discussion on ride quality etc. See him at "Delboy's Garage" on Youtube. Maybe he will add his findings..

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
UPDATE!! I do have LL Larry's jitch. It arrived in my mail not too long before I had much riding to do and no time to mess with it. , LOL it is still setting here by my desk unopened awaiting time to get into it. I have not got into a trailer for it yet , although I do have some ideas. I had planned to get serious right after Spearfish, but on the next to last day of trip home the deer strike threw me into a lack of mobility for a couple weeks and now next tuesdy I will be having eye surgery which will incapacitate me further for a few weeks. Hopefully by next spring I will have something accomplished on this project.

When that happens I will post a report.

Eldon

kenstone

I don't have a pull behind single wheel MC trailer, but have seen many designs while searching the net for trailer designs.
Not much others have not seen but it seems most have some type of suspension, usually simular in design to a swingarm.

I have noticed too, the trailers shown here are attached via a universal joint allowing it rotate, are different in that most other designs the trailer is rigid left/right and leans with the motorcycle and follows it's path.

I believe that being able pivot in that plane is what makes the Uni-Go unstable, just aguess though.

Here's a quite different design, with a high hitch attachment, above the tail light, to were a normal rack would be, with no suspension.
http://eaglematetrailers.com/unique.htm

And this one that attaches to the rear axle of Dual Sport bikes, has what is simular to neck bearings to articulate around corners and follow the bike lean.
I believe this guy is developing a model for street bikes too
http://www.moto-mule.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MotoMule
So it could well be the trailer design, and not the hitch causing the problem:shrug2:
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom