Traveling flat repair systems?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I kind of agree with you. The advantage is they are a bit faster than the little compressors. Takes me about 30 min to fill an empty tire from a compressor. That includes the time it takes for the tire to cool a bit and then refill again. The compressors get so hot that the air going into the tire has expanded, when the tire cools the pressure drops quite a bit, so, you have to air it up again.

The CO2 cartridges are different in that regard. The expansion of the air makes it cold so you have to be careful not to put too much it. The one time I used my "kit" I put 4 (or 5) CO2 cartridges in and then did the last bit with the compressor.

So, the CO2 is for convenience, and, in case the battery is dead too ;) Not very likely, but, since a tire event is about the only roadside maintenance I will ever do on this bike I'll take both with me. I don't even bother carrying a tool kit anymore (I carry a Leatherman everywhere so I have the basics even when not riding). I do carry duct tape and bailing wire :)
That's a very good point, those compressors will be quite hot depending on how much work they're asked to do. I can see using the c02 cartridges to get an initial fill and then letting the compressor top-off the tire.. for the same of speed and getting back ON the road and not ON THE SIDE of the road. Might as well cover all bases.. I may get some... thanks.

I think this is why I like this site so much. This is excellent, expert guidance. I've thought about this for awhile also. I do have the credit card and the AAA card for towing, but when I'm on the west coast of Vancouver Island with no 'town' within many miles, I'd like to be able to get going again, particulary if my wife is riding pillion.

Terry

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
At first I just carried this mushroom kit from Stop & Go.

I bought 4 additional CO2 cartridges as 4 wouldn't likely be enough to inflate the tire if was completely flat. The objective of this kit is to plug the tire and inflate the tire to a reasonable pressure to allow me to limp to a location to get either more air or replace the tire.

Unlike the sticky rope kits, the mushrooms don't have adhesive that needs to be regularly refreshed so it is a bit more of a "forget about it" kit.

I then started carrying a small compressor from Slime.

This kit is small enough to not take up much space. I now have a air source to completely inflate my tires. The directions for this compressor do warn you to not run it more than 10 minutes continuously without letting the compressor cool/rest a bit. To inflate a completely flat tire, this compressor would take about 15 minutes of running but it would do it. I would just need to let the device rest about half way through.

I find myself using the compressor to top off/adjust my tire pressures when on long trips. It is quite convenient to carry. One word of caution when using these compressors. You'll want to make sure the bike is running. They draw quite a bit of power and you wouldn't want to run your battery down only to be stranded for a different reason. :eek:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Unlike the sticky rope kits, the mushrooms don't have adhesive that needs to be regularly refreshed so it is a bit more of a "forget about it" kit.
However, the mushrooms do get old. I had a kit that was about 5 years old and tried to plug someones tire with that and it kept leaking then I took a plug from my newer kit and it sealed right up. They come in a sealed plastic bag that has oil residue on the inside so once you open that, I have a feeling the clock starts ticking. I'm decided to get a new bag o plugs every couple years if the bag has been open.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
However, the mushrooms do get old. I had a kit that was about 5 years old and tried to plug someones tire with that and it kept leaking then I took a plug from my newer kit and it sealed right up. They come in a sealed plastic bag that has oil residue on the inside so once you open that, I have a feeling the clock starts ticking. I'm decided to get a new bag o plugs every couple years if the bag has been open.
Yes. Once the bag is open, getting a replacement set would be a good idea.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I don't have the stop & g0 - I have a Dynaplug which was talked about awhile ago on this forum. It seemed really simple to use. But I have never used it so I cannot speak to its effectiveness!

http://www.dynaplug.com/

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I don't have the stop & g0 - I have a Dynaplug which was talked about awhile ago on this forum. It seemed really simple to use. But I have never used it so I cannot speak to its effectiveness!

http://www.dynaplug.com/

I had one of those and recently tried to use it to help someone plug a tire... not sure but I think over time the worms expand a little, couldn't get them into the metal tube and tried twisting them to get them in and the brass tip broke off.. I just threw it away.

Another tip... don't just go buy this stuff and stick it in your bags.. try it out first so you'll know how to use it.. you'd think some of it is pretty obvious but when it's 100 degrees and traffic is flying by you while you're in all your gear, the simplest stuff becomes quite complicated.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Does anyone know of any retailers that sell the Stop N Go kits so I dont have to buy it online?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Walmart might carry it but that's a bit of a tossup from store to store. I've also seen these kits in well stocked motorcycle dealerships. Sears may also be a good place to check.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I went with the Stop N Go mushroom kit with Co2 plus 90 degree adapter and added the Slime palm size compressor.
Between that and my raingear, my right pannier is spoken for...(I may add a Leatherman)

tawilke46

Last edited:
Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
Might want to consider putting Ride-On in your tires. I've had it in my tires for over a year now but haven't had to test it yet.
+ 1 for RideOn (I'll never ride without it)

Saved me 2X: Once when I was just leaving the homestead to the Dragon and picked up 3 nails (Construction), normally this would have been a planned vacation deal killer, but i "Rode On" (After plugging it of course) The funny thing is I think I rode 4K more miles on that back tire and when I changed it (I change my on tires), I inspected the holes, and sure enough - ride on was still congealed (not runny).

RideOn also provides automatic balancing so you don't need wheel weights, and as the tire ages - the ride on fills in the weight changes due to centrifugal force etc.
Very cool stuff

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
OK folks. Today my stop n go kit and my compressor came in. I hope I am not tempting the Fates by asking, but if and when I have to make a repair on the road, do I want to be on my sidestand or my centerstand to make any repairs?
My initial thought is that being on the sidestand will give me more weight to push against while rasping the hole...
Clay

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, I've put bikes on the centerstand because you don't always (or even usually) know where the hole is when you have the flat. Centerstand makes it easy to rotate either wheel until you find the puncture and/or puncturing object.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
OK folks. Today my stop n go kit and my compressor came in. I hope I am not tempting the Fates by asking, but if and when I have to make a repair on the road, do I want to be on my sidestand or my centerstand to make any repairs?
My initial thought is that being on the sidestand will give me more weight to push against while rasping the hole...
Clay
Two things to consider.

Locating the hole and fixing the hole.

Assuming that we are talking about the rear tire, locating the hole may be easier on the center stand. However, if the tire is flat, getting the bike on the center stand will be significantly more difficult than when the tire is full of air. If you have problems getting the bike on the center stand with a fully inflated tire, you'll likely just want to roll the bike until you find the hole.

Repairing the hole is probably best done on the side stand (if we are talking about the rear tire) with the bike IN GEAR. The transmission will provide resistance to the bike rolling forward. With the bike on the center stand, you could easily push the bike forward off the center stand unless you strap the hand brake lever to engage the front wheel's brakes. You'll just want to make sure that the bike is secured from forward motion before you begin pushing forward on it when reaming the hole.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'd say the centerstand is the easyer way to go but as Rmcapozzi pointed out don't push the bike off the stand.
I did that once to a 650 Yamaha with the back wheel off. The swingarm came down on my big toe. That cost me one of my thankfully few trips to the ER for several stitches.

Brad

Top Bottom