Traveling flat repair systems?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Here's a question for you more experienced long haulers. I will plead ignorance at the outset, I guess I have been super lucky with tires all these years.
BUT
Is there such a thing as a flat repair system or kit that does not require you to carry a portable air source ????

I hope I don't draw howls of derisive laughter with my query

Clay

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Here's a question for you more experienced long haulers. I will plead ignorance at the outset, I guess I have been super lucky with tires all these years.
BUT
Is there such a thing as a flat repair system or kit that does not require you to carry a portable air source ????

I hope I don't draw howls of derisive laughter with my query

Clay
Not that I'm aware of. I have heard of some that will connect to a spark plug hole but that would be a hassle to me. Just so much easier to just carry a small compressor along with the mushroom AND worm type plugs... otherwise, there's AAA.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I see where Slime makes a palm size compressor that can hook up to your battery. I may get one of those
Any recommendations on a plugging kits?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Clay,

By "portable air source" I "assume" you mean a air compressor... There are several kits that use C02 cartridges to attempt to re-inflate a flat tire after being plugged or patched. However you need to carry so many C02 cartridges it is usually simpler / cheaper/ more effective to carry a small air compressor... I have a Stop and Go brand Tire kit with the C02 cartridges, and a spare set to boot, but I still carry a small "Slime" brand 12VDC compressor. There are also kits that claim to use your engine as an air pump and supply an air hose that goes from a spark plug hole to the tire... I have never personally tried that setup as pulling a spark plug to inflate a tire seems like way too much effort...and fuel vapor in my tires in not something I want... Finally the best system, IMHO, that doesn't require a portable air source is a good Cellphone, Road Service plan and Credit Card...:D

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I use this Stop N Go tire plugger (mushroom plugs)
http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pocket-Tire-Plugger-%2d-For-All-Tubeless-Tires.html

I use their compressor, it's smaller than the Slime one and works just a little faster.
http://www.stopngo.com/mini-air-compressor-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs-only/

I also carry the worm style plug kit just in case the mushroom type doesn't work
http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-t-handle-tire-repair-kit/

You can probably get the worm style at walmart cheaper.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I carry the small slime one on the bike as well. I leave the lead for the battery tender accessible and just connect it to that.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I'll join in on endorsing the slime compressor. I've had the spark plug hole type and indeed they work (and do not pump the actual fuel/air misture into the tire). But they're not easy to use and it's not all that comforting to be pulling a plug out in the rain/wind/blowing dust, even assuming a plug is readily available. Plus the engine is going to want to run (dumb thing that it is) on N-1 cylinders.

Like others, I have ready access to a battery tender tap to attach the compressor. Perhaps ironically, I have no normal use for a battery tender for my NT, but what the heck.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A little while back my local Target was selling the small Slime air compressors for $9.99... I'll take being a bit slower for that price! :D I have this Stop&Go kit with four extra C02 cartridges wedged in the bag. Now that my "bike" has two car tires I also carry an automotive sized can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I've had the spark plug hole type and indeed they work (and do not pump the actual fuel/air misture into the tire).
Good to hear that was changed, but now I curious as to what is happening to the Air Fuel mixture the motor is creating in the "pumping" cylinder? Is the unburned fuel mixture from that cylinder being sent on in to the exhaust system or vented off?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks for the info. I've never felt the need to carry plugs n such, but suddenly feel irresponsible if I don't. Maybe because I'm taking my wife on our first ever Moto-holiday in 3 weeks. I dont want to be caught unprepared out in BFE if she's with me. If I was alone it would be a different story

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I also have the slime compressor and the CO2 kit. The compressor is handy if I need to add some air to the tires too.

I have the std tire plugs. They have worked for me before in emergencies.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've carried tire repair stuff since 1999. I've had an air compressor almost that long. I've got the little one that Aerostitch sells and it works pretty well. don't know how it compares with the Slime one, but this takes 10-12 minutes to air up a front from zero psi and about 15-18 for a rear. If I was doing it again, I might spring for the Cycle Pump solld by Whitehorse Press. It's a better design, even if it is more expensive ($100).

Except for a rubber valve stem failure, I've never been moving when I discovered a flat and, until Spearfish this summer, I'd never had a flat anywhere except right here in my own driveway. I'd helped other folks fix more flats than I'd had until this summer.

I've had mixed results with the Stop n Go mushroom plugs. I've had them last as long as 4,000 miles and as short a distance as about 1510 miles (the Spearfish episode during the Rally this summer). I'd fixed that one just before leaving on a Bun Burner Gold attempt. It got me to Spearfish and then went flat the next day while we were having breakfast.

The plug had apparently fallen into the tire. We tried gummy worms, but the PR3 was tough to ream out and we couldn't pull the gummy back out to seal the hole. It held air long enough to let me get to the campground and then I had to be towed to Rapid City to get a new tire.

So, I'd definitely carry more than one tire repair method, but I'd definitely have a compressor. Any of them would be better than CO2 cartridges, I think, and I can't really imagine going through everything you'd have to do use a spark plug hole as a compresson on the NT.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is the kit I carry. So far I have not had to use it except to adjust pressures.

Packed

What's in it

As always, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Question to Mellow and Chuck 500... I have passed on buying several small air compressors because they didn't have an angled fill connection and I didn't think I could get it on the valve stem. Yet yours appear to be the straight type. I have the angled valve stems from Kurvey Girl but they probably won't get installed until I get new tires which is several thousand miles away. So the question is; does the straight connector from the air compressor fit on the stock valve stem?

Side question to Chuck 500... What is that short hose shown in your picture?

Thanks

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Question to Mellow and Chuck 500... I have passed on buying several small air compressors because they didn't have an angled fill connection and I didn't think I could get it on the valve stem. Yet yours appear to be the straight type. I have the angled valve stems from Kurvey Girl but they probably won't get installed until I get new tires which is several thousand miles away. So the question is; does the straight connector from the air compressor fit on the stock valve stem?

Thanks
I can only comment on my ST1300 and Super Tenere... on BOTH, it's a pain but they can be manipulated enough to get it to work.... I'll probably be putting the Angled valve stems on the ST as it's the toughest to deal with. There are also some angled adapters out there where you can screw them on just for adding air.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A nice addition to the tire repair kit is a short adapter hose with a 90 degree connector. That makes accessing straight valve stems a lot easier, especially on a bike with dual disc brakes. I carry the MoTrax Tire Inflation Aid I reviewed Here. I have seen similar adapters in Tire and RV stores...

Attachments

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I kind of agree with you. The advantage is they are a bit faster than the little compressors. Takes me about 30 min to fill an empty tire from a compressor. That includes the time it takes for the tire to cool a bit and then refill again. The compressors get so hot that the air going into the tire has expanded, when the tire cools the pressure drops quite a bit, so, you have to air it up again.

The CO2 cartridges are different in that regard. The expansion of the air makes it cold so you have to be careful not to put too much it. The one time I used my "kit" I put 4 (or 5) CO2 cartridges in and then did the last bit with the compressor.

So, the CO2 is for convenience, and, in case the battery is dead too ;) Not very likely, but, since a tire event is about the only roadside maintenance I will ever do on this bike I'll take both with me. I don't even bother carrying a tool kit anymore (I carry a Leatherman everywhere so I have the basics even when not riding). I do carry duct tape and bailing wire :)

Bike
Silver NT700V

Thanks
The straight connector from the pump will connect to he stock valve stems. However, as Mellow indicated, it is difficult and a general PITA. The little hose is the MoTrax adapter mentioned in one of the following posts. I picked it up at Cycle Gear. Unfortunately, I did not see it there the last time a went. If you find one, or something like, it really is a great tool and makes the pump easy to use.

Good luck,

Chuck

Top Bottom