Tread depth

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Does anyone know of a reliable field expedient method for checking tread depth? I hate to sound cheap, but I really don't want to buy a depth guage.
I have my new PR3s waiting in the closet and I'm itching to put them on. At 6200 miles, my OEM rear is looking a little worn and squarish but I don't want to waste good rubber if I don't need to change yet.

Clay

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Does anyone know of a reliable field expedient method for checking tread depth? I hate to sound cheap, but I really don't want to buy a depth guage.
I have my new PR3s waiting in the closet and I'm itching to put them on. At 6200 miles, my OEM rear is looking a little worn and squarish but I don't want to waste good rubber if I don't need to change yet.

Clay
An old "rule of thumb" that has been used forever is to recommend tire replacement when there is less than 2/32" tread remaining. Using a common penny, place Lincoln's head in the tread groove and see if you can see the top of his head. If you can, you have less than 2/32" tread remaining.... don't get much cheaper than that!

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I just replaced my OEM rear at about 7K. It could have gone longer, but I hate riding on a squared off tire. I measured it with a plastic caliper (about $15) and I had about 1/32" to the wear bars and 3/32 total tread depth. So I wasted 1/32 of good rubber. The new PR3 is nice (as are all new tires) and I'm still scrubbing it in. No evaluation yet.

I'm contemplating replacing the front as well and it is no where near worn out. It is just cupped and makes an annoying buzz and vibration. I could improve that cupping if I could just figure out how to do a front wheel burn out.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
place Lincoln's head in the tread groove and see if you can see the top of his head
Well, Mike...According to the "Lincoln method" at 6,600 miles, my OEM rear is done.I don't know if our Texas Farm to Market roads are to blame or if its the concrete superslab that wore it out so fast.
So off to the shop tomorrow and I am putting my new Michelins on. I'm excited.
Thanks for your input!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I am sure you will love the new tires, I put my PR 3's on and got 12,500 out of the rear, it probably has another 2k left but I have some serious riding left yet this fall so it is time to change it out. I will probably get another 5 k out of the front, I know I didn't get Rick's milage out of the rear, BUTT I did some pretty agressive super slab miles with heavy load and hot weather probably most of which was a good 10 over posted on S.D, MT. ID & WA. roads , not to mention the slow rates in Oregon, same conditions on the OEM would probably only have given me 5,000 mi. Never a moment of worry with the PR3's in the wet.!

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A penny is certainly cheaper but tread depth gauges are pretty inexpensive. This one is only about $5. I would think the local auto parts store might have them.

The other way is to make your own. A small wood dowel with measured markings on it. You could even use a rubber o-ring to help "save" the measurement marking.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Tread on a tire is there to move water. It also gives you a visual of how much tire has worn away. Tires are usually at there "fastest" right before you can see the air inside, In dry conditions that is. They also tend to become more puncture prone as they wear down. The best reason to swap them out is uneven wear that is tough to measure but real easy to feel just running your hand over the tire.
As my second season with 023's draws to an end they may get swapped out not due to tread depth but uneven wear that just does not "feel" as good as "round" rubbber does.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Besides, being low on tread, I have some sort of foreign object in the tire that isnt causing a leak yet, so I don't want to tempt fate by ignoring it. It has a copper look to it but no head like a nail or screw. It may be the end of some kind of brad or staple, but still, the tread is pretty low and i am going on a trip next week, so what the hey

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't change tires until the rear is a slick. The treads on a street tire don't do much, even in rain. They are important in dirt and mud.

Top Bottom