Triumphs

Bike
Bonneville T120
My vertically challenged wife has a Burgman 400 and an old Suzuki Savage. She's only been riding a motorcycle for 2 months. She become quite proficient, however I know the Savage won't satisfy her for long. Therefore I've been seeking bikes that might suit her size. THe Honda Shadow has a very low seat height, but the Triumph America is almost as low, the same weight but offers more horsepower.
Since I started looking at Triumphs I have become fascinated with the Bonneville and I have started thinking about a second bike for me. Any comments?????

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
If you're interested in the Bonneville you may also be interested in a 2000-2001 Kawasaki W650. You won't find a new W650, but it is great looking 1960's Bonneville clone. Many claim it is a better motorcycle than the Triumph, I don't know. Good, low mileage W650's routinely sell for ~$4000, and have been holding their values for the past 5 years. I have a 2000 W650 that doesn't get ridden much since buying the NT, but I am keeping it for now. It is a fun, light, great looking retro motorcycle. Love that classic Bonneville look.

elizilla

My advice is to leave it alone, and let her decide when to get something else, and what else to get. Bike shopping is really fun! It's not fair to her, to take it over from her. Take her to bike shows, let her pick something. Or not - if she doesn't choose another bike, maybe she likes what she has.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
I think a few of you missed my point. Whenever she is ready to look at something else, I want to be ready to help her. I wouldn't push her at all.

My real question is what about Triumphs, particularly Bonnevilles, as a second bike for ME. After all, it's all about me!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think a few of you missed my point. Whenever she is ready to look at something else, I want to be ready to help her. I wouldn't push her at all.

My real question is what about Triumphs, particularly Bonnevilles, as a second bike for ME. After all, it's all about me!
Before purchasing the NT I considered the Bonneville. As a long time parallel twin fan I thought I might like a modern take on the theme. I test rode one and read a lot of good reviews on them. Like the NT they are not high speed bikes but would make for a good commuter and weekend ride.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I bought the new Bonneville when it first came out. The bike seemed a bit underpowered but was very nimble. The biggest issue I had with it was the dealers keep closing and getting any service / warranty work done was a PITA! Also being an early adopter I ran in to the lack of "farkles" issue...that should be resolved by now. If you get one and need a centers stand let me know, I have the kit sitting in my garage....:rolleyes1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
We looked at some Triumph bikes on our Mini Rally today. They sure look like the Triumph bikes I remember and loved in the 60s---no Tupperware, easy access, and all that good stuff---very retro, which is nice. I would like a Thruxton and make it into a Cafe Racer---or a 900cc and fit it with a sidecar. there are so many possibilities.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
The Bonne America was the spouses 'step up' bike after riding a Rebel for a few thousand miles. The Shadow Aero was mine. Both are wonderful bikes. fairly low seat height, plenty of power, very comfortable on long trips, provided you replace the stock seat with a Corbin (Bonne) or Mustang (Shadow). Both will cruise at 70-75 mph all day long and get mid 50's on mpg.

sadly, neither of us like the forward control, cruiser style of bike any more and neither bike has been ridden in over a year.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I remember in the 60s the Bonneville was THE bike to have. It had two carbs. The TR-6 was also offered which had a different colour scheme and had only one carb. My TR-6 had a "luggage rack" on the tank to which I affixed a tank bag with a map window--not many bikes had that farkle back then. We used those bikes for touring and all that stuff.

By today's standards the Bonnie is underpowered as is almost everything retro. I wonder what the press will say about the Norton that has made a comeback. I like underpowered and I like the weather protection the NT has.

I have to say that the new retro Triumphs are beautiful and very nicely finished.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
My TR-6 had a "luggage rack" on the tank to which I affixed a tank bag with a map window--not many bikes had that farkle back then. We used those bikes for touring and all that stuff.
I know a guy in CO that has a barn full of old bikes. We bought a 1967 Guzzi Stornello with 400 miles on it from him. One of the two dozen Triumphs he had was the one with the luggage rack on the tank. I almost bought it, but had no way to get it home (we stuffed the Stornello into the Element). Not a scratch on the bike, and it had all of 49 miles on the odo.

Top Bottom