Trying the ABS?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's just wrong. It assumes that you can actually regulate the brakes properly in less than ideal conditions. Yes, on gravel roads or on snow packed ice you will stop longer, but, as you say, you still can steer. So instead of sliding under the car you can try and steer around it. Worth it in my book.

And when you need it is not normally on dry pavement, it is when you are at the greasy spot at an intersection or a patch of sand or mud is in your path.

If you think you can out brake ABS on the road in ANY condition, then you are deluded into thinking you're riding at the level of a F1 champ. If you don't have ABS you are going to get yourself killed with that thinking. OTOH, you may get lucky and never need it to save your life. I had ridden for 20 years without it and never needed it, including a couple of real emergency stops (only a couple in over 20 years of riding). Was glad I had it when I needed it.

If you don't have it, all I can say is practice, practice, practice. And not on dry pavement. Go out to an old parking lot that has sand and leaves on it and practice fast stops. If you are getting there you'll either drop the bike a few times or feel the wheels lock a few times (or at least come close to it). I'd suggest a dirt bike and play with it on gravel until you are used to the bike sliding around. Then graduate to pavement and do the same. Then do some 'drifting' on pavement with the bike. Then work with variable surfaces, pavement with sand patches. Pretty soon you'll get used to the limits and where they are. And you still won't out brake ABS on the road for 90% of the situations.

No, you don't have to do this and in the majority of cases it won't save you from an accident or getting killed. It will only make a difference in a very few cases, which you probably will never encounter in your entire riding lifetime.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My good ol' 99 Buick Century has ABS and traction control. I love it when we've got snow and ice on the roads and deliberately break things loose so I can feel the ABS kicking in. Being able to steer and have the car go where I point it is an amazing and wonderful thing.

Out here every 3rd or 4th vehicle seems to be a 4WD SUV and the drivers think they're invulnerable. Every time I go anywhere out of town after a storm you can bet that if there are 10 cars in the ditch, 9 or 10 of them will be SUVs. I feel safer in my Buick. It's got a lower CG and I know it's got traction limits and reduce my speed accordingly.

Back in the early 80s, I lived in Casper, WY, and my wife and I used to go boondocking with our front-wheel drive '80 Honda Accord. Except for ground clearance issues, I could go nearly anywhere with it that people got to with their SUVs.

Front wheel drive is, for the most part, a very good thing. FWD with ABS and traction control is GREAT!

The only bike I've ridden with traction control is the Ducati Diavel. I didn't do anything to give myself the experience of activating the traction control on that ride.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I started this post several weeks ago and am just now getting around to seeing if anyone responded. Wow!

I've learned a lot about the function of ABS and more importantly, its limitations. And while I've ridden it 10K miles, I shall make it a point to practice some with it on a dry parking lot. Thanks for everyone's input - TWOTL at its best!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Fresh powder snow and loose dirt are two instances that locking the wheels will help you stop faster. I don't want ABS on my dirt bike. Yes on a dual sport "if" I can turn it off. A road bike on the other hand I won't buy without it anymore. There was a time in my life that keeping more balls in the air than an airborne division was less of a problem than it is today. Just don't practice maximum effort stops as much as I ought to to keep the automated responses up to snuff.

You can not hold on and ride out a high side crash. You get launched like you are riding a catapult. ABS can help you avoid that. It does not repeal the laws of physics or make you any smarter. What it does is apply maximum brake force available while keeping the wheels from locking. With or without in other words you will probably crash on black ice.

I am not too proud to take any help I can get.

bicyclist

Good idea. The BMW GS models have an option to turn off the ABS when riding off pavement. I think it should be an option on all bikes with ABS.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The time the ABS on Jezabell helped me I thought I was dead. My goal was simply to slow down as much as I could before I crashed. We stopped before that ever happened and did not get run over from behind. All I did was stand on the rear brake and pulled in the clutch and brake levers as hard as I could. Downshifted more times than the bike has gears just out of habit and came to a full stop with my feet still on the pegs and upright.

Had to walk myself and the bike to the side of the road, didn't think I could modulate the clutch at this point with the adrenalin flowing like it was.

I marked it paid that day. Best $1k I have spent in a long time.

This was a turned left across my lane deal that came without any warning at all that there was a real schmuck about to try and kill me.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
This was a turned left across my lane deal that came without any warning at all that there was a real schmuck about to try and kill me.
Sounds like Saudi Arabia. Over here, they will pull into the right or left turn lane and when the light turns green make an opposite turn across two or even three straight ahead lanes just to save a few seconds. Happens to me about once a month on the average. It's not a real safety issue because my company car is a Ford Expedition.

But it is one of the reasons I do not have a motorcycle here.

Top Bottom