Turn Signal Lens

briankay

I get a call from the wife, saying that while moving my NT, she accidently dropped it, on the right side...it fell up against my daughter's bike (which saved it from more damage), but the turn signal lens took the brunt of the fall and cracked and put a good size hole in the lens. After ordering the replacement part, $20 including shipping, I'm ready to install it.

Does anyone have knowledge of the "How To"? Or offer up some suggestions...I don't want to do more damage, and by the way I don't have any books or manuals for the NT. HELP!!!

Brian

elizilla

When my bike got knocked over at Vintage Days last year, the turn signal was one of the casualties. I ended up taking the whole side panel off to replace it, but I needed to do that because of my other damage. I'm not sure you can get to all the screws for the signal, with the panel still on the bike. Maybe, maybe not. You can take the bulb out, with the panel still on, and then there aren't any wires to worry about. But getting the panel off is hard. You might prefer to have a manual. Perhaps someone can send you those pages from an electronic copy? I know some people here have them, but my copy is paper.

Have you had any of the bodywork off before? Here's a rough outline:

1. Take the seat off.
2. Take off the soft rubber strip around the gas tank under the nose of the seat - it just pulls off.
3. Take off the plastic thing between the seat and footpegs. It's two-tone and has several tabs and posts, but no tools are needed to get it off.
4. Take off the black plastic thing from the tipover wing. It has one screw on the underside.
5. Take off the black plastic thing with the vent slats that's in front of your knee. One screw, several tabs. Pull the post out at the back, flex it vertically, pull it towards the back. It takes a scary amount of bending.
6. Take off the pocket cover. Open halfway then pop it off the hinge, no tools needed.
7. Take off the pocket. One easily visible screw, two screws in the hinge, a screw by the steering head, and there's a bolt on the side of the tank that will give you wiggle room if you take it out. There's a sort of ear that wraps around the top of the tank, held in place by a hook and a square of dual lock. Start from the side towards the center and peel it up off the dual-lock, and stick a piece of cardboard in to keep it from sticking back together. Once the dual lock isn't hampering you, you can push the ear down and slide towards the outside to unhook it, at which point the whole thing can be maneuvered out. There's a whole post thread on this somewhere, with pictures.

Once you have the pocket out, you can see into the cavity where the signal is. Perhaps you can replace it from here without taking anything else apart.

elizilla

Actually you don't have to take the tipover wing cover off unless you're taking the whole side off. But the rest of it, you'll need to do to get to the pocket. And the pocket has got to come out.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I read somewhere that the Shop Manual is available for viewing on the Honda Owners Club site.

OP
OP

briankay

Thanks Katherine...wow, it sounds like a lot of nervous bending and pulling to get those covers off! I hate plastic tabs...they always seem to break and you end up with a loose piece. Anyway, your explanation is greatly appreciated and it makes me wonder why I bought a bike with all this plastic molding, lol. I'll search for the thread you mentioned and maybe get lucky to do this in one-weekend's time!!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
wow, it sounds like a lot of nervous bending and pulling to get those covers off! I hate plastic tabs...they always seem to break and you end up with a loose piece.
Brian, The good news is that after the first time (the time when you break a tab or two), plastic removal gets a whole lot easier.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Most of the plastic seems rather forgiving. Remember, a lot of it has to come off and on to do routine services. It can't be too fragile or Honda's income would be spent on replacing plastic. Start with the engine guard covers and move to the black middle covers to get used to the feel.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The plastic tabs are a pain until you get used to them. Take your time the first time in and don't force anything. Once the plastic is off and you can see all the tabs and screws it gets easier but some of the stuff is hidden until you remove it.
Hopefully you have already replaced the lens by now. I'm a little behind reading the posts. My computer crashed last weekend. The NT plastic is not the only thing around that is a pain at times.

Brad

Top Bottom