Twisted Forks

ps6000

Does anyone have a procedure on how to properly align the forks/handlebars on an NT? Mine are a little off, not sure if they are bent or not but worth checking here first. I can unbolt everything but would prefer to follow a procedure if there is one.

Thanks,

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I used this Chassis Alignment procedure before. Read thru it, it has some advice on front forks. You may want to just loosen the front fork triple trees and eye ball the forks back to parallel as best as possible, then try the chassis measurements.

OP
OP

ps6000

Thanks, I am going to try loosening it up. Do you have a picture on exactly what needs to be loosened? I am just worried about not loosening up enough. I think 4 at the top at least, then the two at the bottom that hold the axle. Anything else?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Not sure it you are trying to check for bent handlebars or for bent forks. So I gotta ask.....Did the front tire or forks hit something? Or did the handlebars hit something? ....or both? Inspect the forks for evidence of hitting something if you are unsure if the forks hit something. Forks can get bumped and move the triple tree clamps and make everything appear out of whack and yet the forks are still straight....just need to straighten/align the triple tree clamps.

If you are just checking the handlebars, put the NT on centerstand, straighten the front wheel, loosen the four bolts on the handlebar clamp, position the bar evenly in the clamp left to right. Snug the handlebar clamp bolts. Now look at the bars from a little distance from behind the NT, squat down and look at the handlebar tips. Do they look equal distance to the ground? Measure it if not sure. Rotate the bars full right and full left and check measure the distance from grip ends to the tank at their closest point. If it is more than a 1/4" roughly, the bars may be bent. If there is big road rash mark on the bar end weight, the bars may be bent. It is not easy to know for sure unless you take the bars off and lay them on a flat surface and see the tweeked bars.

If you think the forks are bent, try doing some of that chassis alignment...it should become very obvious at some point.

If you think the forks and the bars may be bent, check the chassis first. If you are able to prove the forks are true & the chassis is straight, then check the bars.

Hopefully someone with serious frame experience will chime in and tell me I'm all messed up and that there is a better way.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's rare for the misalignment to happen at the top between the triple clamps because the distance between them is relatively close. It's more common for the problem to be at the bottom with the axle nut & pinch bolts. I'm assuming that the bike was not in a accident since it wasn't mentioned.

This is what I always do after the front wheel has been off-and-on. With everything hand-threaded, first make sure the axle is fully seated on the left side, then tighten the pinch bolts on that side. Those are the two bolts (12 mm head) that are just below the axle on that side. Now, apply the front brake and pump the forks up-and-down a few times. Now, tighten the pinch bolts on the right side. Finally install the axle nut and torque to specs.

If you do it out of sequence, it's possible to "pinch" the bottom ends of the forks so they are closer together than at the top. Pumping the forks up-and-down allows them to free float and find their true parallel position before the pinch bolts are tightened.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Not sure it you are trying to check for bent handlebars or for bent forks. So I gotta ask.....Did the front tire or forks hit something? Or did the handlebars hit something? ....or both? Inspect the forks for evidence of hitting something if you are unsure if the forks hit something. Forks can get bumped and move the triple tree clamps and make everything appear out of whack and yet the forks are still straight....just need to straighten/align the triple tree clamps.

If you are just checking the handlebars, put the NT on centerstand, straighten the front wheel, loosen the four bolts on the handlebar clamp, position the bar evenly in the clamp left to right. Snug the handlebar clamp bolts. Now look at the bars from a little distance from behind the NT, squat down and look at the handlebar tips. Do they look equal distance to the ground? Measure it if not sure. Rotate the bars full right and full left and check measure the distance from grip ends to the tank at their closest point. If it is more than a 1/4" roughly, the bars may be bent. If there is big road rash mark on the bar end weight, the bars may be bent. It is not easy to know for sure unless you take the bars off and lay them on a flat surface and see the tweeked bars.

If you think the forks are bent, try doing some of that chassis alignment...it should become very obvious at some point.

If you think the forks and the bars may be bent, check the chassis first. If you are able to prove the forks are true & the chassis is straight, then check the bars.

Hopefully someone with serious frame experience will chime in and tell me I'm all messed up and that there is a better way.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Further to this excellent procedure the only other thing that I sometimes need to do is to loosen the lower triple clamps (leave the upper triple clamps tight) before you pump the forks up and down several times. Then tighten the lower triple clamp.

This procedure can be helpful if the forks are "twisted" between the upper and lower triple clamps (which is quite common if the front forks or wheel have had a hit of some kind)

OP
OP

ps6000

Someone hit my front wheel while I was parked. I could see the evidence by a scrape on the fender, and a movement of the kick stand. Didn't really notice till I got on the bike and saw everything was crooked.

From what I take it, loosen the lower clamps, then see if they align by pumping the forks. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks, I appreciate all of your help here.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Loosen the lower clamps AND the axle nut, pump a few times and then re tighten lower clamps and then axle.

Hopefully it will then be OK

OP
OP

ps6000

Everything is good now. I needed to put the wheel between my legs and give it a little twist but everything stayed in center. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom