Two Important Things Today

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Today November 4th, 2021 marks two important things for me.

1. Today I have completed my 48th Anniversary around the sun. I have earned my "Old Guy" Merit Badge sometime ago when I received my first Senior Discount on a meal 8 years ago without asking for one.
  2. Today also marks the 4th Anniversary of purchasing and picking up my NT from Crestline, CA.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Congrats on the 48th round trip around the sun :) and best wishes for many many more ...

Happy BDay to the NT also ...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bruce, you're not officially old until AARP sends you your membership application. That happens when you turn 50. The first time I used the AARP discount I was insulted when the desk clerk didn't ask me to prove that I was that old.

I'm 78 now, going on 79, and Tuesday and Wednesday I was carded for alcohol purchases. Tuesday was at the grocery store to buy beer; yesterday was at a restaurant to buy a drink. I don't remember being carded ever before. Go figure....

You may not be old yet, but you're gaining on it.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Bruce, you're not officially old until AARP sends you your membership application. That happens when you turn 50. The first time I used the AARP discount I was insulted when the desk clerk didn't ask me to prove that I was that old.

I'm 78 now, going on 79, and Tuesday and Wednesday I was carded for alcohol purchases. Tuesday was at the grocery store to buy beer; yesterday was at a restaurant to buy a drink. I don't remember being carded ever before. Go figure....

Phil carded for Alcohol ... Lols ...

I get AARP applications once every few months :)

maybe owning a NT has something to do with that ....

Sunny

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
carded 8 yrs ago?????!!!! gotta grow some hair on top that bald head , or get rid of that grey. you sure was fast on buying NT to joining this old man forum on 7th!! happy 4th here

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

I had one when I was 40, my wife is older than I am by a decade and a half. Spouses get a membership cards too. So, I was omitted to the "Old Club" at 40 as I said before. :shrug2:

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
carded 8 yrs ago?????!!!! gotta grow some hair on top that bald head , or get rid of that grey. you sure was fast on buying NT to joining this old man forum on 7th!! happy 4th here
I still have a full head of hair here. However, it's has been grey for over a decade now. I wanted an NT back in 2010. I had an ST1300 at the time, so I did not see a point in getting it at that time.

Most of my friends are much older than me. My parents had me in their 40's, so I was always around mature people most of my life.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Suffice to say I have a few more laps around the sun than you! :rofl1:

At least to me, the worst part of AARP membership is the landslide of crap they send you in the mail each week. My United Health Care supplemental insurance is via AARP but I'd ended my actual membership.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
At least it's polite stuff... 😏

Over here you receive promotional mail from the municipal funeral administrative upon turning 50... 🤔... WTF?!! :rofl1:
That starts here in the USA after you turn 60 years old. The biggest one is the Neptune Society Cremation Services. They are quite aggressive with their mailings once my wife turned 60.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
That starts here in the USA after you turn 60 years old.
I always shake my head when politicians argue about unemployed people over 50 are difficult to place, when the discrimination in the labour market already starts at mid-40...
And then they obviously expect you to croak at 50 so you won't strain the state pension/retirement founds... 😕

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Maybe in the next 100 years, it will be like that movie Logan's Run. You turn 30 and you go to "Carrousel" to be "Renewed". ☠

Reactions: JQL
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I've never counted the AARP mail I get but it is a bunch, Emails also. The only reason I got it was the discount at the breakfast place I frequented.
Getting old has it's plusses and minuses. It is working out so far for me so I think I will continue the trend.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When you get to be age you start getting all kinds of information from Memory Care and Nursing Homes.

I can't remember what that stuff is about it....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
How many of you who qualify for the "senior discount" actually ask for it, and why?

Mike

At least it's polite stuff... 😏

Over here you receive promotional mail from the municipal funeral administrative upon turning 50... 🤔... WTF?!! :rofl1:
That's funny. Circling the drain mail at 50. Next you'll be flooded with erectile dysfunction, adult diapers, and retirement home adverts.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
How many of you who qualify for the "senior discount" actually ask for it, and why?

Mike
Unfortunately I frequently forget to ask if a senior discount is available. I guess I have not accepted that I crossed into senior territory.

Top Bottom