Tying an NT down on a trailer?

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm looking at an NT700V in another state. If the deal happens, it will require a day trip to retrieve it.

Can any of you provide instruction, or otherwise point me to a tutorial on how to best tie an NT down on a trailer?

Thanks in advance!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have many details but I think if you remove the tip over wing covers it adds a good solid frame loop for tie down straps. A wheel chock (or couple 2x4's screwed to trailer floor can't hurt.

Arknt

That's how I hauled mine home, about 200 miles from west coast of FL to east coast. I have a small utility trailer. I bought a new set of motorcycle tie downs, and removed the tip over covers - there is a nice bar underneath to hook too. Also tied the rear from the grab handles - did not pull those as tight and had small towels between the tie and the saddlebags. I did not have wheelchocks, wished i did. I had to use more rope to tie the front rim to the trailer and it still moved a bit. The cover has an allen bolt, not too large, maybe a # 6 or 8, not sure. Bring a metric set with you.
Some pics attached i found from the day i bought it, shows how i moved it. I recommend adding the wheelchocks of some type to keep the front forks straight.
20181110_131633.jpg 20181110_131642.jpg

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks to you both.

My trailer has a wheel chock installed so I'm good there.

And someplace I have an old specialty tie down that has cups for the handlebars. The cups go on each hand grip, then there is a loop for connecting a tie-down strap that connects at the trailer frame. I couldn't use it for my Gold Wing because the Kuryaken grips were too large (in diameter), but I'm thinking it should prove useful on an NT.

Assuming nothing falls through, I'll make pictures when I do the pickup.

We used those those tie-downs with the loops for the handle bars (forget the brand name) to haul a PC800.....very similar. They work great. The only thing I will add is that you can NEVER have too many tie-downs. They will make you relax more during the haul.

Cliff

Thanks to you both.

My trailer has a wheel chock installed so I'm good there.

And someplace I have an old specialty tie down that has cups for the handlebars. The cups go on each hand grip, then there is a loop for connecting a tie-down strap that connects at the trailer frame. I couldn't use it for my Gold Wing because the Kuryaken grips were too large (in diameter), but I'm thinking it should prove useful on an NT.

Assuming nothing falls through, I'll make pictures when I do the pickup.
I put soft ties through the lower triple tree fork clamp, and attached my ratchet straps to them. Braced front wheel. Ran ratchet strap through rear wheel pulling rearward and opposite the front straps. 120 miles, stopped early to check/ tighten straps.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"... someplace I have an old specialty tie down that has cups for the handlebars. The cups go on each hand grip, then there is a loop for connecting a tie-down strap that connects at the trailer frame..."

It's called a Canyon Dancer and helps to get the straps away from the sides of the fairing. I have one and have used it from time to time.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think you will find that between a wheel chock and the tip over wings you will have no trouble. I sometimes run two forward and diagonally plus two straightout to the side. have trailered mine many times like that with no issues

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So it followed me home. Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the motorcycle, and the rider's group. I'm not bashful about asking questions, but will try search first as to not create more digital junk on the server.

Best to all for a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, and keep the shiny side up!

2023-05-28 10.50.28.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
So it followed me home. Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the motorcycle, and the rider's group. I'm not bashful about asking questions, but will try search first as to not create more digital junk on the server.

Best to all for a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, and keep the shiny side up!

2023-05-28 10.50.28.jpg
Lower triple and crash bars, excellent choice...

Top Bottom